Seravalli: Canucks will make a strong play for Guentzel and might present best mix of money and opportunity. Toronto, Washington, NYR, Florida also interested.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to Seravalli,

Canucks will be offering Guentzel a massive contract come July 1. Daily Faceoff projects Guentzels new contract to be around 63 million.
Canucks have over 25mil in cap space

Seravalli adds that if Toronto moves Marner, then they will be right there for the Guentzel sweepstakes. Same goes for Florida if they cant re-sign Reinhart.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If the Canes choose to let Guentzel get paid elsewhere (unpopular opinion: I still think there's a real shot that Carolina chooses to keep Guentzel, especially with the rumored Necas trade request), I hope it's with Chicago or Vancouver. No Eastern team, please. We already have Hamilton and Trocheck who both chose Metro rival teams.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If the Canes choose to let Guentzel get paid elsewhere (unpopular opinion: I still think there's a real shot that Carolina chooses to keep Guentzel, especially with the rumored Necas trade request), I hope it's with Chicago or Vancouver. No Eastern team, please. We already have Hamilton and Trocheck who both chose Metro rival teams.

Did the Canes alreayd decide they cant afford Guentzel? There were reports saying the Canes want to move his rights for a mid round pick.

Why arent the Canes interested in paying him 9mil AAV?

Reactions: Leafshater67

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Did the Canes alreayd decide they cant afford Guentzel? There were reports saying the Canes want to move his rights for a mid round pick.

Why arent the Canes interested in paying him 9mil AAV?

It's likely much more than $9M a year, especially if it's a team like Chicago. Again, though, I think people are underrating the possibility that Guentzel returns to Carolina. If he wants an overpay, though, he's much more likely to get it from Chicago or the JR-led Canucks.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Rare player to be available come July 1st.

Zero shock that several teams will be in the mix. Other signings may be slow July 1st morning waiting on this.

Likely, low key tampering is already being done right now.

Canucks for example havent re-signed any of their key UFAs yet because they are awaiting to see if they can get an idea on what it will take to get JG signed.

There's also that negotiating window before free agency actually opens up,

I feel we will hear a JG signing before it becomes official on July 1.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Can someone tell me the appeal for this guy? He doesn’t seem to be a physical force and how hard is to find a slight scoring winger?

I must be missing something? Is he some defensive demon in addition to his 30 goals?

Don’t get me wrong, he has played well on the wing of this generations best player but what else does he have on his resume?

Doesn’t scream to me 9m type of guy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Likely, low key tampering is already being done right now.

Canucks for example havent re-signed any of their key UFAs yet because they are awaiting to see if they can get an idea on what it will take to get JG signed.

There's also that negotiating window before free agency actually opens up,

I feel we will hear a JG signing before it becomes official on July 1.
And it's all being done via the media. Not unlike trade rumors. Wonder if the league will step in and put the kibosh on it. While it's not "technically tampering", it's certainly violating the spirit and intent of the rules.

I do wish in the new CBA they would put the extra week back in that allows teams to talk to a player a week before July 1st.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
According to Seravalli,

Canucks will be offering Guentzel a massive contract come July 1. Daily Faceoff projects Guentzels new contract to be around 63 million.
Canucks have over 25mil in cap space

Seravalli adds that if Toronto moves Marner, then they will be right there for the Guentzel sweepstakes. Same goes for Florida if they cant re-sign Reinhart.

I think we can operate under the impression Mikheyev is gone either via trade or buyout which according to Cap friendly gives us over 31.
Alvin has already shown he's willing to trim the fat via a sweetner.

As for Jake you gotta figure lack of any internal moves likely means he or another UFA is Numero uno on the to do list.
If that means we have to be aggressive to get him I'm all for that since he's just such a perfect piece.
Getting the most out of EP has to be paramount right?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can someone tell me the appeal for this guy? He doesn’t seem to be a physical force and how hard is to find a slight scoring winger?

I must be missing something? Is he some defensive demon in addition to his 30 goals?

Don’t get me wrong, he has played well on the wing of this generations best player but what else does he have on his resume?

Extremely high IQ and goal scoring prowness. What else on his resume: PPG in RS and Playoffs and set rookie goal scoring record while leading the playoffs in goals in 2017.

Rare when a legit top line LW comes available on the market.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Very good fit in Carolina, but not a perfect one. Older than they had been trying for previously. He didn’t fix the PP, which let the team down against the Rangers. Some restraint is appropriate.

Given where the team was in the build and the quantity rather than quality price paid, a worthwhile trade.

Reactions: Visnovsky

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Very Skilled with High IQ, low maintenance guy that elevates his game in the playoffs.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Very good fit in Carolina, but not a perfect one. Older than they had been trying for previously. He didn’t fix the PP, which let the team down against the Rangers. Some restraint is appropriate.

Given where the team was in the build and the quantity rather than quality price paid, a worthwhile trade.

Also important to the value of the trade for Carolina is that it cleared even more cap room. $4.5M a year's worth, to be exact.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
And it's all being done via the media. Not unlike trade rumors. Wonder if the league will step in and put the kibosh on it. While it's not "technically tampering", it's certainly violating the spirit and intent of the rules.

I do wish in the new CBA they would put the extra week back in that allows teams to talk to a player a week before July 1st.
I mean the fact that we see massive deals as soon as the frenzy starts pretty much proves that there's conversation going on but at the end of the day does it really matter?
Players have an idea long in advance where they want to go or stay so a little talk before July 1 isnt going to screw anyone over.
These GMs are all part of the same circle so to speak so unless it's something really egregious I doubt we see any changes.
In fact they should bring back the window since teams that own said players rights has already had plenty of time to get a deal done.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
You gotta think that the Canucks selling points will be right up there vs any other top offers:

1. Vancouver the city. World class place to live especially for millionaires.
2. History with Tochett ,Allvin and Rutherford
3. On ice Opportunity: Linemate with 100 point Centre just entering his prime. 1st unit PP with likely Norris Winner , etc..
4. Big Contract : Canucks have the cap space and can afford the projected 9+mill AAV and 7 yr term
5 American Core- Not sure if this matters much but Canucks have alot of American players in their core: JT Miller, Demko, Hughes, Boeser, Garland
6. Contending Team: His prime years will line up to a contending window that the Canucks have.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Also important to the value of the trade for Carolina is that it cleared even more cap room. $4.5M a year's worth, to be exact.

This is very similar to the Canucks and Lindholm.

Tho they are likely walking away from Lindholm , they were able to offload Kuzmenko. Otherwise, Canucks would be on the hook for Kuzmenko's 5.5mil AAV this year and would have made it much much harder to go after Guentzel which they are doing so right now.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I'm all for it. Guentzel is exactly who the Canucks need to play alongside Petey and on PP1.

Just gotta figure out a way to dump Mikheyev and his contract

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I might have missed it but are they out on Lindholm now?

Last report was Lindholm rejected a 7x7 offer from Canucks.

I dont think the Canucks want to go any higher, but anything can happen on July 1.

Speculation is though that Lindholm wants to play with top line players but the Canucks like him with Garland and Joshua. Pettersson would have to play wing if he was to play with Lindholm and the Canucks aren't interested in that.

My money is that he is a Bruin by July 1.

Reactions: wintersej and Bond

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Please save Chicago from the timing on that contract. We can even help with Mikheyev.

I think Mikhayev will be an in season trade.

Canucks will probably use the same playbook and go after a top notch player to fill a hole and will attach a 1st and prospect to get that player and get rid of Mikahyev.

Much like Lindholm for Kuzy Bruz and 1st. Where Kuzy had 2 more years, same with Mikh.

There's also a chance that Mikh becomes a very effective and useful player for the Canucks again this season. The injury he sustained usually takes Athletes a full season to recover from before getting back to their normal.

I still think Mikh can be an effective bottom 6 player that PKs and chips in 15-20 goals while providing speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad