GDT: Caps Flyers 3pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Positives
Cristall was outstanding, our best player. Don't know if he made a bad play once.
Miro gonna have a big year in Hershey if he doesn't make the team.
Mateiko was tremendous too, really impressed.
Parascak looked pretty good. His poor skating seemed exaggerated.
Muggli didn't look bad, didn't like the pick at draft day but he impressed me some.

Negatives
The entire first line was brutal. Lappy and Frank must still be hungover. Felt bad for V. Hopefully he gets some linemates that want to play in the NHL over the next couple games to prove himself.
Allen looked lost out there. Can't count the amount of times he made the wrong read or was just out in space unsure of which player to cover. Looks like an IQ thing, hard to fix that.
HHA wasn't especially good either but pretty sure anyone paired with Allen wouldn't have looked very good.
Shep and Mud weren't very sharp.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Positives

Muggli didn't look bad, didn't like the pick at draft day but he impressed me some.
Muggli also looked solid to me. He rarely looked out of place either positionally or with regards to the NHL-level competition. Obviously, the pro experience helps, but there were bunch of other players in red today with pro experience who didn't look as composed.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Frank particularly not stood out for me.
I love Frankie but to be honest having watched both he and Dube play live about 25 games last year I think he's been passed on the undersized goal scoring tweener chart. I was kind of upset when Dube got his shot before Frankie at the NHL level but last year has certainly swayed me. Dube is 3 years younger, plays the game with more of an edge, doesn't disappear for long stretches and showed he's pretty damn tough playing through injury in the playoffs. Franks a bonafide AHL super star but I just don't see anything else from him. His development has peaked.

Reactions: Marshall

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I thought Frank improved his defense last year a bit and certainly had a way better, more consistent playoff run compared to '23. There was some improvement to where maybe things were clicking for him, albeit likely remote at his age. He did lead the Bears in goals during last year's run and perhaps could have been runner-up to Lapierre as playoff MVP. Perhaps.

Lapierre wasn't any good in this one either. One would think the safe money is still on a Milano-Lapierre-Protas third line if they indeed stick with McMichael on the second line LW. But I would at least keep the door ajar for Cristall or Miro if Lapierre doesn't attack this pre-season as though he's got something to prove. Because he still very much does and one would think Carbery will be inclined to feed into that competition as much as the likes of upstarts like Cristall and Miro allow. Not like they can't just shift McMichael to 3C or even see how Protas would fare in that role.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I thought Frank improved his defense last year a bit and certainly had a way better, more consistent playoff run compared to '23. There was some improvement to where maybe things were clicking for him, albeit likely remote at his age. He did lead the Bears in goals during last year's run and perhaps could have been runner-up to Lapierre as playoff MVP. Perhaps.

Lapierre wasn't any good in this one either. One would think the safe money is still on a Milano-Lapierre-Protas third line if they indeed stick with McMichael on the second line LW. But I would at least keep the door ajar for Cristall or Miro if Lapierre doesn't attack this pre-season as though he's got something to prove. Because he still very much does and one would think Carbery will be inclined to feed into that competition as much as the likes of upstarts like Cristall and Miro allow. Not like they can't just shift McMichael to 3C or even see how Protas would fare in that role.
Yeah, I feel like Lapierre is going to be better in the next games, but I agree. If he doesn’t and someone like Miro/Cristall are doing great, I could see a total case for leaving Lapierre down and having one of them up. Even works out better position wise.

But that being said, I don’t think it’ll be the case, a first game of preseason is a first game of preseason, I have no reason to believe he won’t get his feet under him.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I was down in Blacksburg for VT-Rutgers game so i sold my tickets for this one. I hope to go on Friday.

Looking at box scores and reading, it is really excited to see Cristall getting so much love. Would be great to see him continue to trend and hang for 9 games of regular season. And then who knows what. Kinda feels like a “youngerster” could steal a spot between Cristall and Miro.

But as other noted… first preseason game. Lot more to come but sounds like some cuts could come tomorrow. Will be interesting to see which prospects get a second game on Tuesday.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Agree with others, thought Cristall and Miro looked very good. Muggli was impressive. Cam Allen definitely made mistakes, but I’m intrigued. A project for sure, some skills there that their blue line has been short on for awhile.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Miro and Cristall with a good showing. Both propably jumped Vrana and Frank on the depth chart here (for NHL spot). It's early, but especially for Vrana it might just be this plus another game or two and it's lights out to his career in the NHL for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad