Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Defense still needs a bit of work, but I doubt he will ever be beyond ok/acceptable in his own end. I think that's why he and Xhekaj worked so well together in the A.

Once he gets to the NHL and starts to play his game he'll need a partner that tells him to slow down.

He tries to be everywhere doing everything and I think that's where his problems come from. He's not sure who to take, or where to go and then makes the bad read/decision and gets burnt.

If he can slow his game down in the defensive zone he will be a really good dman for a long time.

The size, shot, skating and even has some nastiness to his game is great.

I hate Bergevin and wasn't really a fan of the pick at the time because of everything, but the fact that he went with him despite everything is a big balls play imo.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Defense still needs a bit of work, but I doubt he will ever be beyond ok/acceptable in his own end. I think that's why he and Xhekaj worked so well together in the A.

Once he gets to the NHL and starts to play his game he'll need a partner that tells him to slow down.

He tries to be everywhere doing everything and I think that's where his problems come from. He's not sure who to take, or where to go and then makes the bad read/decision and gets burnt.

If he can slow his game down in the defensive zone he will be a really good dman for a long time.

I hate Bergevin and wasn't really a fan of the pick at the time because of everything, but the fact that he went with him despite everything is a big balls play imo.
Would’ve loved Knies instead but Mailloux wasn’t a bad pick.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Captain Obvious here, but I just hope the org and Mailloux can find the perfect balance of allowing him to season in the AHL for as loooong as possible. There is no rush to get him to the show

Reactions: montreal

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Big defensemen like Mailloux take more time than usual. I think he's going to be a good one.

Good call by Bergs yup. This team has his fingerprints all over it.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He'll have to keep things simple in order to achieve great things.

Definitely.

That, and all-around development too.

But mostly on the defensive side of the puck.

It might have been fatigue, lack of focus, or something else, but although Mailloux showed well against Detroit that last game, I also thought he looked a bit "off" against the cycle or defending 1-on-1s late last season in the AHL after a pretty solid patch of all-around play in the middle parts from late-December on.

But I think Mailloux might have it in him to be a top-4 defenseman long-term for him.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
By far, the best partner for Mailman is Guhle. I rather see him with X just for the physical chaos they would bring and the opportunity X would get to use his 107mph canon. But right now, to get Mailman in the lineup, Guhle. A few years later, X and Mailman.

I know everyone wants to see Hutson with Rein, but you need to see reality of other teams targeting Hutson so he needs to play with a tougher guy. I don't think Rein is much of a deterrent, so Savard would be it. Not that Savard is X, but he's the best solution we have...for now.

Right now we have a bit of the odd couple fits. The most natural is Guhle defensive defenseman and stability with Mailmans offense.

Then there's Matheson who may be best with Rein...for now. But he's got to control his offensive wondering a bit.

Reactions: cphabs

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The tools are all there for him to be a really good player. The question will be if he can reach that level.

He's only 21, but he didn't play a lot of games in junior and only 72 games in the AHL. I feel like coaching and development is a little extra important for him.

I don't see him NHL ready quite yet.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
His agility stands out as a bit of a weakness when playing next to Hutson, Reinbacher and Engstrom. It is not so surprising for a guy of his size. It will also be less important in more structured games where dipsy doodles are less frequent, but he could stand to improve that in order to react faster to the game and become a better player. I think he could be a decent #6 today, but that's not what anyone hopes for. He can still improve in the A.

Reactions: Andrei79

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
I definitely see him spending time in the NHL but up & down between Laval. Love the size, shot, and mobility. People here making him sound like he has Komisarek IQ

Reactions: Redux91

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I definitely see him spending time in the NHL but up & down between Laval. Love the size, shot, and mobility. People here making him sound like he has Komisarek IQ
The goal could be to hope he is ready to play if Savard is traded. In the meantime I expect Barron to play and play often this season.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Lol, he have much better hockey IQ than Komi ! Good joke !
Mailloux is becoming an excellent pick at the time. He have very high potential. He's built like a beast and he have some flair with the offensive side.

Reactions: cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
You mean like a fridge in a household full of toddlers that needs a good scrubbing?
I've been there! f***ing seriously! My daughter went off to college this year. I was vacuuming the baseboard heaters before the the cold weather starts... I noticed a goldfish cracker all the way in the corner of one... No one, in my house, has had one in 10 years... I shit you not!

• Haha
Reactions: CHwest and Andrei79

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I think Reinbacher as a more mature game. Will see during the year but it would not suprise me to see him in MTL sometime this year.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Big defensemen like Mailloux take more time than usual. I think he's going to be a good one.

Good call by Bergs yup. This team has his fingerprints all over it.
BERGEVIN.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad