Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
When the site goes dark it would be fitting to have a caricature of Ovechkin or Leonsis giving us the middle finger on the front page of capfriendly.com.
And in a really high voice they would repeat over and over: "f... you. f... you"

Last edited:
Reactions: The Colonel

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
So what was the point of Washington buying the site? Whats the benefit to them? I don't get why they did it.
It keeps other teams from continuing to use it for their own purposes.

When the site goes dark it would be fitting to have a caricature of Ovechkin or Leonsis giving us the middle finger on the front page of capfriendly.com.
It should just be that lock screen from Jurassic Park where he says "nuh uh uh. You've gotta say the magic word" over and over again.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Is there any chance the front facing public side of CF could’ve been given a lifeline due to backlash? With the CF owners ramping up a more detailed, analytics-based internal site as part of the Caps purchase? Or the CF public site getting spun off under different ownership and continuing…although I feel like we would have heard news about that…

Or is it just the Caps IT and legal team taking a long holiday weekend and too preoccupied to actually shut it down at the moment?

Reactions: cptjeff

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
It keeps other teams from continuing to use it for their own purposes.
Wow really, what a dick move lol. I'm sure other teams will find an alternative, they all have staff that handle their cap situation. Thats just sucks for us fans though.

Reactions: D1az

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wow really, what a dick move lol. I'm sure other teams will find an alternative, they all have staff that handle their cap situation. Thats just sucks for us fans though.

Apparently there were multiple teams looking into buying it and the league isn’t a fan of fans seeing too much info

• Haha
Reactions: SENStastic

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Too late now. It's out there that hockey fans like being able to check out teams' cap situations and play GM. There will always be a site like CF.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

a lot of teams dont have anything and rely on capfriendly for all their work.

Edit: Completely misread that tweet. Looks like its a bigger issue around the NHL than I realized, teams gotta get cracking and build something in house then. Can't believe so many of them we're using capfriendly to manage their 88M budget lol, thats just hilarious. They all should have a dedicated capologist that handles it in house. I'm really surprised so many relied on an open website that us fans use all the time too :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: ZDH
Feb 5, 2016
Still Capfriendly has not yet perished.

Neither the glory nor the will of HF boards has died yet.
Fate will also smile at us, HF boards brothers.
Our forum enemies will die like dew in the sun,
Thus, Administrators and Moderators, will also rule on our side.

Chorus:
We will give soul and body for our freedom,
And we will show that we, brothers, are of the HF boards family!
Let's become brothers, in bloody battle, from the free agent frenzy to the hfboards archive,

We will not allow anyone to rule in our native team boards!
The HF Sponsors will still smile, grandfather Administrator will rejoice,
In our HF boards, the posts will ripen.

• Haha
Reactions: JPT and Oak

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
It's funny that teams actually use this website and don't already keep tabs on this stuff internally, now they're scrambling to find an alternative.

Funny stuff from a mickey mouse league.
I'm pretty sure the scrambling for the teams are over since the fact that capfr*endly is going dark has been known for almost a month now.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Still Capfriendly has not yet perished.

Neither the glory nor the will of HF boards has died yet.
Fate will also smile at us, HF boards brothers.
Our forum enemies will die like dew in the sun,
Thus, Administrators and Moderators, will also rule on our side.

Chorus:
We will give soul and body for our freedom,
And we will show that we, brothers, are of the HF boards family!
Let's become brothers, in bloody battle, from the free agent frenzy to the hfboards archive,

We will not allow anyone to rule in our native team boards!
The HF Sponsors will still smile, grandfather Administrator will rejoice,
In our HF boards, the posts will ripen.
Blood and Souls for Arioch!

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Edit: Completely misread that tweet. Looks like its a bigger issue around the NHL than I realized, teams gotta get cracking and build something in house then. Can't believe so many of them we're using capfriendly to manage their 88M budget lol, thats just hilarious. They all should have a dedicated capologist that handles it in house. I'm really surprised so many relied on an open website that us fans use all the time too :laugh:
I can not believe this .. that teams do not have some salary cap system/calculator.

The KHL has a salary cap as well. The league created the salary cap calculator/app which is accessible to clubs via KHL CIB app. Teams can see on daily basis how their salary cap situation has been changing. I do not believe the NHL does not have similar system/calculator/app.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I can not believe this .. that teams do not have some salary cap system/calculator.

The KHL has a salary cap as well. The league created the salary cap calculator/app which is accessible to clubs via KHL CIB app. Teams can see on daily basis how their salary cap situation has been changing. I do not believe the NHL does not have similar system/calculator/app.
They don't. It's up to the teams to keep track of this stuff. If it wasn't for the NHLPA, none of the contract details would be out there for the public either.

And obviously all teams have staff to keep track of this stuff. The issue here is, that apparently a lot of the teams were just using CapFriendly to do this stuff, instead of engineering their own software. So those teams are SOL pretty soon and need to figure out something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad