Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I'm going to be honest, and please don't put me on ignore before you hear me out. I would like to see the caps take the NHL suspension and add a game on their own. I'm all for a team standing up for its players, and I feel they have done that in spades with Wilson. But right now I think Wilson thinks this is him vs the NHL. I think it would speak volumes if the team sent a message to him saying, "were paying you this money, we need you to play smart." If we act like he did nothing wrong he is going to keep doing it. I'm sure they are talking to him behind closed doors, but I would like to see a real message be sent.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Walker Dowd out of shape DSP 4th line sounds a lot like 8 minutes of TOI the game before a back to back on the road. Not ideal

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm going to be honest, and please don't put me on ignore before you hear me out. I would like to see the caps take the NHL suspension and add a game on their own. I'm all for a team standing up for its players, and I feel they have done that in spades with Wilson. But right now I think Wilson thinks this is him vs the NHL. I think it would speak volumes if the team sent a message to him saying, "were paying you this money, we need you to play smart." If we act like he did nothing wrong he is going to keep doing it. I'm sure they are talking to him behind closed doors, but I would like to see a real message be sent.

This is how you gut a team, not how you successfully try to teach someone a lesson. This is a player who defends his teammates every time and you think Managament piling on with an extra game is the way to go? Hell no.

Let the NHL handle the punishment and the team can support the players like always. And yeah, of course behind closed doors they’re telling him to pick his moments more wisely.

I don’t get some fans. Sorry.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Megna on waivers to be released

Yeah they had 24 so I figured Megna was the odd man out here.

How sucky for Karl Alzner, healthy scratch tonight against the Leafs to break his ironman streak. :(

8 seasons in a row down the tubes. I also cannot believe Alzner only just turned 30 years old.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
This is how you gut a team, not how you successfully try to teach someone a lesson.

Let the NHL handle the punishment and the team can support the players like always.

A team can't punish its own players? How about what Wilson is doing to the team? Right now he is the one causing harm.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

That only works if Wilson was not following orders from Trotz and now Reirden.

If they were/are complacent in Wilson's dangerous playing style, then they can't turn on him like that.

Reactions: g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You know damn well the Caps want him playing his game. They also probably want him making better decisions in those moments.

He does most of the time....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Caps can healthy scratch Wilson any time they want.

That’s not suspending him an extra game, but yeah, if they were fools and wanted to send a terrible message, they could scratch him for an extra game with pay. Do you really expect them to do that or welcome the player back with open arms right after the NHL suspension ends?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

Yes. It could definitely be the whole sneak him through waivers now when everyone's roster is full only to send him down before the 10 game 30 day mark. Also seems to suggest TW suspension is less than 10 games or that they plan to send him down and bring up Siegenthaler at some point before that suspension is done.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
That’s not suspending him an extra game, but yeah, if they were fools and wanted to send a terrible message, they could scratch him for an extra game with pay. Do you really expect them to do that or welcome the player back with open arms right after the NHL suspension ends?

It depends on if they want him to change his conduct, and if they have tried and failed to change him in the past, and how serious those efforts were.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Is the air thin up there on your moral high ground lol?

I’d wager no, they can’t “pile on” per the CBA.

No reason to get snarky. I agree a team should stand up for its players, but that doesn't mean blindly being ok with them doing the wrong thing. I have no idea what the CBA says on this, nor do I expect them to do anything. But the kid isn't getting it and HE is the one hurting the team. If a caps player got a DUI I wouldn't want them to blindly make excuses. Nor do I want them to defend a guy who continues to break the rules in regards to hits. If it takes the team to sit him down to fix the problem, that's what I want.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
You know damn well the Caps want him playing his game. They also probably want him making better decisions in those moments.

He does most of the time....

The Caps do, as do I. His game is very important, there is no denying that. I want him on the top line every night. But he has to learn to play smart to do that. Another suspension come playoff time will be much worse than last year. He could miss two entire series and it would be costly. Not to mention the cap hit we are eating for a guy suspended.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It depends on if they want him to change his conduct, and if they have tried and failed to change him in the past, and how serious those efforts were.

They just signed him to a massive deal. I don’t think he’s on an internal plan to improve as an employee lol....

You talk to him about making smarter decisions, you show him video and you thank him for his service.

Reactions: Silky mitts

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No reason to get snarky. I agree a team should stand up for its players, but that doesn't mean blindly being ok with them doing the wrong thing. I have no idea what the CBA says on this, nor do I expect them to do anything. But the kid isn't getting it and HE is the one hurting the team. If a caps player got a DUI I wouldn't want them to blindly make excuses. Nor do I want them to defend a guy who continues to break the rules in regards to hits. If it takes the team to sit him down to fix the problem, that's what I want.

There is almost no differenc between Ov at Wilson's age and Wilson. The level and ferocity of the hitting. The occasion bad decision that made for bad hits and discipline.

As Wilson gains experience those bad hits will be filtered out. Just like with Ov

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

To play his game, he’s going to cross the line occasionally....you just hope when he does, it’s not really bad.

I think you guys need to realize he’s not going to change much...maybe as he ages he’s not as physical, but I don’t see him backing off his style of toeing/sometimes crossing the line. That makes him a game changer. He didn’t get paid for point production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad