Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If that's it for our moves I guess it means Miro and Lapierre are guaranteed a place?

And that Oshie is LTIRetired since otherwise the team is above the cap.
No with Miro. Being the 13th forward will not help his development, watching games from the press box. He needs more cooking at Hershey, Lappy on the other hand is ready.

Ovechkin - PLD - Wilson
Lapierre/Milano - Strome - Mangiapane
Milano/Lapierre - CMM - Protas
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh
Sgarbossa

Fever - Carlson
Chychrun - Roy
Sandin - TVR
AA - Bear

Jun 15, 2007
No with Miro. Being the 13th forward will not help his development, watching games from the press box. He needs more cooking at Hershey, Lappy on the other hand is ready.

Ovechkin - PLD - Wilson
Lapierre/Milano - Strome - Mangiapane
Milano/Lapierre - CMM - Protas
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh
Sgarbossa

Fever - Carlson
Chychrun - Roy
Sandin - TVR
AA - Bear

Such an interesting lineup

If PLD finds his form, if Lindgren maintains his form, If Ovechkin finds a 2nd(3rd? 4th?) wind, if Mangiapane/Chychrun return to form, if CMM/Lapierre/Protas take a next step, this could be a top 10 team. Or it could be a lottery team.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

If PLD finds his form, if Lindgren maintains his form, If Ovechkin finds a 2nd(3rd? 4th?) wind, if Mangiapane/Chychrun return to form, if CMM/Lapierre/Protas take a next step, this could be a top 10 team. Or it could be a lottery team.
Betting on third in the Metro. NYR or NJD in round one.

Jimi is a top six staple next year. 60 point player.

Nobody has ever accused me of being optimistic, but that’s how I feel. This offseason has been fantastic.

P.S. Leonard, Parascak, Cristall, Hutson, Chesley, all on deck.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Yeah I wouldn't go crazy here. This is not a top 10 team come next season. Just in the Metropolitan Division, New Jersey has had a good offseason and they'll certainly due for a bounce back from last season with Sheldon Keefe now behind their bench. Right now I would think they'll win the Division. The Rangers on the other hand have had a meh off season and the Trouba saga will definitely be a distraction if it continues. Just the same, I think they'll slip to second place with the Canes and the Isles battling it out for third and fourth. That leaves the Caps in fifth ahead of the Pens/Flyers/Blue Jackets. That's okay if they're sellers again at the TDL, as they'll definitely being moving Dowd then and perhaps a few others depending upon how these players season goes. Means more picks coming back.

I like the changes that BMAC has made this off season, but I'm more excited about the 25/26 season as that's when the likes of Mirosnichenko and Leonard will be on the team.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I’m excited by how much our pace should be improved. If nothing else, but for entertainment value. Being blown off the ice by younger teams has been tiresome.

Looking at guys like Lappy, Mangiapane, CMM, PLD, Duhaime upfront. And on the back-end Chychrun, and even Roy should help drive play in transition.

So, it’s mainly just Ovi, Carlson, TvR and Strome as the slowbedons.

And for silly stuff like OT, they can give JC74 a rest, and throw Chychrun out there with a couple other 20-something’s.

Reactions: Chupacabra08

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Wilson is a big wild card here. Ovie-PLD need a puck retriever, a mucker, and someone defensively responsible. Wilson can be all those things - but he was really kind of meh in those areas last year. His skating needs to be stronger this year, and if it's not - he's not the right fit for line 1. I'd move Mangiapane to the right side (if he can play it) or go with Protas.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Metro will be wide open for the taking

Not predicting how WSH will do b/c who knows how long it will take to gel and get grooving, and where are all the goals coming from (by committee from all 18 skaters most likely)

BUT
NJD is the only Metro team that significantly improved their roster, but can they get over the hump of 'loser stank' ? Seems every year they have a great 20 games then shart themselves

NYR/CAR/NYI/PIT/PHI - have all 'at best' maintained and most of them are worse off on paper

I won't be surprised if we're solidly in The Big Dance at M3 or even better (and 1 week ago I wouldn't dare think that)(nor will I be surprised if we struggle to score again and be a bubble team)

Do these moves by rivals take any of them to the next level in any way?

NYR: IN - Riley Smith/Sam Carrick; OUT - EGus/Wennberg/Roslovic/Wheeler (plus not moving Trouba)
CAR: IN - Ghost/Sean Walker/W Carrier/Tyson Jost; OUT - Skjei/Pesce/Guentzel/DeAngelo/Teravainen
NYI: IN - Duclair; OUT - Clusterpluck/Martin/Bortuzzo/Aho
PIT: IN - Grizzledik/Aho/Beauvillier/Lizotte; OUT - R Smith/POJoseph/Zahorna/Carter

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Metro will be wide open for the taking

Not predicting how WSH will do b/c who knows how long it will take to gel and get grooving, and where are all the goals coming from (by committee from all 18 skaters most likely)

BUT
NJD is the only Metro team that significantly improved their roster, but can they get over the hump of 'loser stank' ? Seems every year they have a great 20 games then shart themselves

NYR/CAR/NYI/PIT/PHI - have all 'at best' maintained and most of them are worse off on paper

I won't be surprised if we're solidly in The Big Dance at M3 or even better (and 1 week ago I wouldn't dare think that)(nor will I be surprised if we struggle to score again and be a bubble team)

Do these moves by rivals take any of them to the next level in any way?

NYR: IN - Riley Smith/Sam Carrick; OUT - EGus/Wennberg/Roslovic/Wheeler (plus not moving Trouba)
CAR: IN - Ghost/Sean Walker/W Carrier/Tyson Jost; OUT - Skjei/Pesce/Guentzel/DeAngelo/Teravainen
NYI: IN - Duclair; OUT - Clusterpluck/Martin/Bortuzzo/Aho
PIT: IN - Grizzledik/Aho/Beauvillier/Lizotte; OUT - R Smith/POJoseph/Zahorna/Carter
Only real question is how the forward group works. If they gel, I think they're a surprisingly good team. I guess you can say similar things about goaltending but I feel like that's true of virtually every team all the time.

I have a decent amount of confidence right now in the defense. If we just assume for now that Fever and Carlson stay together, that means Chychrun and Roy second pair but it's another Orlov-Niskanen sort of set that can take a lot of minutes and ease Carlson's burden. That also means pushing Sandin down to 3LD which works a lot better for the team's matchups and asks Sandin to be bold at what he does best and take a step.

If the forwards work, and especially if the young ones take one more step, this is a real team.

Reactions: zappa4ever

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Betting on third in the Metro. NYR or NJD in round one.

Jimi is a top six staple next year. 60 point player.

Nobody has ever accused me of being optimistic, but that’s how I feel. This offseason has been fantastic.

P.S. Leonard, Parascak, Cristall, Hutson, Chesley, all on deck.
Would you send our 2025 1st to 'Peg for McGroarty? Would they take that?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I’m excited by how much our pace should be improved. If nothing else, but for entertainment value. Being blown off the ice by younger teams has been tiresome.

Looking at guys like Lappy, Mangiapane, CMM, PLD, Duhaime upfront. And on the back-end Chychrun, and even Roy should help drive play in transition.

So, it’s mainly just Ovi, Carlson, TvR and Strome as the slowbedons.

And for silly stuff like OT, they can give JC74 a rest, and throw Chychrun out there with a couple other 20-something’s.

I'm hoping Ovy gets in shape before the season lol. I also hope he crushes 50 goals just to make HF cry.

Protected? I would gamble on if it's protected.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’d say anywhere from 4th to 10th in the East. Not good enough to contend with say Fla, Tor, and probably NJD/NYR (one of them).

The rest is a crapshoot. Including the Canes, Bruins, and Lightning. Those were all “shoe-ins” last year.

Not this year

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Nah. His value has degraded some, with not only his “not signing”, but his collegiate performance.

He was picked what, 17th? I don’t see him having improved his stock since then.

A 25 second (ours) and a B level prospect. That’s it and that’s all.

Oh and BTW — McGroarty had the same agent as Cutter, I believe (and now so does Buium)…. So that’s seemingly this agent game/agenda.

No wonder Buium slid to 12, and the Flyers did a hard pass

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Nah. His value has degraded some, with not only his “not signing”, but his collegiate performance.

He was picked what, 17th? I don’t see him having improved his stock since then.

A 25 second (ours) and a B level prospect. That’s it and that’s all.

Oh and BTW — McGroarty had the same agent as Cutter, I believe (and now so does Buium)…. So that’s seemingly this agent game/agenda.

No wonder Buium slid to 12, and the Flyers did a hard pass
14th in 2022. I thought about a 2nd and a player but I don't know what Winnipeg thinks about the kid or how much leverage they have with his situation. Seemed like he might move last weekend. Two years developing at Michigan and a Junior's gold. It'll be interesting to see how he does and where he ends up.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Only if it was lottery protected. No chance I give away a shot at a franchise player for him. He's a nice prospect but you're looking at a guy who tops out as a second liner if he reaches his ceiling. His floor probably put him on a third line with the ability to play up in stints when needed.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t know anything about the $12.
You spend $12 a yr to become a sponsor. A buck a month. It cuts out all the crap (unless the site actually goes down, as it will do on trade deadline day and July 1)

Edit — go into your account and select the upgrades tab. Take it from there. It makes ALL the difference in the world.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad