Confirmed with Link: Capitals promote Chris Patrick to GM, Brian MacLellan will remain as President of Hockey Ops

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Ted is just following a strong DC Sports tradition. Maybe this time the results will be different.

La Sooz(1) had perhaps 8 years in Abe's employ before becoming Prez of Les Boulez. Many here know how well that worked out.

(1) La Sooz = Susan O'Malley, daughter of Peter O'Malley who was Prez of the Caps in their earlier days.

Reactions: John Price

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I would've liked to have seen some interviews with outside candidates, if for no other reason than exposure to some other potential plans for the organization. Caps management has been very inbred for a long time.
I'm curious who the high quality GM in waiting candidates are?

Reactions: Calicaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 6.08.30 PM.png

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Unimpressed with nepo hires. Not a fan of upper management to begin with and this just makes Daddy Patrick the defacto GM.
Not sure if I get this “hot take”.

Dick Patrick has the same job and pull he always has. If he wants something done, it gets done.

This doesn’t change that, like at all. It simply raises a few boats, as the tide comes in.

This has nothing to do with authority. I’m not sure how you cannot see that — like at all.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not sure if I get this “hot take”.

Dick Patrick has the same job and pull he always has. If he wants something done, it gets done.

This doesn’t change that, like at all. It simply raises a few boats, as the tide comes in.

This has nothing to do with authority. I’m not sure how you cannot see that — like at all.
When you look at everything as a failure of management you tend to believe all management is a failure.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The way they're selling this, it seems a bigger deal then I thought. I wonder if GMBM is actually winding down and taking a step back. Just seems like such an odd time to do it when, seemingly, he was the guy in charge of the offseason this year.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The way they're selling this, it seems a bigger deal then I thought. I wonder if GMBM is actually winding down and taking a step back. Just seems like such an odd time to do it when, seemingly, he was the guy in charge of the offseason this year.
i mean, it always seemed a pretty big deal.

but this latest stuff is just that one guy got promoted and so spots needed to be filled below.

i'd say Mac is obviously taking a step back. he's not going to be doing all the running around to league meetings and events and so on. pretty sure he's still going to be very involved in the major decision-making but it definitely seems like the old guard is turning a lot of the day-to-day over to younger guys.

organization is getting younger throughout. new generation, new era. last summer marked phase 1 of the retool, this summer, phase 2. Mac and Dick made the plan and kicked it off. the new guys will see it through.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

It’s exactly the path McPhee followed in Vegas and other have taken….I think they’re showing ample respect to CP that this just isn’t a title change…given his father and his 16 years with the Caps, seems deserving of a little pomp….

BM runs the show now other than Ted probably setting the direction of the club. GMCP is the point man now….in the trenches to carry out that vision.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm curious who the high quality GM in waiting candidates are?
Mathieu Darche (Tampa Bay AGM/Dir of Hockey Ops), Paul Krepelka (Florida VP of Hockey Ops), and Mark Hunter (London Knights, former Toronto AGM, Dale's brother) are some of the names that are being tossed out there for Edmonton's GM search (or Columbus' GM search before they snatched Waddell). Ryan Martin (NYR AGM/Harford GM) is another name worth considering.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I see these changes in the corporate world all the time. CEO steps down and just becomes the Chairman. It’s like moving from an operational role to a strategic role for GMBM. That moves cascades down to other levels. Rising tide raises all ships.

Also akin to the corporate world there is no such thing as a decision maker. It is always collaborative and group think. Sure there is veto power and the loudest voice but good leaders listen to their partners. This is why D-Bag Dan is out. The collaborative process with Caps will continue.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
It's also possible that Patrick was a candidate for the Edmonton job and the Caps just restructured, offering him that job to keep him.

(I can't bring myself to use CP or an abbreviation incorporating it. It has bad meanings in certain worlds.)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's also possible that Patrick was a candidate for the Edmonton job and the Caps just restructured, offering him that job to keep him.

(I can't bring myself to use CP or an abbreviation incorporating it. It has bad meanings in certain worlds.)
Possible? Sure. But it's also possible Edmonton is considering twabby.

Seems rather unlikely, all things considered. I haven't seen any stories linking Patrick to Edmonton or any other GM vacancy. There had been some speculation regarding Mahoney, but I hadn't seen anything around Patrick.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I always felt like the Mahoney title change was about keeping him...so it's a Ted thing to do. However, I can't image Patrick would consider leaving the organization he grew up in and loves and will likely one day own part of himself.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad