Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Wow… i was all for leaving everything at forward ranks in tact for another game or two. Carbs going the opposite direction and saying, I gifted spots based on having been here and earned it. But one game and out. Despite being ‘wrong’ I’m still all for it. Carbs doesn’t play.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
That was a decade+ ago. Oates was messing with him because Oates was a control freak who always thought he knew best. This is because Ovechkin isn't the player who used to be.
Is he now a left hand shot? What has changed that makes a guy who has played almost his entire career on the LW now better suited to the RW?

Oh wait I just figured it out: it's less distance to and from the bench. It's to help him conserve energy and save him for short bursts of speed :laugh:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Nothing wrong with the move. Unless OV scores 1+, this is nothing more than a shake up and we revert back to the rolling OV out in a coffin until he breaks 99's record
Well when you put it like that, what’s not to like. Carbs continuing to have to spin plates because not everybody can play the both ends of the ice, 5-man connected unit hockey he (rightly) favors. At least it’s only one guy whose D deficiencies/physical compromises/mental checkouts have to be covered up, instead of 4 as it was at the start of last year. Anyway, I like the RW move

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
OV is not going to play RW for more than a shift or two. And I’m taking the under.

What nobody has really mentioned is Protas with OV. Been calling for this since last year. Pro has great eyes, is very strong on the boards and puck retrieval. With Strome being a shoot first center you balance it out having Pro out there. So you have Strome in front of the net, Pro on the boards, and OV cherry picking at the. Blue line.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Is he now a left hand shot? What has changed that makes a guy who has played almost his entire career on the LW now better suited to the RW?

Oh wait I just figured it out: it's less distance to and from the bench. It's to help him conserve energy and save him for short bursts of speed :laugh:
Technically in hockey, if a right handed shooter plays RW, they can get their shot off quicker from the boards, cut off reverse send around of puck easier and be more comfortable for passes for a tap-in inside the post. Playing as a d-man or forward, I always felt more comfortable playing the right side, being a left handed shooter.

OV playing RW will throw teams off for how they normally game plan him to take his good shot away. Even playing as a RW, with cycling/good puck movement, OV could still end up one-timing from his normal office.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
OV is not going to play RW for more than a shift or two. And I’m taking the under.

What nobody has really mentioned is Protas with OV. Been calling for this since last year. Pro has great eyes, is very strong on the boards and puck retrieval. With Strome being a shoot first center you balance it out having Pro out there. So you have Strome in front of the net, Pro on the boards, and OV cherry picking at the. Blue line.
If I remember Kozlov when he played with OV in OV's early career, he always had a pass first mentality, was good along the boards and good at puck possession. Protas reminds me of him in some ways. Protas is also a bigger player than Kozlov(6'4" 232lbs). Would like to see Protas utilize his huge frame more.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013

I've got to agree about protas with ovechkin. I don't think mangiapane is a good piece for that line, but protas should be able to help distribute the puck to both strome and ovechkin.

I don't really care about ovechkin playing right vs left wing at this point in his career. He's not driving play up the left side of the ice and taking advantage of having his forehand on the inside, so it no longer really matters if he's on the left or the right. As long as he's not playing D or C, I don't care.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't think this is panicking. It might just be one game but in reality, it's not. Sonny Milano did all he could to lose his spot in the training camp already and his last season is the sole reason he is still in Washington rather than be in Hershey.

I actually think it's the opposite of panic mode. If you made a knee-jerk decision, it was to cut Milano after the camp and (likely) lose him in waivers. They did it this way to keep several options, hoping one of them finally claims that spot. Milano didn't do it yet so it's Vrana's turn. If he doesn't claim it, then it's propably Milano again and after that you'll start to put Miro back in the conversation too.

I still think it wasn't the right call to send Cristall down because he brings what this team sorely lacks, and that is offensive creativity. He has his deficiencies but so does his competition. Milano and Vrana lack physicality, aren't good along the boards and aren't good defensive players, either. But it is what it is.

It's going to be an interesting week for the 3rd line. Facing 3 really good teams so they really need to make an impact or they are going to be sitting on the bench for 90% of the games.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Way more concerned with McIlrath than the forward changes. The top nine is what it is...a jumbled mishmash lacking that true pace-setting stud. It's going to be by committee until Lenny or Cristall pop in a big way (and even then from the wing that's a harder sell).

I guess Sandin-TVR could be considered the second pair? But not really. Sandin needs to step up offensively. Chychrun ought to cut off any possible PP time for Sandin but it's 5v5 in more of an insulated role where he needs to really make his mark. If he can't do that then IMO he's just holding Hutson's spot warm.
I thought McIlrath did well last year when we had all those injuries. He wasn't a clear liability as far as I remember. Obviously he's not in the starting 6 for reasons, but I'm not too concerned.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I respect the opinions of those thinking that Cristall would of made of difference one game in but the kid is still tiny.
Yeah, but I think he just needs to hit the gym. He's 5'10" and 175 lbs. He can bulk up a bit and start playing bigger. 10 more pounds and he'll look a lot less Matthew Phillipsesque trying to hit 6'3" dudes

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I thought McIlrath did well last year when we had all those injuries. He wasn't a clear liability as far as I remember. Obviously he's not in the starting 6 for reasons, but I'm not too concerned.
The issue is the aggressiveness of his pinches. It's essential he has forward support but at a time when they may be horny for goals it presents some risk. Aggressiveness is good...but patience will be key for this team. Avoiding the big mistakes. Being disciplined. Sticking to it and not chasing or forcing it. Getting timely goaltending.

Eventually Carbery may need to opt for a more boring, passive, defense-first approach because if they get off to a slow start, esp. offensively 5v5, you wonder if they have enough skill/pace/sense to be a front-foot team these days. Lots of changes were made and chemistry in time should improve but it's not like the biggest culprits in the first game were new faces. It was the totally gifted third line. I don't think it's overreacting to treat what's essentially the fourth line as though they'll hardly play now. Totally up to them to earn their way back in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad