Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What about Brannstrom? He looks to not being qualified in Ottawa could be a cheap addition to the D with potential upside.
I wouldn't hate it but he's a little redundant unless they're planning on moving Sandin. If it's as a 3LD I'd probably be more interested in someone who plays a bit more physical since the plan from BMac is to shake things up a little on the blue line.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Love Schmidty but who is he an upgrade over? I think it's almost a certainty that one or both of Jensen and TvR are gone, so maybe he competes for 3LD or 3RD?

I'd rather them go get someone who can play 2RD and relieve some pressure off of Carlson than try to marginally improve the bottom pair. For me the ideal scenario is they trade TvR, pick up a 2RD, and Jensen reverts back to form and locks down 3RD,

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Love Schmidty but who is he an upgrade over? I think it's almost a certainty that one or both of Jensen and TvR are gone, so maybe he competes for 3LD or 3RD?

I'd rather them go get someone who can play 2RD and relieve some pressure off of Carlson than try to marginally improve the bottom pair. For me the ideal scenario is they trade TvR, pick up a 2RD, and Jensen reverts back to form and locks down 3RD,
Agreed. It was mostly a sentimental response. Schmidt's not the athlete he once was and was always a bit suspect/soft defensively. Not ideal but could perhaps play either the left or right, soak up some 5v5 minutes and perhaps be open to a short-term discount. Would need to be pretty cheap, though. He's likely not even as good as Ekman-Larsson at this point.

A couple of other younger potential trade fits could be Nic Hage and Mario Ferraro. Hard to gauge their upgrade potential--it's likely negligible and short of what's needed--but perhaps secondary fits thanks to at least being a bit younger/cheaper.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
Adam Boqvist, the 8th OA in 2018, bought out.
Victor Soderstrom, 11th OA in 2019, uncertain to be qualified
Erik Brannstrom, 15th OA in 2017, unqualified.

Wouldn’t mind taking a discounted flyer on any of those, especially the first two players. Lots of upside. Worst case, they help Hershey threepeat.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Wouldn’t mind taking a discounted flyer on any of those, especially the first two players. Lots of upside.
I'd opt for Boqvist in this bunch. Injuries last year really derailed him but it was all really crappy luck not so much a recurring thing.

Reactions: Rayquaza64 and MW6

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
I'd opt for Boqvist in this bunch. Injuries last year really derailed him but it was all really crappy luck not so much a recurring thing.
Yeah, and I think neither Arizona nor Columbus have been very successful in developing young players, so a fresh slate might do them really well.
I’d rather take a chance on him then Ethan Bear.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Wouldn’t mind taking a discounted flyer on any of those, especially the first two players. Lots of upside. Worst case, they help Hershey threepeat.
Also a good reminder that the NHL draft is anything but a science and there are no guarantees regardless of where someone is drafted.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd wager more of an upside play would be a fallback option. Going from Jensen or TVR to a project is a tough sell unless there's loaded upside. Not sure anyone comes to mind as qualifying along those lines. No one saw Forsling coming but...not sure any of those guys think the game well enough overall.

Nils Lundkvist is another one in Dallas. Hardly trusted at all in the playoffs. Could be some offense/PP2 potential with some of them but none seem overly competent defensively. Sandin is a better play than most all of them I think. They need a legit minute-eater that can hang in tough roles.

Reactions: Marshall

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
It doesn't seem to be brought up, but I've decided my head canon is that the Canes trading for Kuznetsov is the reason they lost Guentzel and it makes me laugh that they couldn't pay him for that reason.

In turn, this is a good reminder that tanking is dumb.
Uhhh, it actually make it an even smarter endeavor. A top 5 pick is a world of difference from even the 6th pick.

1719766917009.png

And you really don't even need stats for this. Just look at teams and see most are driven by top picks. You either need to be awful or you need to be great, being mediocre is a recipe for disaster.

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
In turn, this is a good reminder that tanking is dumb.
I dunno about that, most teams that win the cup have multiple lottery picks. Do we win the cup without tanking for Ovi and Backstrom? Probably still be cupless. Not tanking worked before the salary cap but if you want a decade long dynasty now you gotta tank. It's unfortunately a product of the salary cap.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
I dunno about that, most teams that win the cup have multiple lottery picks. Do we win the cup without tanking for Ovi and Backstrom? Probably still be cupless. Not tanking worked before the salary cap but if you want a decade long dynasty now you gotta tank. It's unfortunately a product of the salary cap.
Or strike gold on a reclamation project who hadn’t put it all together 😉

• Love
Reactions: Holtbyisms

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Give me one of Roy or Pesce and I'd honestly be fine with a Mantha reunion or signing Foegele.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If they don’t make any major moves and the season plays out roughly like last season, Caps could trade Mangi at the deadline, add Leonard if they make the postseason, then they’d have their top 9 forwards and top 5 D signed, $30+M in cap room, and the the only team with access to capfriendly

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
We did not tank for Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad