Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This is where TJ would do so much for the team. The vet that’s seen/done it all, but acts like a kid. He’s a bridge type guy.

I’ve read that Mangiapane is similar. So maybe that’s part of that design.

Would rather boot TVR/Bear to wherever and see Oshie play, than him on LTIR. And if he just can’t (and sure, it’s quite possible that they already know he’s done, so this post is bunk), then you have his LTIR space during the season to add whatever you want.

It’s just almost a year off, for TJ.

I'd agree, would love to see Oshie keep playing even if he has slowed down already, but he needs to think what's best for him. If he keeps playing but on the off days can't get out of the bed because of the pain, is it worth it? Let's hope it's nothing like that and he can come back.

But on that note... i do anticipate that they have pretty good idea that Oshie, even if not completely done, is at best going to miss significant time at the start of the season. Looking at the cap situation they are in right now, basically already spent the Oshie LTIR -money, makes me pretty sure that Oshie isn't healthy to start the season. I don't think they would have spent that money if they weren't sure, because you put yourself in a terrible cap situation doing that beforehand, because other teams know your situation and they know that you have to dump something.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Leonard is young but I think he'll be our future Oshie in the locker room. Every clip I've seen of him at this years and last years dev camp he's always having a good time on the ice. Plays with the energy too. One of those dudes that's just obsessed with hockey. Really would've been fun if he got a year in with Oshie

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I am still just pleased as punch with how this off-season has gone (including the draft, trades, and free agency, as well as last year's draft).

I mean, I'm not going to kid myself about the team's Stanley Cup chances anytime soon. But it's exciting the see GMBM's plan and promises regarding "retooling" a team in transition being put into action. (Last year's roster acquisitions were pretty disappointing, but knowing that not making any major commitments at the time--and getting picks during the sell-off--is a large part of what created the flexibility for this successful off-season helps put things into perspective.)

It's all very encouraging. (Though, obviously, part of that is keeping my expectations grounded in reality.) But yeah, what a delightful feeling. I enjoy being a Caps fan most when the team/organization provides actual things to enjoy!

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Leonard is young but I think he'll be our future Oshie in the locker room. Every clip I've seen of him at this years and last years dev camp he's always having a good time on the ice. Plays with the energy too. One of those dudes that's just obsessed with hockey. Really would've been fun if he got a year in with Oshie
Let me paint you a picture. We are three seed in postseason, NYR second.

Bring Oshie back from LTIR, Leonard joins for postseason.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm no "capologist", if Ethan Bear is waived and subsequently passes through and is sent to Hershey, what is the impact or implications to the Capitals salary cap?

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I'm no "capologist", if Ethan Bear is waived and subsequently passes through and is sent to Hershey, what is the impact or implications to the Capitals salary cap?

I think the most you can bury in the minors on a contract is around $1.1m. So we'd get some relief. Pretty sure we're compliant as-is if Oshie comes off the books, so it's just wait-and-see on Bear.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

1720021764261.gif

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Oshie strikes me as a great coach in waiting and someone I'd really want to keep around when he finally calls it quits on playing. Maybe he wants to move back home, but he's a guy I'd seriously look at keeping around DC.

And yeah, they may be telling him we need you to take LTIR this year but we'll keep a spot for you on the playoff roster. Dude needs to heal. There's no magic treatment coming his way.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oshie strikes me as a great coach in waiting and someone I'd really want to keep around when he finally calls it quits on playing. Maybe he wants to move back home, but he's a guy I'd seriously look at keeping around DC.

And yeah, they may be telling him we need you to take LTIR this year but we'll keep a spot for you on the playoff roster. Dude needs to heal. There's no magic treatment coming his way.
I was thinking more an eventual Special Assistant to the President of Hockey Ops, groomed to be AGM….

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Oshie's one of my favourite all-time Caps, but I think he's said a few times that he doesn't actually like watching hockey. Coaching probably won't be in the cards for him...
He's said that he didn't watch hockey growing up, like on TV. But being at the rink and around the game seems a very different animal to me. But what do I know anyway?

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
I am still just pleased as punch with how this off-season has gone (including the draft, trades, and free agency, as well as last year's draft).

I mean, I'm not going to kid myself about the team's Stanley Cup chances anytime soon. But it's exciting the see GMBM's plan and promises regarding "retooling" a team in transition being put into action. (Last year's roster acquisitions were pretty disappointing, but knowing that not making any major commitments at the time--and getting picks during the sell-off--is a large part of what created the flexibility for this successful off-season helps put things into perspective.)

It's all very encouraging. (Though, obviously, part of that is keeping my expectations grounded in reality.) But yeah, what a delightful feeling. I enjoy being a Caps fan most when the team/organization provides actual things to enjoy!

Last year he was hogtied by three players taking up a massive amount of the cap to either not play or simply be on the ice.

With flexibility this is what we get- love it.

Jun 15, 2007
If that's it for our moves I guess it means Miro and Lapierre are guaranteed a place?

And that Oshie is LTIRetired since otherwise the team is above the cap.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad