Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Watched the second half of the BC game. Leonard had one 10 bell chance but Jellvik elevated that pass for no reason and then later in the shift setup Stiga with a great pass. The goal gods and Jellvik are not fans of Leonard atm.

Cristall with a goal and assist so far tonight.

Reactions: Marshall

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Watched the second half of the BC game. Leonard had one 10 bell chance but Jellvik elevated that pass for no reason and then later in the shift setup Stiga with a great pass. The goal gods and Jellvik are not fans of Leonard atm.

Cristall with a goal and assist so far tonight.
How has Chesley looked? Did he look more poised on defense this year?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
How has Chesley looked? Did he look more poised on defense this year?
I have seen him play yet, but i did just get FloHockey so i can catch some games. But he has 2 goals and an assist in 4 games. Last year he had 2 goals and 6 assists. Freshman year he had 2 goals and 8 assists. So he is look good out of the gates (on stat sheet).

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Curious if they sign him this year.
I hope so. Longer it goes on the more nervous i get. Especially after seeing the Priskie path. There is a third right Dee spot and I think he can overtake Iorio but he needs to get to pros. I just wonder if that is what he wants to do.

If he stays a 4th year I worry about if he will sign with us. At that point two-year entry level deal.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Schmidt off to a torrid start over a goal per game. Plays in the WHL. Remember the name. Smaller than they tend to like and a RW so maybe not altogether ideal...

Smith and Ravensbergen remain my main fit targets (both out of the Dub as well). But among forwards in the mid-to-late range Gastrin checks off a lot of boxes as a versatile, smart two-way type.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I hope so. Longer it goes on the more nervous i get. Especially after seeing the Priskie path. There is a third right Dee spot and I think he can overtake Iorio but he needs to get to pros. I just wonder if that is what he wants to do.

If he stays a 4th year I worry about if he will sign with us. At that point two-year entry level deal.
There's always a risk that college players will not sign, but there's a path to the NHL if Chesley is earns it with Carlson (34) and TvR (33) both getting up there in age (and McIlrath is 32).

Separately, Chesley has consistently attended development camps which I take as a good omen that he will sign. Would be nice to get him in Hershey next year.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
There's always a risk that college players will not sign, but there's a path to the NHL if Chesley is earns it with Carlson (34) and TvR (33) both getting up there in age (and McIlrath is 32).

Separately, Chesley has consistently attended development camps which I take as a good omen that he will sign. Would be nice to get him in Hershey next year.
Devil's advocate - Priskie also attended the first three Dev Camps after the Caps drafted him

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Devil's advocate - Priskie also attended the first three Dev Camps after the Caps drafted him
Priskie would be the perfect person to talk to him about how leaving the organization didn’t help his career in the long run. Priskie is very happy to be back in the Caps organization now, even if he is just an AHL player

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Priskie would be the perfect person to talk to him about how leaving the organization didn’t help his career in the long run. Priskie is very happy to be back in the Caps organization now, even if he is just an AHL player
Amen to that. Culture here is good. There will be opportunity here. That is why i ask, does he really want to play pro hockey or is that secondary to getting his education. He is a solid defenseman and I think he can outbattle Iorio for that next slot coming to DC.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I worry that our lack of contract slots will prevent us from signing him in the spring.
I know we've talked about the total contract number here in the past, but I don't remember the conclusion.

Puckpedia shows them at 49/50 with a notation of 4 players "slide eligible and are assigned to Junior, so they do not count against the 50 contract limit". (Allen, Cristall, Parascak and Mateiko).

On the other hand, Capwages shows them at 47/50 with 6 guys eligible to have their contracts slide. (The same 4, plus Protas and Muggli).

From my understanding of the slide rules the Capwages number is correct. Obviously the team can't add a bunch of contracts without also removing some ... But as long as they don't do that, I think they could sign Chesley (and Leonard?) if the situation dictates before the season is over.

Leonard I think could step right into the NHL and stay there, even if it comes with some growing pains. Not so much with Chelsey, I think he'll need consistent time in Hershey for awhile to be NHL level. (But yes, convincing him to sign after his college season could require them to commit to burning a year of the ELC this year.)

Worth noting that Puckpedia shows 10 current guys scheduled to become UFAs after the season. Both PP and CW list 5 unsigned prospects on their reserve list who must be signed this summer in order to not lose their rights. (Haakon Hanelt, Patrick Thomas, and Brett Hyland by June 1, and Brent Johnson and David Gucciardi by August 15.)

Reactions: Kazer

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
doubt our lack of contract spots would prevent us from signing him, if we really want him we’d make room if necessary (plus he probably fits into hershey’s timeline anyways)

Reactions: Random schmoe

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I know we've talked about the total contract number here in the past, but I don't remember the conclusion.

Puckpedia shows them at 49/50 with a notation of 4 players "slide eligible and are assigned to Junior, so they do not count against the 50 contract limit". (Allen, Cristall, Parascak and Mateiko).

On the other hand, Capwages shows them at 47/50 with 6 guys eligible to have their contracts slide. (The same 4, plus Protas and Muggli).

From my understanding of the slide rules the Capwages number is correct. Obviously the team can't add a bunch of contracts without also removing some ... But as long as they don't do that, I think they could sign Chesley (and Leonard?) if the situation dictates before the season is over.

Leonard I think could step right into the NHL and stay there, even if it comes with some growing pains. Not so much with Chelsey, I think he'll need consistent time in Hershey for awhile to be NHL level. (But yes, convincing him to sign after his college season could require them to commit to burning a year of the ELC this year.)

Worth noting that Puckpedia shows 10 current guys scheduled to become UFAs after the season. Both PP and CW list 5 unsigned prospects on their reserve list who must be signed this summer in order to not lose their rights. (Haakon Hanelt, Patrick Thomas, and Brett Hyland by June 1, and Brent Johnson and David Gucciardi by August 15.)
Strange that there are two different accountings. But if the rule applies to the first 4, then it definitely applies to all 6. So we should have three contracts available. I think those go to Leonard and potentially an add or two. Chesley will sign a PTO with Hershey for playoffs and sign full contract in offseason (as a way to navigate the rules). If we have contracts available then can full sign him immediately. Unfortunately that is all happening behind closed doors so who knows what the convos are.

Reactions: Random schmoe

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Strange that there are two different accountings. But if the rule applies to the first 4, then it definitely applies to all 6. So we should have three contracts available. I think those go to Leonard and potentially an add or two. Chesley will sign a PTO with Hershey for playoffs and sign full contract in offseason (as a way to navigate the rules). If we have contracts available then can full sign him immediately. Unfortunately that is all happening behind closed doors so who knows what the convos are.
Maybe worth pointing out that both Puckpedia and CapWages have the same total number of players at 53. I'm guessing one of them (PP, presumably) has a bug in its code as to which players qualify.

Agree with your analysis of what they can and maybe should do.

Also agree with @Rayquaza64 - if they need to move a contract to sign one of the better prospects, they'll make it happen.

Reactions: DWGie26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad