GDT: Canucks Training Camp Thread | Sept. 18th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
So we only play 3 games against the OIL this season - once in November and twice in January.

Last year, we started the season in spectacular fashion with an 8-1 home win start, followed by a 4-3 win in Edmonton, and a month later a 6-2 thrash. Had to wait till April for our 4th win.

Losing Demko for the playoffs was cruel.

Reactions: Ozone

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Raty still skating over from Finland. If he'd worked on it harder this offseason he'd be here already. :sarcasm:
He accidentally discovered the northwest passage on his journey

Speaking of Raty, Im very curious about what his new jersey number will be with 20 claimed by Heinen. It seems hes tackling the full run in his career

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tables of Stats

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Agreed. Last year kind of came out of the blue. This year I’m expecting big things.
I think the noticeable change is the quality of the roster going into camp.

Last year: No backup, lots of question marks. It’s why rutherford said the infamous “if everything breaks right”

Juulsen Brisebois on the opening night roster with McWard and Hirose going deep into camp. Joshua was fat and we didn’t know what we’d get.

I would argue that our 4-8D quality hasn’t changed since then but our forward group absolutely has.

I still have my eyes on Hoglander, especially after the Sprong signing. I think we need to see the level up from Hogs happen very early in the season, if not even as early as training camp battles.

If you don’t have confidence, you have to trade him given that he needs an extension. And he’s a good “young roster player” part of a trade package for that blueline upgrade.

Lafferty, Beauvillier, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Podkolzin all gone.

Sherwood, Heinen, DeBrusk, Sprong, Blais coming in externally. All much more clear fits in theory.

I’m confident. Management has shown they can upgrade the blueline in season - let’s see if they can again. The only question mark I have is always who the obvious outgoing would be in salary matching scenarios, and I think that part of it is unclear unless they accrue a ton of space.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I would argue that our 4-8D quality hasn’t changed since then but our forward group absolutely has.
I wonder if they feel alright about the D because of Tocche’s system and they probably will spend the asset after dec to upgrade on it anyways.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Probably the most excited I've ever felt for a Canucks season to start!

Most excited I’ve been to start a season since probably 2011

Last year: No backup, lots of question marks. It’s why rutherford said the infamous “if everything breaks right”

Juulsen Brisebois on the opening night roster with McWard and Hirose going deep into camp. Joshua was fat and we didn’t know what we’d get.

I still have my eyes on Hoglander, especially after the Sprong signing. I think we need to see the level up from Hogs happen very early in the season, if not even as early as training camp battles.

If you don’t have confidence, you have to trade him given that he needs an extension. And he’s a good “young roster player” part of a trade package for that blueline upgrade.

Sherwood, Heinen, DeBrusk, Sprong, Blais coming in externally. All much more clear fits in theory.

I’m confident. Management has shown they can upgrade the blueline in season - let’s see if they can again. The only question mark I have is always who the obvious outgoing would be in salary matching scenarios, and I think that part of it is unclear unless they accrue a ton of space.

I really hope Marcus Pettersson shakes free from Pittsburgh. All the things Allvin is looking for in being a Swede and a Penguin, but in all seriousness is top 4D that can play on the top pai and PKs

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

Wearing my long time Canucks fan hat.... For all of the above- I fear a huge letdown and expect to be disappointed somehow. Fingers crossed, but it just feels like another charlie brown and lucy football moment

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Does anyone have an outlandish prediction that they can justifiably argue why it could happen?

Usually I see the podkolzin 20 goals thing but that’s impossible. Also thought that prediction was stupid every time considering no first unit PP.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if we're calling shots then based on the last 3 games in the playoffs i expect a big year from garland. it felt like he finally found his way through traffic during the oilers series. two guys i recall doing the same thing in a playoff series and never looking back in their careers were cliff ronning in 1992 against la and mike peca in 1995 against the hawks. not so much scoring as suddenly finding a way as small players to consistently have time and space. peca was the best forward on the ice for his last game as a canuck. i was so mad when they traded him.

it depends a little on whether he managed to improve his shot, but i will say 70-80 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad