Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs. Flames 11/4/14 7:00 PM Caps Lose 4-3 OT

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree we need to tighten up some of the errors and its really shocking that we had the lead in most of these games we ended up losing. Again its not all goaltending but a big chunk of it is.

Sub .90 sv pctg (really sub .91) is simply not acceptable in todays NHL.

On the last goal in OT. It was on Niskanen tripping over himself in the ozone that led to the odd man rush and resulting confusion. Green had a hand in a couple others but I would pin that one on Niskanen.

your love for Mike Green is really showing on this one. He and Nisk both royally screwed the pooch on that play. At the end Green was the only one way out of position well about to play and covering nobody. He definitely deserves some of the blame for that screw up

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
My biggest complaint so far, defense-wise, is with the forwards STILL collapsing so much. Whether it's on the PK or 5-on-5. Jim Johnson did wonders when our forward group aggressively pressed the opposing D, hate seeing the passivity from our forwards.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
My biggest complaint so far, defense-wise, is with the forwards STILL collapsing so much. Whether it's on the PK or 5-on-5. Jim Johnson did wonders when our forward group aggressively pressed the opposing D, hate seeing the passivity from our forwards.

Yes, I have noticed this. We give the two defenseman wayyyyy too much ice. I think that has been a major problem. I'd rather them try to pressure the puck than collapse.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

I believe Trotz wants them to help break the low cycle to start the breakout and is willing to give up the point to do it. I could be wrong but that looks like what's happening to me. The team as a whole needs to get better at defending point shots for that to work, though.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So at what point do we stop saying "we're not getting the bounces" and start to figure out if the issues lies somewhere else? If we lose the next two? When every game plays out the same way, this is a trend with the team. It has nothing to do with being unlucky anymore.

Also regarding forwards - I understand that they aren't creating chances off of sustained pressure, but they still did score 3+ goals the last 3 games. We need to be able to win some of those. Can't expect the team to put up 5 goals for wins.

There are issues right now, and I have no idea what it is. Goalies certainly can be much, much, much better but other things need to be looked at as well. And we need to start winning games ASAP or we will be in a a big hole. I'll take a few Oatesian wins if needed.

http://www.japersrink.com/2014/11/4/7150087/everythings-not-fine-but-its-fine

your love for Mike Green is really showing on this one. He and Nisk both royally screwed the pooch on that play. At the end Green was the only one way out of position well about to play and covering nobody. He definitely deserves some of the blame for that screw up

No doubt Green had a rough game. That last one was in part due to him but really I'd put much more on Niskanen.

A dman in the Ozone, in a 4 on 4 situation, simply cannot just randomly fall down. I'd have to see it again but I don't believe he was touched. I cringed right when that happened and knew bad things were afoot based on our non existant goaltending.

But yes. Green was bad last night. I'd pin that 3rd goal on him more than Johansson easily. The first one was on him as well.

I believe Trotz wants them to help break the low cycle to start the breakout and is willing to give up the point to do it. I could be wrong but that looks like what's happening to me. The team as a whole needs to get better at defending point shots for that to work, though.

Most all teams collapse now and do this. Its just how the game is.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Actually that article has the opposite effect on me. Comparing anything we are currently doing to the Boudreau era makes me nervous.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
So at what point do we stop saying "we're not getting the bounces" and start to figure out if the issues lies somewhere else? If we lose the next two? When every game plays out the same way, this is a trend with the team. It has nothing to do with being unlucky anymore.

We stop saying it now, or yesterday. Or 10 years ago.

Hot goalie, bad bounces, bad refs, bad goalie ... they are all, at the end of the day, excuses.

For sure, on any given night, one or more of these factors may play a part, even a big part. But to stop there ignores such a basic factor, which is, 'How does the team respond to adversity?'

Whether the adversity it bad reffing or a hot goalie, how does your squad respond to it? Do they get panicky? Do they get so frustrated, they explode and self-destruct? Do they implode, and check out, and scatter to the wind?

To me, we look like a mentally fragile team.

But maybe I am just projecting. :help:

evilash616

Nov 5, 2014
It's nice to see people not completely hating on the Caps this season even though they're going through a pretty bad rough patch right now. That being said, it's kind of hard to pin point one specific thing that's wrong with this team. Goaltending is definitely an issue. Holtby needs something to motivate him to play his playoff game in the regular season, shoot, I'd take him at 3/4 of his playoff game at this point. Peters has absolutely ZERO confidence. I can't remember the last Caps goalie that has looked this shaky. Send him down, let him get his confidence back (if that's possible) and give Holtby a rest. Give Grubauer ONE start, see if that shuffles things up a bit cause something needs to get these goalies going. On to other things. Am I the only person who thinks Karl Alzner is a bit over rated? I've seen people touch on it a bit, but he really needs to turn the corner soon! I mean if he was as good as everyone thinks he is, he would've been on Team Canada in this past Olympics. I know Green is real easy to pick on a lot of the time and now people are starting to pick on Nisky and Carly, to me, Alzner is right there too. He's just as much to blame as all the other D. That being said, I love Wilson on the first line, that was a win last night if Hiller doesn't come up with one of the best saves of the season so far. I think this team will turn the corner soon. Players on this team need to make better decisions. FACT! Can Trotz teach people (Caps players) to make better decisions? Who knows, sports psychology is not an easy thing to teach. I really hope he's the guy. I like his honesty.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't get it. I really don't.

At what point in the game last night did the Caps show any indication of mental fragility?

I certainly haven't seen any of this. Especially not last night.

Against Arizona we fought all the way until the end even.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't know about fragile but I thought they were tentative in the third period. Maybe nursing the lead is to be expected under the circumstances but they didn't display any killer instinct. They only had eight shots in that frame and just three from forwards outside of the top line. Trotz went a bit too much to the fourth line relying on them to cycle the Flames to death, though I suppose that says something about who he's confident in at the moment.

Surely the forwards aren't THE problem. There's no THE problem during a five game losing streak. But fundamentally I don't like the way the second and third lines are playing much at all.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Well, like I said, I could be wrong.

That's just what I see.

What I saw after we gained lead last night was a lack of urgency or desperation. Just watch the two following PPs. It didn't feel like we were going in for the kill at all.

As for us "fighting all the way until the end" against Arizona, I don't think Trotz would agree with that. He was furious with the team afterward, as were a lot of us here on the board. Yes, they scrambled and fought and almost accomplished a miracle comeback with two empty-net goals at the very end. But I'm talking about the 2nd period, when we were up 3-1. Instead of making sure we got the next goal and breaking other team's spirit, we made several dumb plays, especially Fehr's failed clear on the PK, and game was tied after 2.

And then even after Trotz explained between intermission that the game was slipping away from us and what he thought we needed to do in order to correct it, we came out and surrendered two very quick goals, effectively breaking our spirit.

As for the mental fragility, I just don't see the swagger of the old days, the run-and-gun days. Even the fluke goal last night was almost from being overly cautious. Look at that play. Why is Brouwer even down there? We have four players within about 10 feet of each other. Of course MoJo's clearing attempt struck a skate.

Dating back to Game 7s where we lost in embarrassing blowouts, I just see a recurring issue of not showing up at gut-check time.

But I acknowledge, that's a totally subjective impression. Others, such as you and NBW, may easily see something totally different.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
The tying goal was completely a fluke goal.

How that is falling apart....I have no idea.

Some people, in this case tycoonheart, just type to type...it seems.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
The tying goal was completely a fluke goal.

How that is falling apart....I have no idea.

Again, it's not just the fluke goal, it's the 20 minutes in between us gaining the lead and them scoring the tying goal on a fluke. If you have poured it on, if you have increased your aggressiveness after taking the lead, if you have managed to convert on either PP at end of 2nd, or if you have converted on any of your chances in third, then you have not left yourself, yet again, at the mercy of one unlucky play deciding the game.

Last edited:

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't know about fragile but I thought they were tentative in the third period. Maybe nursing the lead is to be expected under the circumstances but they didn't display any killer instinct. They only had eight shots in that frame and just three from forwards outside of the top line. Trotz went a bit too much to the fourth line relying on them to cycle the Flames to death, though I suppose that says something about who he's confident in at the moment.

Hunter used to do same thing. Use Ovie to get the lead and then sit him and play for the 1-goal win. Boudreau, on the other hand, seemed to be more from the 'Go pad your stats, boys!' school of coaching.

I don't know yet where exactly Trotz falls, probably a little closer to Hunter, given that Trotz has now said several times that 'if you get to 3, you should win.' I can almost imagine Boudreau chuckling at that and saying, 'Not with this bunch, Barry. You gotta get to 5 or 6.'

The nice thing with Hunter and Trotz, though, is you don't get the games where you're already down 4-0 midway through the first. Those weren't fun either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad