Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Obviously Marner is a very good player but someone being paid that much money needs to be a difference maker and I'm not sure I saw that from him during this series. Honestly none of the Toronto big 3 looked like one. We need someone clutch, someone capable of lifting his play during the playoffs.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Obviously Marner is a very good player but someone being paid that much money needs to be a difference maker and I'm not sure I saw that from him during this series. Honestly none of the Toronto big 3 looked like one. We need someone clutch, someone capable of lifting his play during the playoffs.
People would have said the same things about just about every one of our core guys before 2018. Not advocating for Marner but sometimes it takes years for the stars to align.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
in Heart/60 Marner is in the bottom 1%

Raw numbers don't tell Marner's story

He never takes responsibility in pressers, in fact
he refused to talk after gm7 to the press, what a leader! (massive eye roll to the back of my head)

He's a prima donna.

Maybe in the future his heart will grow 3 sizes to get closer to the average NHL'er, I think the Johnny Gaudreau comp is fair... now Gaudreau is MIA in CBJ after being a crybaby for CGY in the Playoffs for multiple years, I think it was 2019 when he reached maximum clownshow, then actually started maturing and playing with heart (much like Kucherov after WSH beat TB then CBJ in the crazy 2019 1st rd )

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I find it interesting how everybody talks about Marner in the playoffs. We need a top line forward to put up a 100 points. When are we competing seriously in the playoffs exactly? The second half of his 8 year extension at best? And his playoff numbers are pretty decent. I'm sure we can find controller disconnect shifts for any player, clearly including Ovi.

BTW, happy birthday Mitch Marner - 27 today.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I find it interesting how everybody talks about Marner in the playoffs. We need a top line forward to put up a 100 points. When are we competing seriously in the playoffs exactly? The second half of his 8 year extension at best? And his playoff numbers are pretty decent. I'm sure we can find controller disconnect shifts for any player, clearly including Ovi.

BTW, happy birthday Mitch Marner - 27 today.
What kind of leader avoids talking to press after gm7 and takes an adversarial approach in interviews and takes no responsibility, only making excuses
I don't want to sacrifice character and culture for someone who fleeced mgmt to an 11M contract
And do we think he's going to be less for a new contract? lol
He'll ask for 12 x 8yrs and threaten to go to the Swiss League if he doesn't get his way
No thanks.

During gm7 when Swayman made that crazy mistake leaving the puck behind the net and Marner was right there what does he do?
He doesn't go straight to the goal to slam it home or a wraparound, he skates to the corner hoping for someone else to go to the dirty area and the golden chance fizzles
No thanks.
Character matters

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
GMBM quote from RMNB..

“I want to leave room for our guys to grow. I want to get with the coaching staff and target a couple areas that I think or hopefully they think we need.”

Appears he is aligned with the notion of being hesitant to trade out any of the young talent. Have to be open to value-for-value age-similar hockey trades, but I'm pleased he doesn’t seem to want to prioritize sending out youth for near-UFA-age name talent.

CMM had only 8 less goals than Marner (albeit in 11 less games).

Last edited:

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Wondering if there is still a chance Leonard changes his mind for next season. Playing on the National team might make him feel he should take a step up. Maybe even both he and Will Smith come to the same conclusion. GMBM needs to let him make that decision and not push.

Anyone know the NCAA rules - is Leonard able to change his mind over the summer?

Speculation yes, but will be on my mind if he excels against men in the tournament.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
One thing that struck me about the Leafs pre-game. In the tunnel, before hitting the ice, they just stood around stoic (with Reeves in street clothes trying to encourage them). Contrast that with the Caps wild, hilarious pre-game routines.

I also don't recall the Leafs organization routinely releasing video of Keefe's first post game team comments and player shout outs ever. I love seeing Carberry doing those.

Twabby or anyone... is there a Stat for all this esoterica I speak of?

Maybe a young target for the Caps on the Leafs would be Roberson rather then the jaded stars...

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Sorry but they’re all on the wrong side of 30 years old or close to it.

Zebras would rather stay in Anaheim? Really?

Bertuzzi is only 28 (and scored only THREE more goals than CMM in the same number of games).

The almost unique situation the Caps are in, if we have the maximum available dollars (space + LTIR + any trade outs at the draft) to spend for next season after signing CMM and maybe Beck, is we could easily offer one of the 32+ year old guys (Marchessault, Stamkos, Tafoli - all over 30 goals last year) up to DOUBLE what they made last year for a one year deal. Me might be able to do it with two of them.

I haven't done the deep dive but their existing teams might want to offer less then what they are making with a term offer. So they could make more in one year here that two or more elsewhere. Also, they might consider their personal circumstances... maybe a one big pay year and done is what they and their families want.

Again it's an option for GMBM to consider to get Ovi help now and not commit dollars until they have given the youth more time to grow. And they may have their eyes on some potential FA targets in summers beyond this one to save space for.

Marchessault made 3.5M - could give him 7M
Tafoli made 3.5 - could give him 7M
Stamkos made 6.5M - could give him 10M

Could also negotiate if they would be willing to go at the deadline retained for a chance at a Cup run and return Draft Capital - if for some reason we were out of it.

Options, options....

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
GMBM quote from RMNB..

“I want to leave room for our guys to grow. I want to get with the coaching staff and target a couple areas that I think or hopefully they think we need.”

Appears he is aligned with the notion of being hesitant to trade out any of the young talent. Have to be open to value-for-value age-similar hockey trades, but I'm pleased he doesn’t seem to want to prioritize sending out youth for near-UFA-age name talent.

CMM had only 8 less goals than Marner (albeit in 11 less games).
Wasn't that his reply in the presser to a question about bringing in FAs?

This one stuck out to me. Seemed like a political answer where he started to tip his hand about a youth rebuild instead of filling too many holes with FAs, and then shifted to talking about getting with the coaches so it doesn't seen like the matter is settled and he's dictating to them.

IMO this is more about leaving "room" in the salary cap and roster for guys like Leonard who will be here in a year or two. I wouldn't expect many FA contracts more than 1-2 years for that reason, and probably no big splashes unless something lands in his lap.

Reactions: Calicaps

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Further on Dubois, I got a note from someone from an NHL team (not LA or Washington) wondering if a Dubois for Darcy Kuemper deal could make sense for both teams. The Kings are searching for goaltending and the Caps could use the help up front.
Another seven years at $8.5M and a NMC is awful rich. Still rather young but not sure he'd take off on an even more offensively challenged team.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010

Another seven years at $8.5M and a NMC is awful rich. Still rather young but not sure he'd take off on an even more offensively challenged team.
I wouldn't take that even if the Kings' included their first-rounder this year.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017

I wouldn't like it either but in all fairness, it's only a NMC for four years. Then drops to a modified NTC. So the handcuffs aren't quite as rigid.

In any case, PLD is a Center and we have Strome/McMichael/Lapierre down the middle. I don't want to block the kids' development - unless we trade one for a superstar, I'd rather load up on top-end scoring wingers.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

If the Kings want to throw in Byfield and retain $2M for PLD I’d consider this but one for one? Less than zero interest.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
During gm7 when Swayman made that crazy mistake leaving the puck behind the net and Marner was right there what does he do?
He doesn't go straight to the goal to slam it home or a wraparound, he skates to the corner hoping for someone else to go to the dirty area and the golden chance fizzles
No thanks.
Character matters
That’s some clever story telling. Shattenkirk was ready beside the net defending the wrap around, Marner got above the goal and shot it immediately.

Reactions: Calicaps

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
If the Kings want to throw in Byfield and retain $2M for PLD I’d consider this but one for one? Less than zero interest.
Or their #1 in 2025 or 2026. Hagens looks great and Gavin Mckenna(Bedard's cousin) looks even better. By 2026, the kings may have taken a nosedive

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
That’s some clever story telling. Shattenkirk was ready beside the net defending the wrap around, Marner got above the goal and shot it immediately.
Marner had the chance to hit the brakes and tuck it in short side, away from Swayman/Shattenkirk/Pasta, and before Zacha could close in
Or he could have tried to wrap, trying to force his way thru Shattenkirk/Swayman and maybe draw a penalty or a good rebound

Instead he chose to avoid all contact and throw up a weak one

here's a prime example from gm2 of being afraid of contact

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
There's probably only a handful of guys out there I'd trade for with 7 year deals left and PLD is at the bottom of the list. There would be an unrealistic asking price to take on his deal that I'm certain LA won't be willing to pay until they first see if they can properly motivate him. They've got 8-10M coming off the books this summer and the cap will rise too. They didn't have a terrible year with him in the lineup despite his lackluster performance.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Still can't believe that LA gave up Gabriel Vilardi (plus a lot more) for PLD. Although Vilardi's biggest downside (that he's always hurt) still hasn't gone away, but he's so productive while on the ice.

Reactions: AZ Caps Fan

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Caps should be a suitor for PLD...

...If he gets bought out and is looking for a 1-year, 3.000m AAV contract like Dylan Strome.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
There's probably only a handful of guys out there I'd trade for with 7 year deals left and PLD is at the bottom of the list. There would be an unrealistic asking price to take on his deal that I'm certain LA won't be willing to pay until they first see if they can properly motivate him. They've got 8-10M coming off the books this summer and the cap will rise too. They didn't have a terrible year with him in the lineup despite his lackluster performance.
The Kings have a significant motivation to buy him out before June 24. On that date, according to the following, the cost of the buyout doubles, from one-third of the total owed to two-thirds:

If the Kings buy Dubois out before his 26th birthday June 24, they’ll be responsible for one third of the remaining salary due to him, stretched across 14 seasons. Per Capfriendly, that sets them up with a modest cap hit for nine of the next 14 years (ranging from $1.13 million to $1.63 million), with the other five seasons’ penalties falling between $2.53 million and $3.82 million. On or after June 24, that cost will double, and there’s an element of suspense since the buyout period won’t open until the Stanley Cup is awarded, a date that could be as late as – you guessed it – June 24.

PLD

So deciding to wait to see if somehow his performance rises closer to his compensation level is a big and potentially costly risk.

• Wow
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Kings have a significant motivation to buy him out before June 24. On that date, according to the following, the cost of the buyout doubles, from one-third of the total owed to two-thirds:

PLD

So deciding to wait to see if somehow his performance rises closer to his compensation level is a big and potentially costly risk.
I saw in the PLD thread on the mains that the Kings could get f***ed over with that though. Apparently if the SC final starts as scheduled, and goes 7 games it’s past the June 24th date. There’s some wiggle room if the conference finals end early but if the stars align and it goes 7 games they might get shafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad