Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Would be pretty cool if we landed Guentzel. Or some other really effective winger. Suddenly we would have Guentzel (29), Strome (27), Dubois (25) and Lappy, Miro and Leonard in the making.

Maybe not exactly a ”contender” offensively but id say that could be a ”black horse” core for another 5-6 years.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Would be pretty cool if we landed Guentzel. Or some other really effective winger. Suddenly we would have Guentzel (29), Strome (27), Dubois (25) and Lappy, Miro and Leonard in the making.

Maybe not exactly a ”contender” offensively but id say that could be a ”black horse” core for another 5-6 years.
Need some D to even be worth trying past 8s retirement. Right now Carlson and Fever are the only real top 4 guys on the roster and Carlson has one foot in the retirement home door. Goaltending is also an unknown. Charlie probably isn't the long term solution already on the backside of his playing age. Cool story though and love rooting for the guy.

Reactions: hb13xchamps

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2010
Strome, PLD, Lapierre, McMike, Protas, Dowd. Should be interesting to see what happens here.
The good part about is that all of those guys have played wing at one point or another so there should be lots of interchange for Carbs to find options that work. Barring us trading one of course.

I'm not sure I really like any of them besides Dowd occupying the fourth line center role.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Dowd is a nice piece to trade at the TDL. Even if they keep him he's likely gone after the season. Protas? Has he ever played center regularly here? I think he'll get there but there isn't a rush to get there yet. One injury and he's going to get his chance there. One of McMike or Lapierre propably starts on the wing. Likely McMichael who has played most of his NHL career there.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Dowd is a nice piece to trade at the TDL. Even if they keep him he's likely gone after the season. Protas? Has he ever played center regularly here? I think he'll get there but there isn't a rush to get there yet. One injury and he's going to get his chance there. One of McMike or Lapierre propably starts on the wing. Likely McMichael who has played most of his NHL career there.
McMike is so much better at center though. Don’t love his game on the wing.

Reactions: um

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The other thing to mention, PLD was probably looked at as the core/franchise guy before, here he'll still be able to play under the shadow of Ovechkin and Carlson, and to some extent Oshie if he comes back.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I am going to assume Oshie is a no go

8-17-43
24-80-XXX (Gueutzel here would be amazing)
15-29-61
47-26-21

Would actually be really good

Reactions: um

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Ovie-Strome-XXX
Miro-PLD-Protas
Milano-Lapi/CMM-Wilson
Malenstyn-Dowd-XXX

Trade the odd man out between CMM and Lapi as part of a package for a 1RW, or if the 1RW comes via free agency package them with Jensen or TVR for a D upgrade. If they really wanna keep the buy-low on rough contracts thing going, try Ottawa about Chabot.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
For all the GMBM hate. Hes brought in 2 3rd overall pick centers 2015 and 2016 at age 25 and 26. And did it giving up nothing but a salary dump. They are signed for the next 4 seasons for a total cap hit of 13.5 mill. Thats some pretty good work IMO
I agree with this. These guys were highly touted, and Strome has been a home run.

Add to that, both Jimi and Miro may have been top five picks, if not for their health concerns.

I’m bought in.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Shep has one year left on his deal and it is a one way contract. Also Clay needs more games but he also goes one way in 2025-2026.

Shep has earned his chance so go with him out of gate (with competionion from Clay). If he doesn’t get there and caps look good get a vet at deadline.

Reactions: barriers

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Idk how hot of a take this is but I think the caps should try lapierre on the wing. Probably the highest upside winger they can plug in that is also realistic (I have high doubts any big money is thrown around unless Oshie makes a decision soon) and his speed likely suits being a winger better than 24

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Our focus needs to be on Dee now. Fine with forwards. Fine with goaltending (for now). We need a legit 2RD. I’d prefer to move Jensen but it may have to be TVR. I”d move McMichael with Dee for right guy. 2RD is the whole to fill.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
One can still trade Dowd at draft. He's at the end of the road with Caps and if some team really needs him why not.
They can't retain salary on Dowd at the draft, though, as all three retention slots are used. They would have to wait until after July 1 to retain salary on Dowd, and salary retention is what really boosts his value as it can bring his cap hit under minimum.

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
They can't retain salary on Dowd at the draft, though, as all three retention slots are used. They would have to wait until after July 1 to retain salary on Dowd, and salary retention is what really boosts his value as it can bring his cap hit under minimum.
Dowds peak value could be at the deadline. Like this past season, If we retain on his contract the cap hit would be less then the league min and a very valuable asset to teams up against the cap.

That said I would rather give the roster spot to a player in the future and not a 34 year old FA. So even if the Value changes from a 2nd to a 3rd I think it might be best to move him now.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Sam is my overall choice. Jake is very nice consolation. There’s no tantrum needed. He does the same thing every offseason and you all fall for it lol.

1. Talk about how they need an injection of youth and scoring
2. Leak to media their “interest” in someone they have no intention of signing to get fans talking
3. Talk post draft how “we tried but nothing came together”
4. Sign/trade for a washed up 3rd pair d-man
5. Media session saying you’re still looking for scoring
6. Sign/trade for injured/reclamation project middle 6 forward
7. Media talk again still looking for scoring
8. End up doing nothing of significance for the roster.
lol

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Basically anything other than somehow grabbing an All-Star top line forward is a failure and part of some conspiracy to suck.
I like how the master plan is largely based on a communication strategy to sell something to fans that clearly must be easy to accomplish with no intention of following through.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Dowds peak value could be at the deadline. Like this past season, If we retain on his contract the cap hit would be less then the league min and a very valuable asset to teams up against the cap.

That said I would rather give the roster spot to a player in the future and not a 34 year old FA. So even if the Value changes from a 2nd to a 3rd I think it might be best to move him now.
Yeah I'd probably hold onto him until the deadline. If he has a good season a 2nd is very possible. A 1st unlikely but it depends on how desperate teams are and the market this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad