Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

McVechkin

Sponsor
Jun 29, 2015
Can someone educate me on the uniqueness of US college prospects? So can they not even sign an ELC and still play in NCAA? Unlike juniors? How long post draft can they remain unsigned before coming a free agent?

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Ovie-PLD-Wilson
Mangiapane-Strome-Protas
CMM-Lapierre-Milano
Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh
13F (Miro, Sgarbossa, etc. based on injuries)

Fever-Carlson
Chychrun-Roy
Sandin-Alexeyev
Bear, TvR

Lindgren
Thompson

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Ovie-PLD-Wilson
Mangiapane-Strome-Protas
CMM-Lapierre-Milano
Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh
13F (Miro, Sgarbossa, etc. based on injuries)

Fever-Carlson
Chychrun-Roy
Sandin-Alexeyev
Bear, TvR

Lindgren
Thompson
dont wanna see McMike on the wing. That's never gone well. Put him at 3C, Pro at 3LW and Jimi at 2RW. I really want to see Jimi at C but he can probably do okay as a wing in the top 6 for now.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

My takeaway from that table is that he does poorly with bad defensive players but does well with good ones. Hamonic is over the hill and Bernard-Docker seems like just a guy. Zub's the only one on that list who's comparable to Roy, and a 43.1 xGF% is pretty damn good for getting only 28.6% OZ starts. That's more impressive to me than putting up a 53.4 xGF% with Chabot while getting 61.5% OZ starts.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
My takeaway from that table is that he does poorly with bad defensive players but does well with good ones. Hamonic is over the hill and Bernard-Docker seems like just a guy. Zub's the only one on that list who's comparable to Roy, and a 43.1 xGF% is pretty damn good for getting only 28.6% OZ starts. That's more impressive to me than putting up a 53.4 xGF% with Chabot while getting 61.5% OZ starts.
I feel like Chychrun and Roy should be the default second pairing, let everybody marinate with practice reps but those two already suit each other by profile on paper and by the way the Caps seem to do D pairings. Since they've also been minute munchers, it allows Fever-Carlson a bit of a break and maybe even some opportune deployments.

Things can float over the season and maybe eventually Chychrun-Carlson is the best option but I wouldn't start there and lose a known pairing that works but could be better utilized. The interesting thing is that I do think you could use a Fever-Roy pairing to just eat brutal assignments and deployments and grind out minutes, I'm just not sure it's best.

The wildest thing would be if Sandin and Roy just mesh like Orlov and Niskanen and suddenly that's the second pair and all these other pieces just have to fall in.

I don't think I phrased this great but that's my current drunk take.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I feel like Chychrun and Roy should be the default second pairing, let everybody marinate with practice reps but those two already suit each other by profile on paper and by the way the Caps seem to do D pairings. Since they've also been minute munchers, it allows Fever-Carlson a bit of a break and maybe even some opportune deployments.

Things can float over the season and maybe eventually Chychrun-Carlson is the best option but I wouldn't start there and lose a known pairing that works but could be better utilized. The interesting thing is that I do think you could use a Fever-Roy pairing to just eat brutal assignments and deployments and grind out minutes, I'm just not sure it's best.

The wildest thing would be if Sandin and Roy just mesh like Orlov and Niskanen and suddenly that's the second pair and all these other pieces just have to fall in.

Chychrun - Carlson
Sandin - Roy
Fever - TVR/Alexeyev/Bear

Sure. Why not?? It think that’s worth a look for certain.

The only thing that I feel you *have* to do, is ensure Carlson, Chychrun, Roy all get top 3 minutes. 4-6 can be a mix and match as we see fit.

Reactions: HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Chychrun - Carlson
Sandin - Roy

Sure. Why not?? It think that’s worth a look for sure
Could easily get there and if it unlocks Sandin it might be inevitable.

That doesn't look like a bad set. If Lindgren and Thompson stack well it's hard to really be upset about the back end.

Like I said earlier, if these forwards gel and take off even a little we're already wildly ahead of last year and maybe weirdly good instead of just surprisingly not bad.

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't think Senators played Chychrun with Chabot/Sanderson that much together (or atleast, start the game that way) unless they were chasing games. But then again they were chasing in pretty much every single games since their goalies gave up a goal on the first shot basically every night.

I don't think that's an ideal strategy other than times when you are chasing and need a goal. I hope we don't end up like the Senators that need to chase in every game of the season.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I don't think Senators played Chychrun with Chabot/Sanderson that much together (or atleast, start the game that way) unless they were chasing games. But then again they were chasing in pretty much every single games since their goalies gave up a goal on the first shot basically every night.

I don't think that's an ideal strategy other than times when you are chasing and need a goal. I hope we don't end up like the Senators that need to chase in every game of the season.
Sens fans said they did, but I think it involved Chychrun being on his off side? I could be wrong but that was my impression from posts in the trade thread.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Why are you so high on him? He seems like a mid prospect
If you look at his numbers from college, the U18's, and the U20's, they're pretty good, but he's definitely a notch or 2 below Leonard offensively. He's got good size and has played Center in the past, as well as wing. Plays a very physical game, I remember he absolutely clobbered a guy against Sweden in the WJCs. He's supposed to be a really high leadership/intangibles guy. So, he probably tops out as top 6 Oshie type, but bigger. He doesn't have the hands that Oshie does(like 99% of the league). I'd still probably trade a top 10 or lottery protected 1st, simply because he's so much further along and fits a longtern need. Next years draft is supposed to be better than this year, so we don't want to risk not having a high first if the season goes to hell.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2010
Did you spend the $12 bucks to cut thru most of that crap?
1000009605.jpg

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Chychrun - Carlson
Sandin - Roy

Sure. Why not?? It think that’s worth a look for certain.

The only thing that I feel you *have* to do, is ensure Carlson, Chychrun, Roy all get top 3 minutes. 4-6 can be a mix and match as we see fit.
Also this year they have a defence that you dont need to overuse Carlson anymore either. Shouldnt be in the top of defencemen on minutes. Take away 2-3 minutes from him and he still plays more than enough given his age and that we want to keep him fresh.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd go out in a pretty strong limb here and say Chychrun is, in terms of talent, our #1 now. Why is everyone so willing to plop John out as the top pairing guy? He's declined significantly but he's just been the best of what we've had the past several years. I'd like to bump Carlson and Fever down to second pairing. Give Chychrun and Roy the top pairing minutes and put Sandin down on the third pairing where he belongs. TVR is steady enough defensively to cover Sandins game in and game out shenanigans.

Last edited:
Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Can someone educate me on the uniqueness of US college prospects? So can they not even sign an ELC and still play in NCAA? Unlike juniors? How long post draft can they remain unsigned before coming a free agent?
I'm definitely no expert, and I suspect a lot of people around these parts can give more detail, likely correct some of the terminology and detail I'm using.

But basically - and recent law is changing on this but I don't know the exact impacts - college athletes are considered 'amateur' athletes, and in order to retain their eligibility to play a sport in college they can't be paid as a professional. So, no, they can't have been signed to an ELC and still play in school. Unlike Canadian junior leagues.

A team that drafts a player going to college (in the US at least) will retain their rights for, generally, 4 years or until the player graduates. There are a ton of variables that go into this. CapFriendly - click the link now before it goes away - has all of the detail in an FAQ. Reserve List FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: McVechkin

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

Agreed. This setup…

Fever-Carlson
Chychrun-Roy
Sandin-TVR

…just feels right. One offensive guy and one defensive guy on each pairing, everyone playing on their dominant side, no one being asked to higher in the lineup than they should be. We can quibble over which is the real top pairing but that doesn’t change the essence of it. However you order it, it’s so damn aesthetically pleasing.

thanos-balanced.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad