Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Good pull, thanks. Google and ChatGPT were useless and I didn’t feel like doing a deep dive.
It's something that seemed to happen a lot more before the lockout. If I remember right 1999, 2001, 2002, and 2003 all saw top 5 picks traded, and most of them were draft day pick swaps (the Yashin ordeal in 2001 being an obvious exception, but that move was made right around the draft too). But yeah, it hardly ever happens now.

In a more technical sense, 2019 and 2020 saw top 5 picks traded (Ottawa to Colorado, San Jose to Ottawa), but both those trades were made more than a year in advance (Duchene trade for the first one, Karlsson for the second) and obviously the teams trading the picks didn't expect to finish so low in the standings.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think I would take Buium in such a scenario and definitely think he could play in the NHL next fall. Doesn't mean he will but could. He may be the second-best player in this draft. It won't happen but in terms of changing the foundation and swinging for upside there's so much to like.

Don't see the fit with McGroarty really. He's more of a third-wheel type on a line, albeit maybe a premium one. I don't think the foundation is there to be aggressive after a more limited all-around player. They do need more scoring...but they also need to control games better with more two-way play drivers. McGroarty doesn't offer that so much as a puck transporter...and I don't know about promising him an NHL spot either. That's easier with Leonard mostly because he's much faster. Whereas it's a lot less clear RM won't face some pace limitations. In the draft with an Eiserman as more of a longer-term target I get it. Go for it. But at least in theory that would still be a cheaper target.
McGroarty actually feels like a better fit stylistically for me now. Strome, PLD, and Lapierre are all playmakers and the more we can surround them with guys who can shoot the puck the better.

That said, he’s a right winger and when Leonard joins the fold you assume he and Wilson will man the top six RWs. Having McGroarty as depth would be nice for sure but seems to me they may want to use assets to upgrade other spots.

It feels like something is going to happen at center. They don’t have room for all of Strome, PLD, McMichael, Lapierre and Dowd and even if Dowd is traded, neither McMike or Lapierre are well suited for a 4th line role. Do they really have Lapierre go back to Hershey for another season? McMichael is a fish out of water on the wing but is underrated around here — is he the odd man out? Should be interesting.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I think Lappy could move to wing at least for a period to see how he likes it and how he performs.

Same with PLD who might actually be a fit on CMM's left side. The rationale there being CMM's 2-way abilities take some pressure off PLD, which may help him psychologically at least for the short term. And then you have a line with two C which could be way to throw other teams off. That might come down to the on-ice chemistry between the two.

All these are worth a try, won't "ruin" PLD, Lappy, or even Strome who have all had some history on the wing (and is on the record as being comfortable on the wing). Experimenting might uncover some magic between some of these guys. New duo(s) maybe.

Better than giving away young talent before testing them all as a group.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
McGroarty actually feels like a better fit stylistically for me now. Strome, PLD, and Lapierre are all playmakers and the more we can surround them with guys who can shoot the puck the better.

That said, he’s a right winger and when Leonard joins the fold you assume he and Wilson will man the top six RWs. Having McGroarty as depth would be nice for sure but seems to me they may want to use assets to upgrade other spots.

It feels like something is going to happen at center. They don’t have room for all of Strome, PLD, McMichael, Lapierre and Dowd and even if Dowd is traded, neither McMike or Lapierre are well suited for a 4th line role. Do they really have Lapierre go back to Hershey for another season? McMichael is a fish out of water on the wing but is underrated around here — is he the odd man out? Should be interesting.
Lappy will be wing. I dont really mind it hes kindof small to play 82 games of NHL center. Agree he should be no where near the 4th line next season. Top 6 wing please

I think Lappy could move to wing at least for a period to see how he likes it and how he performs.

Same with PLD who might actually be a fit on CMM's left side. The rationale there being CMM's 2-way abilities take some pressure off PLD, which may help him psychologically at least for the short term. And then you have a line with two C which could be way to throw other teams off. That might come down to the on-ice chemistry between the two.

All these are worth a try, won't "ruin" PLD, Lappy, or even Strome who have all had some history on the wing (and is on the record as being comfortable on the wing). Experimenting might uncover some magic between some of these guys. New duo(s) maybe.

Better than giving away young talent before testing them all as a group.
Put them all on the same line! That would be fun

Just for fun

Ovie - CMM - Wilson
Strome - PLD - Lappy
Sonny - Protas - Oshie/Miro
Blake - Dowd - Sutter

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
I asked ChatGTP about my theory of going after Kakko, Laine, Kotkaniemi and added Thomas Chabot and Spencer Knight and this was the result. ☺️

### Diversifying Player Investments: A Strategic Approach for the Capitals

When managing a sports team, it is risky to rely heavily on a single player’s success. Hoping that Pierre-Luc Dubois (PLD) becomes a standout player for the team is a gamble. If he underperforms, the Capitals could struggle significantly or remain mediocre for the length of his contract. Conversely, if he excels, the team gains a core member at a low acquisition cost.

Given this high-risk, high-reward scenario, it's wise to create a safety net by acquiring multiple players with similar potential but who haven't yet lived up to their contracts or expectations.

### The Upside of Multiple High-Potential Players

Players with the potential of PLD, such as Kaapo Kakko, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Patrik Laine, Thomas Chabot, and Spencer Knight, can significantly impact a franchise's trajectory. If the Capitals place their hopes solely on PLD, the outcome is binary: either he succeeds (1/1) or he fails (0/1), with the latter being a substantial setback.

However, if they diversify their investments by acquiring multiple players with similar potential, they improve their chances of success. For example, if they invest in six such players and two of them reach their potential (2/6), it's a net positive outcome. The other four players, although potentially overpaid, still contribute as solid NHL players. If none of the players meet expectations, the team will likely secure high draft picks for several years, initiating a new cycle of talent acquisition.

### Financial and Strategic Benefits

In many cases, teams selling these high-potential but underperforming players are motivated to free up salary cap space. Therefore, the cost of acquiring these players could be relatively low. By taking on these players, the Capitals can strategically enhance their roster's potential while managing financial risks.

### Supporting Evidence

#### 1. **Success Stories from Other Teams**

The St. Louis Blues’ 2019 Stanley Cup victory is a prime example of diversified investments paying off. The Blues acquired several players who had not yet hit their peak potential, such as Ryan O'Reilly from Buffalo, who became a cornerstone of their championship team. This approach of acquiring multiple players with untapped potential can lead to building a robust and dynamic roster capable of winning championships.

#### 2. **Statistical Evidence**

According to a study by The Athletic, teams that spread their investments across multiple high-potential players tend to have better overall performance compared to those that heavily invest in a single star. The study shows that diversified teams have more balanced scoring and are less affected by injuries to any one player.

#### 3. **Financial Flexibility**

Teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning have demonstrated the importance of financial flexibility. By managing the salary cap wisely and not overcommitting to a few stars, the Lightning were able to build a deep roster that led to back-to-back Stanley Cup wins in 2020 and 2021. Diversifying investments allows the Capitals to maintain this flexibility and make strategic moves as needed.

### Conclusion

Diversifying investments in players with high potential is a strategic approach that balances risk and reward. While relying solely on one player's success is risky, spreading the investment across several players with similar upside improves the chances of positive outcomes for the team. This strategy not only mitigates the risk of failure but also positions the team for future success through either player development or high draft picks.

By adopting this approach, the Capitals can build a more resilient and competitive team, capable of contending for championships over multiple seasons. This strategy offers a balanced path forward, ensuring that the team remains competitive while developing a strong core of players for sustained success.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Also, just for fun

Strome - PLD - Leonard
Miroshnichenko - CMM - Lappy
Ovi - Protas - McGroarty
Beck - Sutter - Trineyev

...teams that spread their investments across multiple high-potential players tend to have better overall performance compared to those that heavily invest in a single star. The study shows that diversified teams have more balanced scoring and are less affected by injuries to any one player.

I concur.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Also this:

Bringing high-potential but underperforming players to the Capitals can have several positive effects on the players themselves, enhancing their development, performance, and overall career trajectory. Here are the key benefits:

### 1. **Fresh Start and Reduced Pressure**

- **New Environment:** Moving to a new team can provide a fresh start, helping players escape the pressure and expectations associated with their previous team.
- **Reduced Expectations:** With a diversified investment strategy, individual players may feel less pressure to be the sole savior of the team, allowing them to play more freely and confidently.

### 2. **Enhanced Development Opportunities**

- **Access to Resources:** The Capitals can provide access to top-tier training facilities, coaching staff, and medical care, aiding in player development.
- **Personalized Coaching:** Tailored development plans and individual skill coaching can help players address specific weaknesses and build on their strengths.

### 3. **Better Role Fit**

- **Optimized Roles:** The Capitals can place these players in roles that better suit their skills and development needs, whether it's giving them more offensive opportunities or reducing defensive responsibilities initially.
- **Line Combinations:** Playing alongside skilled linemates who complement their style can help maximize their potential and improve their on-ice performance.

### 4. **Increased Ice Time and Responsibilities**

- **Consistent Ice Time:** By being part of a strategic development plan, players may receive more consistent and significant ice time, crucial for building confidence and improving performance.
- **Special Teams Opportunities:** Increased involvement in power play and penalty kill units can provide additional chances to showcase and develop their skills.

### 5. **Positive Team Culture and Support**

- **Supportive Environment:** A positive, supportive team culture can help players feel more comfortable and motivated. This environment can be crucial for players needing a confidence boost.
- **Leadership and Mentorship:** The presence of experienced leaders and mentors on the Capitals can provide guidance and support to younger players, aiding their development.

### 6. **Focus on Long-Term Development**

- **Patience and Support:** A long-term development approach allows players to grow at their own pace without the immediate pressure of high expectations.
- **Stable Development Path:** A clear and stable development path helps players understand their role and the steps they need to take to reach their potential.

### 7. **Enhanced Visibility and Market Value**

- **Showcasing Talent:** Success with the Capitals can increase a player's visibility, potentially leading to more recognition and opportunities within the league.
- **Improved Market Value:** As players improve and perform well, their market value increases, which can lead to better contract opportunities in the future.

### 8. **Mental and Emotional Support**

- **Sports Psychology:** Access to sports psychologists and mental toughness coaching can help players handle the pressures of professional hockey and improve their overall mental health.
- **Confidence Building:** A supportive coaching staff that focuses on positive reinforcement can help rebuild a player's confidence, which is often crucial for performance.

### Specific Benefits for Each Player

#### **Pierre-Luc Dubois**
- **Role as a Core Member:** Increased responsibility and a chance to be a foundational player can boost his confidence and performance.

#### **Kaapo Kakko**
- **Top-Six Role:** Consistent top-six minutes and playing alongside skilled linemates can help him unlock his offensive potential.

#### **Jesperi Kotkaniemi**
- **Development Focus:** Personalized development plans and consistent ice time can aid in his growth and help him become a more complete player.

#### **Patrik Laine**
- **Offensive Freedom:** Placing him in an offensive role where he can utilize his shooting skills more effectively can lead to a resurgence in his scoring touch.

#### **Thomas Chabot**
- **Leadership Role:** Increased responsibility and a leadership role on defense can help him mature and improve his overall game.

#### **Spencer Knight**
- **Goaltending Development:** Access to top goaltending coaches and a clear development path can help him reach his potential as a future star goalie.

### Conclusion

Bringing these high-potential players to the Capitals can significantly benefit their careers by providing a fresh start, enhanced development opportunities, better role fits, increased ice time, and a supportive team environment. These factors collectively contribute to improved performance and confidence, helping the players reach their full potential and, in turn, strengthening the Capitals' roster.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I dont get the Rutger-hype. The kid is good and gonna be an NHLer, but its not like we are talking about a first ballot future HoFer here as one could think seeing how every fanbase is drooling over the kid.

In a vaccuum he had a solid +1 year and maybe upped his value a bit from the 14th overall he was picked with, but whats the rush to overpay. I wouldnt mind trading our 1st + maybe one of the 3rds for him, but i wouldnt mind not doing it either and just picking a guy we like instead.

One reasoning being he plays a position where we already have similar and hopefully better options. Another being that if we do go for a RW, Brandsegg-Nygard or Sennecke could still be avaivable with our pick and i like those guys atleast ’almost as much as McGroarty.

Always go BPA but right now i hope the BPA isnt RW.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I know it’s all we care about… but Ovies latest beach picture
Looking better than the fat Ovie pickle ball pic.

Attachments

• IMG_6177.png
    IMG_6177.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • Haha
Reactions: usiel and Langway

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
One reasoning being he plays a position where we already have similar and hopefully better options. Another being that if we do go for a RW, Brandsegg-Nygard or Sennecke could still be avaivable with our pick and i like those guys atleast ’almost as much as McGroarty.
Sennecke will be long gone it sounds like. I actually do like MBN more as a prospect than McGroarty as well. Re: scoring, Rutger didn't top 20 goals in either season at Michigan. They only had two to top 20 each season so they weren't completely stacked like some but I don't put him in a premier category of goal-scorer. I'm not sure he gets to spots quite well enough or creates his own shot easily enough to qualify. Whereas MBN has a bit more of that, better skating chiefly and more defensive and transitional value IMO.

Rutger is more likely a LW also but I view him as less skilled than Milano and ultimately not a talent that I'd rush to the NHL necessarily. In the right situation he'll be just fine but what if he isn't quite ready? What if he is a slight step behind? Would he report to Hershey? Long-term at the right price it could work but I don't believe he's a future top-line talent. More likely middle six if I had to guess and, again, more of a competitive, grinding complimentary type.

Reactions: Roshi

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
And I'll reiterate I don't have any insight to the McGroarty kid, other than he knows Miroshnichenko, so always use IF regarding him..

Mindboggling how the CMM Groupthink is (especially over at RMNB, which i dont bother posting at). Many are so fast to move out an 18 goal still-developing C who plays a 200 foot game.

It seems like a lot of internet Caps fans just HAVE to have a player to be down on. I don't get it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Careful about ChatGPT. I tried to ask it how we ended up with 3 firsts in 2002 and it totally hallucinated 2 trades involving Gonchar and Kolzig.
I really only use it to help me create proposal templates or business plan templates. The research aspect itself is ass in way too many cases to be considered helpful. We were just discussing this in the soccer thread, actually, and debating how accurate ChatGPT was in some of the stats in pulled (spoiler alert: not at all accurate).

Reactions: MW6

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
And I'll reiterate I don't have any insight to the McGroarty kid, other than he knows Miroshnichenko, so always use IF regarding him..

Mindboggling how the CMM Groupthink is (especially over at RMNB, which i dont bother posting at). Many are so fast to move out an 18 goal still-developing C who plays a 200 foot game.

It seems like a lot of internet Caps fans just HAVE to have a player to be down on. I don't get it.
I think over at RMNB you have a situation where the writers knew nothing about the sport until ten years ago, follow the latest and greatest analytics trends and use them as gospel instead of supporting arguments since they don’t know any better, and fans who have never played or followed the sport reinforcing and regurgitating the bad narratives spouted by writers who don’t know what they’re talking about. It’s a cycle of negative reinforcement. RMNB is terrific at the human interest and off-ice component of covering the sport but the actual analysis is mostly unreadable, and the comment section rivals Facebook pages in terms of awful fan opinions.

McMike is a just good hockey player. Not flashy, not going to wow you most of the time, not going to cause you to get out of your seat when he’s on the ice, but he’s responsible on both sides of the puck and understands the game at a high level. He’s a very good player and a perfect fit for a team’s middle six center spot. If he improves his finishing or playmaking a bit he’s solidly a top six center, as of now I think he can be a terrific 3C or a good enough 2C. You need those types of players to build a deep team. If he was better offensively he wouldn’t have been available when the Caps drafted him.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

I’m not down CMM. He has good value, I just think we have more pressing needs. PLD as now maybe made this player available.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Careful about ChatGPT. I tried to ask it how we ended up with 3 firsts in 2002 and it totally hallucinated 2 trades involving Gonchar and Kolzig.
I have found Wikipedia (surprisingly) to be the most reliable source regarding how a draft pick came to be. To use the current example:

#12 was our pick (Steve Eminger)
#13 was from Dallas (Alex Semin; Dallas' first-round pick went to Washington as the result of a trade on June 12, 2002 that sent a first-round pick (# 26 overall) and a second-round pick in the 2002 Entry Draft along with a sixth-round pick in the 2003 Entry Draft to Dallas in exchange for this pick.)
#17 was from Vancouver (Boyd Gordon; Vancouver's first-round pick went to Washington as the result of a trade on November 10, 2001 that sent Trevor Linden and a second-round pick in the 2002 Entry Draft to Vancouver in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2003 Entry Draft and this pick.)

All of that is listed in the notes below each round.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I’m not down CMM. He has good value, I just think we have more pressing needs. PLD as now maybe made this player available.
I agree that the D is the pressing need. I am hopeful that we can address it without moving ANY of our youth this cycle. We have all of Cap Space/LTIR relief, Jensen, Dowd, TvR, next year's 1st, some of next year's 2nds, etc. to use this cycle before moving any youth if GMBM is so inclined.

We might very well move youth out in the future but if we can delay that as much as possible we can avoid the mistake of giving up too soon on any if them and before discovering any unexpected synergies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad