Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
You have to give to get…..CMM should not be untouchable in a trade for a top end talent. That is massively overvaluing him.

The more interesting idea is trading Lappy, who every team the Caps are looking to deal with SHOULD be asking for over CMM.

Yes you have to give to get. But to be a good to great GM you sell them Jensen and a 2nd (or Keumper) when they ask for CMM or Lappy.

The.more assests we have the more trade options we have. I just want us to wait longer on deciding to move a CMM or Lapierre. I want to see how these guys fit in with a full time Leonard/Miroshnichenko and now PLD before moving either of them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yes you have to give to get. But to be a good to great GM you sell them Jensen and a 2nd (or Keumper) when they ask for CMM or Lappy.

The.more assests we have the more trade options we have. I just want us to wait longer on deciding to move a CMM or Lapierre. I want to see how these guys fit in with a full time Leonard/Miroshnichenko and now PLD before moving either of them.
That’s a nice fantasy to have….which GM with a star to move is a moron?

Can we get Kaprizov for Jensen and a 2nd? Lol….I mean come on. Don’t set unrealistic expectations like GMBM can fool his peers to that extent or he’s somehow not a good GM because he can’t Jedi Mind Trick them…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hb13xchamps

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
That’s a nice fantasy to have….which GM with a star to move is a moron?
Lots have done stuff like that... Forsberg/Erat being the extreme example.

It's OK to trade Value for Value. I'm just advocating and additional year or two of patience over moving potentially unrealized still developing talent for an expensive star.

We will probably see soon which side of this debate GMBM and staff are for CMM.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Lots have done stuff like that... Forsberg/Erat being the extreme example.

It's OK to trade Value for Value. I'm just advocating and additional year or two of patience over moving potentially unrealized still developing talent for an expensive star.

We will probably see soon which side of this debate GMBM and staff are for CMM.
Not the same at all….I'm talking about acquiring a star, not a Martin Erat….

You advocate wasting Ovi’s last years if you’re not willing to move some youth for immediate star power in the right deal….

Reactions: Calicaps

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
What I mean is WE get they star while we send them the low(er) value asset. That's the example of finding a moron GM to trade with. It happens.

Brouwer for Oshie is maybe better example when we get another Oshie. I don't want us reaching for a Marner.

And maybe PLD assumes that role starting now...

And I have to be fair, if we move CMM instead of signing him I'll have to assume I was wrong and the team has a different view.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If you read the buzz around the league, there's been some smoke around Sabres-Caps. From what i heard the Caps have held talks with CBJ too (this from CBJ camp). Sabres smoke came from their writer that said to follow Sabres and Caps in the next few weeks.

There are few that i thought of. Dowd is for sure one the Sabres like. I think veteran RHD might be the alternative, perhaps swap to Jokiharju? Fit wise they have a lot of the young pieces that Caps want and Caps have plenty of vets. But are the Caps ready to help a rival in the Playoff race? Perhaps.

CBJ -link was likely a similar sort of trade in the works. They want good vets and Caps want to get younger. It might be Laine too but that would be 2 huge swings in short order.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Skinner and Laine immediately come to mind...but the Caps would need retention and to probably send a RD back. CBJ doesn't have a need for one of those with Jiricek in the wings and probably wouldn't want Milano back either. Dowd could fit but doesn't free up much. CBJ just saw Hershey up close...

Any potential buyout candidate could be a trade fit shortly. With just a few days between the end of the playoffs, the opening of the buyout window and 7/1 there should be plenty of early movement as teams begin restructuring. Dubois & Goodrow were 1 and 3 on DailyFaceoff's list of potential buyouts and have already moved: Kings’ Pierre-Luc Dubois among nine buyout candidates in 2024 NHL offseason

The only other names on that list that make some sense are Atkinson or Suter. But there's been talk Skinner could be bought out. Their GM didn't rule it out. The Caps ought to just wait it out on these other situations unless they can get a sweetheart deal. Between buyouts and qualifying offers who knows who else may hit the market? Probably not the type of stabilizer they need but nonetheless additional value. On Laine, he can't talk to teams until he officially leaves The Program so it's on the back burner for now. His reps can but various reports have made it seem like he won't be moved until after he's reinstated.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Interesting fact on Laine... He was traded for PLD
I have to think his value is very low if its not negative. If the price is low like TVR for Laine I would have to think hard about it.

Reactions: MW6

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Laine is only a fit if they find a clear role for him on the PP that doesn't intersect with Ovechkin's role. And even then I don't love the fit. He's not enough of a 5v5 driver to otherwise consider him an option, especially with defense-optional guys like Ovechkin and PLD already occupying significant roles in the top 6.

Reactions: Hivemind

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Laine is only a fit if they find a clear role for him on the PP that doesn't intersect with Ovechkin's role. And even then I don't love the fit. He's not enough of a 5v5 driver to otherwise consider him an option, especially with defense-optional guys like Ovechkin and PLD already occupying significant roles in the top 6.
Bumper spot.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I know there is a lot of talk about having Shepard or maybe even Stevenson backing up Lindgren next year, but I think if they go the veteran UFA route they should consider Anthony Stolarz:

1719156207460.png

Top 10 in adjusted save percentage above expected over the past 3 years (and is only behind Shesterkin and Sorokin in that metric over the last 5 years). He's pretty significantly outperformed Gibson and Bobrovsky in recent years as a backup and could be another relatively cheap goaltender that provides immense value in the same way Lindgren is currently.

Ideally the split next year is something like Lindgren 45-50 games and the backup 30-35 games. Stolarz could fill that backup role admirably and help the Capitals have one of the best duos in the league.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I know there is a lot of talk about having Shepard or maybe even Stevenson backing up Lindgren next year, but I think if they go the veteran UFA route they should consider Anthony Stolarz:

View attachment 885906

Top 10 in adjusted save percentage above expected over the past 3 years (and is only behind Shesterkin and Sorokin in that metric over the last 5 years). He's pretty significantly outperformed Gibson and Bobrovsky in recent years as a backup and could be another relatively cheap goaltender that provides immense value in the same way Lindgren is currently.

Ideally the split next year is something like Lindgren 45-50 games and the backup 30-35 games. Stolarz could fill that backup role admirably and help the Capitals have one of the best duos in the league.
They can’t not graduate one of their AHL G’s though. Especially the ones that has them on the precipice of back to back Calder Cups

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

View attachment 885906

I think they have to either bring up Sheppard or they have to trade him. He's too good to not be the starter in Hershey, but they need to free up the pipeline to let Stevenson take the reigns and Gibson start getting some play.

I personally think you're right, they should look for a veteran netminder to potentially 1B if Lindgren comes back to earth, but I just don't see how it plays out.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I think you just sign a veteran guy to a two-way. Give Shep/Clay a shot out of camp and then have like a Copley/Driedger/Jones type just in case it doesn't work out.

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I mean I think you have an open competition in camp between Stevenson and Shepherd. Clay probably runs away with it. If Chucky falters and Clay can't get the job done you claim someone off waivers. There's guys on waivers all season long. I understand everyone thinks Shepherd has earned the right but how many of you have actually extensively watched his goaltending style? He's really not an NHL goalie. He's got the heart and the battle but lacks the talent, size and athleticism.

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If the Buffalo/Columbus rumors are accurate, I wonder if the Caps are trying to move up in the draft. Both teams have said that they'd be willing to move their pick.
Could see us doing a pick swap with Buffalo including some other assets going each way since they're at 11 but I'd be surprised if we had the firepower to get up to 4 with Cbus unless they want rid of Laine so bad they'd pay to get rid of him. You'd have to think we'd still need to send salary back to them though unless we're sure Oshie is not coming back. Please take Nick Jensen? lol Looks like we could almost make it work with Oshie on the books but not quite. Oshie goes LTIR and we can make it work with room to sign somebody to replace NAK. I really like AJ Greer as a 4th liner UFA who could be had for under 1M I'd imagine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad