Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
I agree on the small moves. We really haven’t had the cap space to genuinely target guys outside those salary structures though. In hindsight, Backstrom really bent us over. Signs the big deal and then his hip turns into mush. We finally have some space now so I think the fair approach is giving the GM time to show he can make another Oshie/Williams/Niskanen/Orpik level move.

Which Reinhart are we signing though? 50-65 point Reinhart or 57 goal, 94 point Reinhart? This season is a big outlier for his career. His previous career high was 33 goals. Do we really want to throw $11 million at a guy like that?
We could spend the money on a guy who is in his prime who has done it vs a handful of middle six kids turning into a hundred point player? I mean if your plan is not taking risks then let’s just sign the GMBM special of aging middle six wingers off of injury an a busted 3D and run it back. Surely that’s the solution we haven’t tried before?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
We could spend the money on a guy who is in his prime who has done it vs a handful of middle six kids turning into a hundred point player? I mean if your plan is not taking risks then let’s just sign the GMBM special of aging middle six wingers off of injury an a busted 3D and run it back. Surely that’s the solution we haven’t tried before?
A guy who has hit 50 goals once in a contract year. If he regresses our cap is even more f***ed than before.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
lol thank god it isn't your job...
So let me get this straight. A GM shouldn’t but judged by his failures because “he can’t see that coming” but I should lol? That’s a hell of a take.
Open your brain and read. Nobody's blaming you (and why would we, you've been very clear that it's not your job), we're saying you don't get to turn around and blame others with the benefit of hindsight.

If you could prove you felt this way in the moment and were opposing the process, sure, but @g00n already proved that you weren't.
You straight up don't understand the salary cap and it's embarrassing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Do I need to say “yep I was wrong at the time about the trade” to make you feel better? Lol. It’s very odd that you don’t see the difference a fan’s optimism about a trade vs someone who is supposed to be elite at the job of acquiring the correct pieces and how one being wrong is not the same as the other.

We're making you aware of the disconnect between your positions and it's not just about being wrong about a trade or fan's opinion. It's a total disregard for every belief you claimed to have about the GM job in general.

Calling everyone else delusional for not subscribing to your newsletter is the icing on the cake. If it's not your job, and you're not an expert, and you don't stand behind your opinions, and you will throw anyone under the bus no matter how much you agreed with them, why should we even read what you write?

Isn't that the goal of writing things on the internet? To have people read them? If you just want to vent your spleen and nothing else can't you stick your head out the window and do that?

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
When can criticism be levied at MacLellan?

Last offseason was a disaster (Pacioretty and Edmundson? Not cashing in on a clearly declining Tom Wilson????). The Connor Brown trade was silly even removing the ACL injury. Darcy Kuemper is missing an eyeball. They wasted a first round pick acquiring Mantha. His drafts have largely been misses. He made Todd Reirden the head coach.

Yeah there are good moves too. I don't know if he should be fired or not. But let's not pretend a dude whose team hasn't been competitive in years is one of the best in the biz.
wut. This is you judging out comes and not process. They were a cap strapped team, with little to not options to improve.

They rolled the dice on Pacioretty, it didn't work out but it was the least investment for the biggest return they could make last offseason.

For Edmundson, they traded a 3rd and a 7th for a minutes eater that they got a 3rd and a 5th back for, hating on that is ridiculous when they had 3 young players at LD.

Connor Brown was not silly, he was a consistent 40 point guy with incredible underlying numbers who got hurt in his first shift. For someone who loves to talk about advanced stats, Brown was exactly the kind of middle sixer you should want them to target.

Keumper was fine, to good, his first year here on an absolutely awful and gutted team. Him having a bad year this year doesn't suddenly make his entire tenure trash.

I hated the Mantha trade from day one, and am all aboard criticizing that move, but do it logically. A large part of that premium was dropping Panik due to the global pandemic screwing with the salary cap. Literally no team was prepared for those implications. On top of that he got a 2nd and a 4th back for a guy who started eating healthy scratches when it counted most.

Reirden was the heir apparent to Ted and company basically as soon as GMBM was hired. That whole coaching search was ran by Ted and Dick, and Todd was forced on Trotz cause they wanted him. And acting like moving on from Trotz was a bad move compeltely ignores how trash he was for most of that year. So, once again we're only looking at outcomes instead of what actually happened.

And I won't even get into the Tom Wilson stuff, you can grind that axe somewhere else. It's based in your emotional feelings around Tom more then anything else.

Acquire talent that does just that.
What Talent! Do you think there's just some magic wand they can wave to create these guys out of thin air?

If you don't want to get push back you have to live in the real world with expectations and wants.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If you don't know who is available and who isn't then how can you judge job performance?
Because it's easier.

That's why I always tell people that they just need to give their realtor a budget and wish list and it will always 100% happen or the realtor is bad at their job.

What are the listings in the area? Why should I know? Should I maybe consider how difficult it will be to get a multi-million dollar home on a 200k budget? Not my job, the realtor will inevitably make the deal happen and if I don't get the house or have to pay more than expected... they did a bad job.

And when/if they've done their best to give me something I can actually afford... believe me I'm going to be very critical of the property they elected to present and compare it to those multi-million dollar homes for sure.

Reactions: Jags and Kalopsia

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd temper your expectations. I wouldn't hate him breaking that one big splash into two smaller ones to spread the love around a little. But yeah, if he breaks it up any more than that, that would suck.
I don't think two ~$5M signings will go nearly far enough if that's the figure they have to work with. That's Barbashev money. The Stromes. JT Compher. Two forwards of that ilk are just more of the same...vastly insufficient in terms of leadership. Even more of a $5M LD to ease Carlson's load so that he can more primarily attack up ice seems unlikely, particularly structurally after having already signed Sandin to a $4.6M extension. I think there are a lot of subtle structural issues also at play that don't entirely make sense regardless of their continued allegiance to a fading core. I don't' think their more peripheral moves lately have been all that amazing ultimately. Does one headliner sort all that out? Probably not but I'll take the ambition the idea vs. another uninspired off-season of moneyball reclamations. The core isn't good enough for continued marginal tweakery. Go big or go home.

I do think they get what they need to do but availability and paying up sufficiently may be obstacles. They probably could withstand moving the 17th pick and Cristall or something like that for a top-line forward if that's all it takes. Concentrating more on depth seems very indecisive if that's the route they take. They have flexibility for once. They need to use it to acquire maximum impact. If we do believe There's a Plan then these past few seasons should have been forward-thinking re: amassing depth. They have Milano. They have Lapierre and Miro right on the cusp. There's no reason to be desperate overpaying for depth. Maybe it's foolish to expect additional subtractions but they probably should at least explore them. They should explore the market on Kuemper, Dowd, Jensen and TVR. The Bear signing sticks out in a big way currently. It seems like he could be waiver fodder regardless of what they do ahead of him.

MacLellan has waited for this off-season for a while it seems but $10M and six amassed 2/3 round picks isn't a vast arsenal. It's why IMO he's pushing for resolution on Oshie and why it would have been beneficial to have Leonard in the mix. Either way they're going to have significant flexibility to be active and I think the question is more just how creative will they be using it? If they quickly buckle and revert to moneyball beancounter type targeted moves then, I mean, Fishman and the analytics staff could do that on their own. It's on the big guy to batter up here.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I don't think two ~$5M signings will go nearly far enough if that's the figure they have to work with. That's Barbashev money. The Stromes. JT Compher. Two forwards of that ilk are just more of the same...vastly insufficient in terms of leadership. Even more of a $5M LD to ease Carlson's load so that he can more primarily attack up ice seems unlikely, particularly structurally after having already signed Sandin to a $4.6M extension. I think there are a lot of subtle structural issues also at play that don't entirely make sense regardless of their continued allegiance to a fading core. I don't' think their more peripheral moves lately have been all that amazing ultimately. Does one headliner sort all that out? Probably not but I'll take the ambition the idea vs. another uninspired off-season of moneyball reclamations. The core isn't good enough for continued marginal tweakery. Go big or go home.

I do think they get what they need to do but availability and paying up sufficiently may be obstacles. They probably could withstand moving the 17th pick and Cristall or something like that for a top-line forward if that's all it takes. Concentrating more on depth seems very indecisive if that's the route they take. They have flexibility for once. They need to use it to acquire maximum impact. If we do believe There's a Plan then these past few seasons should have been forward-thinking re: amassing depth. They have Milano. They have Lapierre and Miro right on the cusp. There's no reason to be desperate overpaying for depth. Maybe it's foolish to expect additional subtractions but they probably should at least explore them. They should explore the market on Kuemper, Dowd, Jensen and TVR. The Bear signing sticks out in a big way currently. It seems like he could be waiver fodder regardless of what they do ahead of him.

MacLellan has waited for this off-season for a while it seems but $10M and six amassed 2/3 round picks isn't a vast arsenal. It's why IMO he's pushing for resolution on Oshie and why it would have been beneficial to have Leonard in the mix. Either way they're going to have significant flexibility to be active and I think the question is more just how creative will they be using it? If they quickly buckle and revert to moneyball beancounter type targeted moves then, I mean, Fishman and the analytics staff could do that on their own. It's on the big guy to batter up here.
Wait, is it really just 10m? I thought just parking Backstrom and half the Kuznetsov contract would be more than that, what am I missing?

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
That’s who I am talking about yes lol
Yes lets pay for Reinhart who just screams for regression.

60g/100Pt player that before this year never scored more than 33 goals, and only once paced for a PPG forget 100 points (that he didn't hit this year 94*). He bagged a bunch of power play goals on a loaded Florida team he's not doing that in Washington. He screams a player that will not live up to expectations if we sign him.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I agree on the small moves. We really haven’t had the cap space to genuinely target guys outside those salary structures though. In hindsight, Backstrom really bent us over. Signs the big deal and then his hip turns into mush. We finally have some space now so I think the fair approach is giving the GM time to show he can make another Oshie/Williams/Niskanen/Orpik level move.

Which Reinhart are we signing though? 50-65 point Reinhart or 57 goal, 94 point Reinhart? This season is a big outlier for his career. His previous career high was 33 goals. Do we really want to throw $11 million at a guy like that?
I think Reinharts big season is 100% Barkov. Who ever plays with him puts up stats. Thats one player I would like to have.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Wait, is it really just 10m? I thought just parking Backstrom and half the Kuznetsov contract would be more than that, what am I missing?
There's the unfortunate Pacioretty overage that also eats into things. IINM the Caps will have the third-most dead cap next season. Part will also be eaten up by eventual extensions to McMichael and Malenstyn. Then promoting Lapierre and Miro was factored in. So likely something in the area of between, say, $10.5-11M as-is. That's with 14 forwards and 7 defensemen already, though, so perhaps some offsetting subtractions but not necessarily significant ones. If Oshie hangs them up then it's a nice boost but, if not, definitely not a massive sum to work with if sheer space itself needs to do the heavy lifting.

Reactions: Jags and Marshall

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
wut. This is you judging out comes and not process. They were a cap strapped team, with little to not options to improve.

They rolled the dice on Pacioretty, it didn't work out but it was the least investment for the biggest return they could make last offseason.

For Edmundson, they traded a 3rd and a 7th for a minutes eater that they got a 3rd and a 5th back for, hating on that is ridiculous when they had 3 young players at LD.

Connor Brown was not silly, he was a consistent 40 point guy with incredible underlying numbers who got hurt in his first shift. For someone who loves to talk about advanced stats, Brown was exactly the kind of middle sixer you should want them to target.

Keumper was fine, to good, his first year here on an absolutely awful and gutted team. Him having a bad year this year doesn't suddenly make his entire tenure trash.

I hated the Mantha trade from day one, and am all aboard criticizing that move, but do it logically. A large part of that premium was dropping Panik due to the global pandemic screwing with the salary cap. Literally no team was prepared for those implications. On top of that he got a 2nd and a 4th back for a guy who started eating healthy scratches when it counted most.

Reirden was the heir apparent to Ted and company basically as soon as GMBM was hired. That whole coaching search was ran by Ted and Dick, and Todd was forced on Trotz cause they wanted him. And acting like moving on from Trotz was a bad move compeltely ignores how trash he was for most of that year. So, once again we're only looking at outcomes instead of what actually happened.

And I won't even get into the Tom Wilson stuff, you can grind that axe somewhere else. It's based in your emotional feelings around Tom more then anything else.

What Talent! Do you think there's just some magic wand they can wave to create these guys out of thin air?

If you don't want to get push back you have to live in the real world with expectations and wants.
I literally just told you what and who I’d go for. While all of you would rather rest on GMBM drafting the next superstar which he has yet to show he can do. But sure we can give him 10 more years while you max excuses like him every offseason.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
There's the unfortunate Pacioretty overage that also eats into things. IINM the Caps will have the third-most dead cap next season. Part will also be eaten up by eventual extensions to McMichael and Malenstyn. Then promoting Lapierre and Miro was factored in. So likely something in the area of between, say, $10.5-11M as-is. That's with 14 forwards and 7 defensemen already, though, so perhaps some offsetting subtractions but not necessarily significant ones. If Oshie hangs them up then it's a nice boost but, if not, definitely not a massive sum to work with if sheer space itself needs to do the heavy lifting.
It looks like Capfriendly has them at around a projected 15.8M with Backstrom's contract folded into the LTIR cushion. I can't imagine Malenstyn getting a substantial contract and I think it's in CMM's best interest to bridge, so depending on what the bridges run these days you may be right (if overestimating a little, but that's how I prefer to do it too). edit: I'm not sure if this number is including Pacioretty's bonus, that's kind of hard to tell with the way they've got things set up.

I don't subscribe to this idea that the Caps need to take a huge swing so much as sign good players for their structure, but they do need to be aware of blocking incoming talent and gumming up the works. They can find and try for the guy they want (my hunch says Ehlers) and if it doesn't work... oh well. Still better to save and bide time based on what they've got going than to freak out.
I literally just told you what and who I’d go for. While all of you would rather rest on GMBM drafting the next superstar which he has yet to show he can do. But sure we can give him 10 more years while you max excuses like him every offseason.
Bad post, who has said a single thing about drafting the next superstar? Caps weren't even in a position to try that until last year. Are you getting this confused with people pointing out that half the players in your examples are actually high draft picks? You've said "the Capitals should make flashy moves and signings or they're not trying" and "I'd give Reinhart a 7/84m deal" so far.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I fundamentally disagree with people comparing the lost years of McPhee and MacLellan. McPhee’s lost years were almost entirely self-inflicted. They panicked after Halak and moved away from what worked to try and become a trapping team. He was either incapable of or unwilling to find a competent 2C and a partner for MG52. He said they didn’t need a new 2C because Brooks Laich was their Mike Richards. The defense was paper thin and lacked depth. He cheaped out on Zdeno Chara in 2006 and paid Brian Pothier instead.

Mac’s lost years were largely due to a global pandemic that shut the world down. He gave out big contracts to Kuzy and Nick and then saw the cap flatten out. And the Nick contract wasn’t his decision. We don’t know what his preference was — maybe he would have done the exact same thing without Ted’s edict — but we know Ted told him letting #19 walk wasn’t an options. Was it Mac’s fault Kuznetsov gave zero f***s in the bubble which was the beginning of the end for him here? Mac’s fault that Backstrom’s hip turned to wet brown paper? It’s well documented that Ted pulled the “I’m in charge” card and made the call on Trotz’s ouster, though Rierden was certainly a miss for BMac (albeit one that may not have happened if Ted paid up for BT). Not saying MacLellan doesn’t deserve some blame as he’s had his fair share of swings and misses but I think the lost opportunities under both GMs are very different scenarios. George “we like our team” McPhee was undone largely due to his own hubris.

We’ll see what happens. Building a team from scratch and finishing a team are very different tasks. There are different risk management profiles, different timelines, different decision making criteria, etc to building or rebuilding a team as opposed to finishing a team. I think Mac did well enough to get the team in the best position possible to win the Cup and I think he’s done an admirable job of keeping the window open under very difficult circumstances but he’s yet to prove he can or can’t lead them through a rebuild/retool. Does that mean that he’s going to be the right guy to lead them post-Ovi? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe a fresh set of eyes will be needed. I do shake my head reading some of this stuff though, there are some posters who need to reset their expectations as to what’s actually possible and plausible when running an organization.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You misunderstand, you want GMBM gone I want to know who you want to replace him with. What, or who, is it that you think would be better to lead this team and make the fundamental decisions for this team going forward? If you don't have answers to that, why should we listen? It's just a temper tantrum at that point.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I really think GMBM is handcuffed by Ted and Ovie. What can GMBM do if his boss tells him not to tank. And keep the team good enough for the chase of 895 and ticket sales.
895 will be great but we have been in no where land since that Islanders series with no real direction untill just last season when we finally traded Orlov.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
If we are playing fantasy GM I would target Lindholm. He can play center and a player ive been wanting us to get for while.
Lindholm - Strome - Lappy - CMM - is solid center depth Protas can also play center

I would also look into offering for Marner if he is really for trade. Wilson, Dowd, and Jensen would be my offer and maybe even add picks if needed.

Ovie - Lindholm - Marner would be a force of a line.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
You misunderstand, you want GMBM gone I want to know who you want to replace him with. What, or who, is it that you think would be better to lead this team and make the fundamental decisions for this team going forward? If you don't have answers to that, why should we listen? It's just a temper tantrum at that point.
I don’t believe I ever said I wanted him gone. Essentially I want him to wake the eff up. Sack up. And make this team better. That doesn’t happen with the meddling moves he’s made in the past. So either find it via the draft, trade or signing. For the 20th time the “we tried” excuse is old and bullshit. Max P and Edmundson aren’t “trying”. Be bold. Being conservative hasn’t worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad