Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Wheeler considers the '25 class below average at the moment. But that's the key qualifier. Ample time for that to improve...or not. If Desnoyers is available outside the top ten it may be a good draft for centers. Or if Benak sticks, continues to progress and someone like Moore puts it together. We'll see. It's also hard to tell whether guys like Reschny and Mooney will stick there. Gastrin has the look of a sturdy two-way middle six type and if he can up his production could rise up. Overall, though, up front it does seem like a rather small class. That's increasingly common but does introduce more doubt as to future versatility and risk/reward.
I don’t put much stock into whether a class is strong or weak at this point. At this stage last year Eiserman was considered a lock for a top three pick and Tig Iginla was a second round pick. Way too early in my opinion to make snap judgments on the depth of a class. I just reread a few 2024 draft previews written around this time in 2023 and the consensus was 2024 was noticeably weaker than 2023 and lacking top end talent at forward outside of Celebrini and Eiserman.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Absolutely. But it was a question so he answered FWIW. Schaefer's emergence and Frondell getting healthy should add some heat at the top. I'd wait until at least the new year before making more sweeping conclusions about a class. By then roles and situations should be settled into and there should be a firmer sense of a class. Early on it's a fair take, though, I think (again FWIW). But while it's perhaps a bit weaker in the mid-first range I do think Schaefer & Frondell have the potential to be better than anyone in 2024 after Celebrini. Every draft has its strengths and weaknesses. Another positive early on is it may be a relatively strong goaltender group, particularly if a guy like Ivankovic is able to further allay concerns about his size.

It's a class likely to be overshadowed by McKenna next year since headliners tend to define so much. If Hagens walks right into Smith's role at BC maybe he has a Hobey type season ala Celebrini. Even then he may struggle to match the McKenna hype.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don’t put much stock into whether a class is strong or weak at this point. At this stage last year Eiserman was considered a lock for a top three pick and Tig Iginla was a second round pick. Way too early in my opinion to make snap judgments on the depth of a class. I just reread a few 2024 draft previews written around this time in 2023 and the consensus was 2024 was noticeably weaker than 2023 and lacking top end talent at forward outside of Celebrini and Eiserman.
Exactly. Soooo much can change. Lots of development and separation at this age. A lot of players will come from nowhere to somewhere. I think the caps are still mostly protecting their draft picks. May pick up some more. It gives you options. Lots of tinkering to do but i prefer to do it mid-flight versus crashing the plane and starting from number 1 pick.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Random observation (from a random schmoe):

Ayodele Adeniye, the previously briefly discussed "guy from Adrian College" who was a free agent invite to dev camp, has been taking part in the Caps informal skates at Kettler.

Wonder if they're planning to officially bring him into the organization, though I can't imagine they'd sign him to an NHL ELC or start him anywhere aside from the Stingrays.

(If he was just here on his own without official blessing from the organization, I would be very surprised if he was somehow permitted to join in with the actual NHLers.)

Reactions: Marshall

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What an interesting prospect list from Pronman...he still hates Cristall.

Leonard(Bubble top/middle of lineup)
Miro(Bubble top/middle of lineup)
Iorio(Middle of lineup)
Lappy(Middle of lineup)
Parascak(Middle of lineup)
Mateiko(Projected to play NHL games)
Hutson(Projected to play NHL games)
Cristal(Projected to play NHL games)

He then listed these 4 as a chance to play some NHL games.
Chelsey
Kempf
Muggli
Trineyev

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US

Iorio(Middle of lineup)
Lappy(Middle of lineup)

Chelsey
Kempf
Muggli
Trineyev
Just got done reading it. Those rankings are quite bad.

I don't understand how Lapierre, at 22, plays top line center minutes, is playoff MVP, puts up a ton of points, and is still behind Iorio? (who I like but to me has a limited ceiling)

Rating Mateiko above Cristall and Hutson? Even worse.

And apparently Ilya Protas is so bad he doesn't even get HM status.

I'm disappointed I gave that article a click.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Pronman's methodology renders it essentially useless. Instead of something sane like EP's "still eligible to win rookie of the year" qualification, Pronman's list is made of players who are 22 & under. So the Panthers have Anton Lundell who has played 216 regular season and 54 playoff games "in the pipeline."

It's a list of players, though. I'll give him that.

Reactions: Jags and Rayquaza64

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Random observation (from a random schmoe):

Ayodele Adeniye, the previously briefly discussed "guy from Adrian College" who was a free agent invite to dev camp, has been taking part in the Caps informal skates at Kettler.

Wonder if they're planning to officially bring him into the organization, though I can't imagine they'd sign him to an NHL ELC or start him anywhere aside from the Stingrays.

(If he was just here on his own without official blessing from the organization, I would be very surprised if he was somehow permitted to join in with the actual NHLers.)
Probably one of the many FA invites we have each year

Iorio(Middle of lineup)
Lappy(Middle of lineup)

Chelsey
Kempf
Muggli
Trineyev
I think it’s funny how pronman claims that skating is what is going to keep cristall back and then deliberately puts him lower than a guy he gave a poor skating rating to, his evaluations have no rhyme or reason at this point and arguably never have

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Anyone that watched Cristall skate last season, wouldn’t be happy with how he looked. Like at all.

However, it sounds like that Wonder Woman skating instructor (I cannot recall her name) made some real progress with Cristall.

So he may be “sneaky” this coming camp.

Fun to watch!

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Reactions: Calicaps

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
EP Rinkside has been steadily rolling out their prospect pool rankings. We have not been featured yet, with 15 teams left. So we're in the top half, at least.

They had Leonard at #5 in their top 100 "affiliated prospects" list, and Cristall made it on the list too, but just barely at #99.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Finish this sentence:

Ryan Leonard is the most highly anticipated Caps prospect since _______

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I really feel like people are setting themselves up for disappointment with the crowning of Lapierre.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Kuznetsov
I remember Kuzy being voted the best prospect on HF in the summer of 2011 or 2012.

I don’t think Leonard had that kind of hype. He’s not even the most hyped player on his line. Though my biased eyes tell me he’s the best one.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I remember Kuzy being voted the best prospect on HF in the summer of 2011 or 2012.

I don’t think Leonard had that kind of hype. He’s not even the most hyped player on his line. Though my biased eyes tell me he’s the best one.
EP Rinkside has him ranked highest of the 3 in their list of top 100 affiliated prospects (he's #5).

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Crowning? He’s coming in for his rookie year and people are just being positive about what he could bring…..problem?
People are acting like he's a certified stud prospect, and even seen some go as far as to believe he'll be a top 6 level player right away. I think that's setting people up for dissapointment when his most likely "good" season this year is gonna be like CMC's last year. I think even the idea that he's going to be definitively superior to CMC or Protas is not something I'd be willing to throw money down on.

Just seems like people's expectations are too high at the moment.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
People are acting like he's a certified stud prospect, and even seen some go as far as to believe he'll be a top 6 level player right away. I think that's setting people up for dissapointment when his most likely "good" season this year is gonna be like CMC's last year. I think even the idea that he's going to be definitively superior to CMC or Protas is not something I'd be willing to throw money down on.

Just seems like people's expectations are too high at the moment.
I mean, there is reason for them to be very high on him after a 2nd AHL Championship and an MVP.

If he puts up 18g his rookie NHL season, where most of us expect him to be a 3C, I consider that a successful year.

The other two have multiple years now in the NHL. They should outplay him.

I’m interested to see who gets PP time and who gets shuffled to wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad