Salary Cap: Cap Situation Entering Free Agency

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
We have $9.35 million in cap space with the roster below. I don't think our cap situation is that bad. We would be able to sign a guy like Saad or Schwartz to replace Hyman up front, and bring back a guy like Galchenyuk for cheap. I think we'll be able to do more in free agency than a lot of people expect - especially if they're able to do some LTIR manipulation with Tavares.

If Nick Robertson is ready to be a top 6 winger, it could be huge for us - maybe sliding Galchenyuk down the lineup halfway through the year.

XXXX-Matthews-Marner
XXXX-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Engvall-Spezza-XXXX

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Sandin/Liljegren

Campbell
XXXX

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I would personally move on from Dermott, mikheyev and engvall. I don't think any of them have proven to be worth more than league min vets available every offseason and we could probably get back ~1.5 million in cap. I don't have the numbers in front of me to do the math at the moment

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
We should probably invest in a goalie. 82 games is a long season for Campbell and Hutch

LeafFan66

Apr 14, 2021
Gally could/should be a reasonable 2 LW if he can be re-signed at a reasonable price
Priority is someone to play with Marner and Matthews, ideally a shooter so other teams can't cheat off Marner onto Matthews and a goalie who can be 1A/1B to split time with Campbell.
If Hutch plays more than 10 or so games, the team will be in trouble given the division

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I'd bring Gally back on a 1 year prove it deal. He might take it thinking he can cash in at years end if he plays consistently on Matthews or Tavares line.

If not, bye!

Is Virtanen a low cost option? I think he's worth looking at.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
XXX - Matthews - Marner
XXX - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - XXX
Engvall - Spezza - Simmonds
ex. Brooks

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren
ex. Dermott

Campbell
XXX

I think they need 3 top-9 forwards to compliment the group and a backup goalie for about 8.5M in cap space. 2M for the goalie, 4M for one forward and a couple forwards for 1M. If they aren't changing the makeup of the other players through trade, then the 3 forwards coming in need to be very hard to play against.

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
We have $9.35 million in cap space with the roster below. I don't think our cap situation is that bad. We would be able to sign a guy like Saad or Schwartz to replace Hyman up front, and bring back a guy like Galchenyuk for cheap. I think we'll be able to do more in free agency than a lot of people expect - especially if they're able to do some LTIR manipulation with Tavares.

If Nick Robertson is ready to be a top 6 winger, it could be huge for us - maybe sliding Galchenyuk down the lineup halfway through the year.

XXXX-Matthews-Marner
XXXX-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Engvall-Spezza-XXXX

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Sandin/Liljegren

Campbell
XXXX

This season's tag line should be "we're running it back" with a video of failures in the first round of the playoffs.

Is inexcusable to have no significant changes to this lineup.

Does anyone see this D group making a deep Stanley Cup run?

Does anyone think Campbell is good enough to put the team on his back for two months in April and June?

Where is the toughness at the top of the lineup?

What's the saying about the definition of insanity? Leafs management must be in a padded room.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
We haven’t even got to the draft or Free agency yet. What are you going on about?

We have no cap room and the entire team is the exact same minus Hyman. Nothing to be excited about. Yes we still have the offseason but Dubas has committed to this team and won't be making any moves.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This season's tag line should be "we're running it back" with a video of failures in the first round of the playoffs.

Does anyone think Campbell is good enough to put the team on his back for two months in April and June?

What's the saying about the definition of insanity? Leafs management must be in a padded room.

We haven't even gotten to the entry draft yet. Talk about premature

Reactions: Smif

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Mikheyev-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Wennberg-Simmonds
Engvall-Brooks-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
Liljegren

Campbell
?????????

Not bad. My thoughts:
-If M and M play together, the third member of the line HAS to be a shooter.
-I like Kerfoot with 34 and 88.
Play Mitch with JT and a LW signing.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018

I don't see why this D Corps can't make a playoff run. The Leafs were 27th in goals against in 2019 and 7th in 2020, which is a huge improvement.

We also had toughness in the lineup last year, with Bogo, Simmonds, Thornton, Hyman, Holl, Muzzin. Toughness isn't just about throwing a hit, but going into the corners, going hard to the net, being hard to knock off the puck.

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We haven’t even got to the draft or Free agency yet. What are you going on about?
Hello y'all! :clap: How many hours exactly is it to the trade freeze window to be open again sire`? 8 exactly right from NOW no? How many hours milord?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Those third and 4th lines are just bad. And Soup on the top line?
I see nothing but regression from that lineup and even softer than before
You already knew the softer, tender side sire.... that's so awful.

Also eh uh, Robertson would be playing on the second line with the tavvy sire. We might also sign some real ol fool from free agensy to thug that thang up for us again .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad