Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
The easiest play is putting Protas at 3C I think, Mangiapane 1RW and then calling up Miro for 3RW. They need to get Mangiapane going and it's very hard to expect that on the third line. That does make the top line smaller and perhaps easier to play against but that may be worthwhile for a sturdier third line. If they wanted to I guess they could give Miro a shot on the top line here or there. Ultimately 1RW seems obviously where Leonard ought to end up...

There's a lot of merit to letting McMichael lead his own line at center based on what we've seen. How much more could he create from the middle with softer usage? Their options at 3W aren't great currently so it is a matter of priorities. They need to be willing to sacrifice elements in the top six for the sake of more depth and better balance. Better strength up the middle and more balance would seem to be the play. Even if Lapierre gets it going somewhat it's very tough to believe he will be the hardest-to-play-against option any time soon.
I like that more than dropping McMichael but only slightly. I just feel like you finally have a top 6 that seems to be clicking both by the eye test and by actual and expected goals. Ovi -- the man that has not put up good underlying stats since like 2016 -- is at a 60% xG at 5v5! Ovi-Strome-Protas and McM-Dubois-Wilson are 9th and 17th in the league respectively for 5v5 xG share for lines with >50 minutes.

Yes it kind of sucks for Mangiapane to have to babysit the third line but I just don't think it's worth it at this point to mess with what is clearly working during the other ~45 minutes of 5v5 a night just to slightly better optimize 7 of them.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
barbossa-ghost-stories.gif

Best be believin in 3C platoons Mr Lappy, you're in one

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I guess they really like how Protas has played with Alex and Strome, but I really loved that suggestion of Protas to 3C. I don't know if he's actually a center in the NHL, but I'd love to see Protas get an extend time at center to see if he can stick. That'd also let them bring up Miro and reward him for his hot start.

Feel like Sgarbossa feels like an odd fit for that line.

Reactions: Kolzilla

Kolzilla

Sponsor
May 20, 2015
I guess they really like how Protas has played with Alex and Strome, but I really loved that suggestion of Protas to 3C. I don't know if he's actually a center in the NHL, but I'd love to see Protas get an extend time at center to see if he can stick. That'd also let them bring up Miro and reward him for his hot start.

Feel like Sgarbossa feels like an odd fit for that line.
I agree, but I don't think they wanna tinker with a line that seems to be working.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I appreciate that Carbs is leaving the other 3 F lines alone since they're all doing good, no need to split Dowd line up since they're basically line 3 re: TOI

also interesting that he's left the D pairs untouched too, w/Mc jumping to 2RD instead of 3rd pair while waiting for Roy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad