Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Elliott Friedman mentioned on 32 Thoughts this morning that talking with someone he expects the Capitals to be pretty busy and believes that there are more moves to be made.

I think we'll probably see over the next week or so a better picture of where Oshie is at. It'll be pretty easy to read the tea leaves if we take on more cap than we would have available with him still on the roster.

I would like to see a solid top six winger find their way here, and maybe a little shuffling with a defenseman or two outbound. One of TVR/Jensen moved and maybe a Bear buyout so we can try something different on the back end.

Reactions: Misery74

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Seravalli did an interview with MacLellan this past week and it didn't sound immanent that there would be resolution re: Oshie. It just sounded like the status quo of waiting for him to figure something out.

Checking out CapFriendly I see McMichael still doesn't have arbitration rights. I wonder if they don't try to squeeze him because of that, at least for a year if the situation becomes tight. That they haven't signed him yet would seem to make it more likely it won't be to term.

Running the numbers it seems like they may have a bit more space to work with for one more big piece. There may be a little over $8M even with Oshie unresolved (assuming they go cheap in net). Beyond that, yeah, any additional bigger chunk requires some type of offset.

Reactions: Misery74

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
I honestly wouldn’t mind taking a buy-low approach on the recent high drafted Finns. I know, Caps and Finns.. but this is getting ridiculous..

Laine (2nd OA 2016), Kotkaniemi (3rd OA 2018) and Kakko (2nd OA 2019). Who all of of them could be had for Pennie’s on the dollar.

I mean, there’s so so much upside if they find an environment they’re comfortable in. My experience with Finish people (I’m Swedish) is that they’re a little introverted and drawn to their own and if they don’t have allies they can tend to isolate themselves and it can become a little destructive.
By getting them all, with similar struggles of living up to expectations and maybe adding a staff member with a degree in sports psychology and experience with Finnish athletes the Caps could potentially short track their route to contender status.
I believe in Carberry’s ability to get through to young players and the worst case scenario is they’ll suck for a few more years, collecting high draft picks while running out their contracts. Best case, well.. then they’ll have a top-9 with 6 former top-3 OA. And yes, draft pedigree is not all. But he skill is undeniable.

Ovechkin-Strome-Kakko
Laine-Dubois-Wilson
Milano-Kotkaniemi-Protas

With Miro, Leonard, Lapierre and McMichael to add when good enough/or use in a trade.

It’s a major gamble though, but it’s not Erat for Forsberg.

(Edited the sentence about the youngn’s)

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I honestly wouldn’t mind taking a buy-low approach on the recent high drafted Finns. I know, Caps and Finns.. but this is getting ridiculous..

Laine (2nd OA 2016), Kotkaniemi (3rd OA 2018) and Kakko (2nd OA 2019). Who all of of them could be had for Pennie’s on the dollar.

I mean, there’s so so much upside if they find an environment they’re comfortable in. My experience with Finish people (I’m Swedish) is that they’re a little introverted and drawn to their own and if they don’t have allies they can tend to isolate themselves and it can become a little destructive.
By getting them all, with similar struggles of living up to expectations and maybe adding a staff member with a degree in sports psychology and experience with Finnish athletes the Caps could potentially short track their route to contender status.
I believe in Carberry’s ability to get through to young players and the worst case scenario is they’ll suck for a few more years, collecting high draft picks while running out their contracts. Best case, well.. then they’ll have a top-9 with 6 former top-3 OA. And yes, draft pedigree is not all. But he skill is undeniable.

Ovechkin-Strome-Kakko
Laine-Dubois-Wilson
Milano-Kotkaniemi-Protas

With Miro, Leonard, Lapierre and McMichael add/use in a trade.

It’s a major gamble though, but it’s not Erat for Forsberg.
You had me until this part.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
You had me until this part.
I didn’t mean trade them just to trade them.

The “Add”-part was meant as added to the roster instead of eventually Ovie/Milano depending who develops the most, the others can be used to strengthen the D-roster. McMichael is the one I’d prefer to sacrifice and Lapierre would have to battle with the 3 “3rd Overalls” or move to the wing.

Trading Lappy now would be trading Foresberg bad
Agreed, obviously depending on the return. It could be a D-man with similar upside and trajectory.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
As long as it's not moving futures to finish 8th in the east again, sure.
I would have to think it's a few trades, one to move out a d-man and two to acquire(trade or free agency) a scoring d-man to take pressure off Carlson. I also think for the draft, 1st round you take best player available but I think the Caps will be looking to draft a d-man. They are fairly weak with d-men prospects.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ruther McGroarty apparently doesn't want to sign with the Jets. Might be on the trade market now or at some point.

I hope the Caps are in on this.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Ruther McGroarty apparently doesn't want to sign with the Jets. Might be on the trade market now or at some point.

Lots of implication that PLD is a problem because he wanted out of Winnipeg, but he's clearly not the only one.

Reactions: um

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland

14th OA in 2022

From Dobberprospects:
A highly skilled, competitive, versatile forward who can play on the wing and center. Lacks high-end speed and needs to improve his overall skating. He has the size, strength, and leadership qualities to go along with the scoring ability and hockey IQ to develop into a reliable two-way top-six multi-category fantasy option that will contribute to both the powerplay and penalty kill.

From Pronman:
McGroarty is a highly-skilled winger who is a threat inside the offensive zone because of his very good puck skills, shot and vision. He can make a lot of plays with finesse, but also is highly competitive.

From NHLrumors:
The Michigan commit has size, skill, hockey sense, is a net front presence, plays a physical and two-way game. His biggest development need is his skating, but he plays the game like a Tkachuk.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd be all over Rutger Hauer if I were Washington. He's ready to step into the NHL and projects to be a strong player with a good potential to be a star according to NHLe.

What would Winnipeg want in return?

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

The Instigator

Feb 6, 2010
With the options that I think will be there, I would probably trade 17 straight up for McGroarty. I'm not sure that's what they're looking for though, the ask could be higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: MW6

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
With the options that I think will be there, I would probably trade 17 straight up for McGroarty. I'm not sure that's what they're looking for though, the ask could be higher.
Unless there’s a better offer on the table, WPG doesn’t have much leverage as they might lose him for nothing. So 17th OA should be enough IMO.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The issue for McGroarty apparently had nothing to do with the city of Winnipeg but more so that they didn't sign him after his season ended, so perhaps some promises were broken there. I'd guess Jets would want NHL-ready young player in return and you'd likely need to have NHL spot ready for him straight away.

Value wise i think #17 would be tempting for the Jets but they might get more suitable offer elsewhere. Even if it's pick only i'd guess Red Wings would offer a better pick for sure. I don't know what they'd want from the Caps. McMichael?

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
The issue for McGroarty apparently had nothing to do with the city of Winnipeg but more so that they didn't sign him after his season ended, so perhaps some promises were broken there. I'd guess Jets would want NHL-ready young player in return and you'd likely need to have NHL spot ready for him straight away.

Value wise i think #17 would be tempting for the Jets but they might get more suitable offer elsewhere. Even if it's pick only i'd guess Red Wings would offer a better pick for sure. I don't know what they'd want from the Caps. McMichael?
I'd assume the Jets want NHL players, so I think McMichael might be tempting. Might have to add something small on our part.

The Instigator

Feb 6, 2010
I'm not sure McGroarty is worth that much more than McMichael at the moment. Don't like it.
Plus I like being flush with our plug and play centers.

I think there's more to McMichael still. I'm not ready to move on from him yet. I'll bring up the fact he was a late bloomer at every level until he's 40 years old probably.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Plus I like being flush with our plug and play centers.

I think there's more to McMichael still. I'm not ready to move on from him yet. I'll bring up the fact he was a late bloomer at every level until he's 40 years old probably.
Yeah that's a nice luxury to have. I'd consider it straight up probably but only if a contract was in place and an understanding you've got to earn your spot. If the report on the athletic is legit and he's upset the Jets wouldn't promise him a path straight to the NHL skipping the AHL I'm not so sure I even want him.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Re: McGroarty. Good player. Tough. High character. But I'm not sure I'd prioritize that type of more winger at this stage over saving up for an impact defenseman. Opportunities present themselves and they need to make advantageous deals when available but I don't love the fit even if I generally like the player. Certainly they need upside but up front they also need consistency and reliability. As-is they've got enough developing youth up front even presumably minus Leonard for now. For the 17th pick? I'd probably pass mostly because while he's further ahead he's not a great skater. Adding an upside winger that doesn't significantly improve pace seems a bit misguided, particularly since there ought to be a number of at least decent stopgap wings available in free agency.

Have to think Jeannot probably gets dealt. Perhaps Greentree. Plenty of talk Colton may also get moved and I still wonder what else TBL does to shave down their cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad