GDT: Canucks Training Camp Thread | FINISHED

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I've never heard of a treatment protocol for tendonitis that did not involve significant amount of rest.

This is also the first time I hear about Petey suffering a tendon tear.
Depends who you ask and the level of imaging - tendons can have microtears that can contribute to inflammation and can simultaneously have inflammation without tears. I was just referencing some of the terminology in one of the reviews.

Significant rest for you is different than an elite athlete. Additionally, tendonitis can have various grades of severity. Some rest is fine during an acute flare up but that's often managed with lower intensity types of exercises.

Look at any tendonitis protocol, except tennis elbow, and isometric/eccentric loads are introduced very early on. It's very patient specific based on their respective load tolerance - again, this will differ between an elite athlete and the layman.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Depends who you ask and the level of imaging - tendons can have microtears that can contribute to inflammation and can simultaneously have inflammation without tears. I was just referencing some of the terminology in one of the reviews.

Significant rest for you is different than an elite athlete. Additionally, tendonitis can have various grades of severity. Some rest is fine during an acute flare up but that's often managed with lower intensity types of exercises.

Look at any tendonitis protocol, except tennis elbow, and isometric/eccentric loads are introduced very early on. It's very patient specific based on their respective load tolerance - again, this will differ between an elite athlete and the layman.
Sounds like rest is involved in all these cases.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I would imagine with his pedigree he has takers.
Pedigree? he was a 6th round pick who has put up mediocre stats in 100 pro games in NA.....has no leverage and asking for a trade when a proven NHL backup just signed for less than he is making this season would be criminally short sighted/stupid.

Reactions: DL44

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Sounds like rest is involved in all these cases.
what. I mean, yeah sure. But not complete rest or significant rest as you called it. Of course if an injury is acute, you probably shouldn't load the f*** out of the respective tissue. The days the team didn't play, Petey was likely getting enough rest to reduce the accumulated load on his tendon.

I'm unsure what you are trying to get out of this conversation right now. I've provided sources as well as given you my own respective knowledge as a relative expert in this field. Are you arguing that Petey should've played less and taken some time off from hockey? I agree in retrospect that he should have but like I said before, there are dozens of confounding and contextual factors that we simply don't have access to that led the medical and rehab team giving Petey the clearance to play. If this was something more clearcut like an ACL strain in which protocols are very much standardized, then I'd be with you saying a complete shut down would be necessary. But it's a tendonitis and like I explained above, it's incredibly patient specific and follows more of a gradient in rehab.

Reactions: Vector

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
what. I mean, yeah sure. But not complete rest or significant rest as you called it. Of course if an injury is acute, you probably shouldn't load the f*** out of the respective tissue. The days the team didn't play, Petey was likely getting enough rest to reduce the accumulated load on his tendon.

I'm unsure what you are trying to get out of this conversation right now. I've provided sources as well as given you my own respective knowledge as a relative expert in this field. Are you arguing that Petey should've played less and taken some time off from hockey? I agree in retrospect that he should have but like I said before, there are dozens of confounding and contextual factors that we simply don't have access to that led the medical and rehab team giving Petey the clearance to play. If this was something more clearcut like an ACL strain in which protocols are very much standardized, then I'd be with you saying a complete shut down would be necessary. But it's a tendonitis and like I explained above, it's incredibly patient specific and follows more of a gradient in rehab.
You made a very broad statement about rest and tendonitis.

From what I now gather is that, you meant that the problem wont go away with rest alone. This is fair.

I work with a team that rehabs injured pro athletes here in Finland and this was the first time I ever hear anyone say that tendonitis doesn't heal with rest.

Rest is key. Its a strain injury and if you dont limit said strain for a time, the tendon wont get to heal.

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Ooh physio controversy. Let’s hear your professional opinions on the popliteus muscle @PuckMunchkin and @Soups On ….

When it comes to tendonitis and tendinopathies, prevailing sentiment has changed in the last number of years led by the NBA and the number of Knee and Ankle issues they have.

Rest, especially too much rest is seen as a bad thing, allowing scar tissue to build up may allow pain and limited mobility relief, but greatly effects performance of the tendon and region in the long run.

The soonest your pain tolerance allows, training the tendon progressively at full range of motion may have temporary pain, but it limits scar tissue and greatly strengthens the tendon and region in the long term.

This is purely from a high end athlete perspective. General best practice for public is rest, rest, rest. But this no longer applies for athletes like EP. No pain, no gain, Petey.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Ooh physio controversy. Let’s hear your professional opinions on the popliteus muscle @PuckMunchkin and @Soups On ….

As an expert on the field as of 5 minutes ago. I have found the timetable for recovery that I will now believe 100%.

1727114653137.png

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
When it comes to tendonitis and tendinopathies, prevailing sentiment has changed in the last number of years led by the NBA and the number of Knee and Ankle issues they have.

Rest, especially too much rest is seen as a bad thing, allowing scar tissue to build up may allow pain and limited mobility relief, but greatly effects performance of the tendon and region in the long run.

The soonest your pain tolerance allows, training the tendon progressively at full range of motion may have temporary pain, but it limits scar tissue and greatly strengthens the tendon and region in the long term.

This is purely from a high end athlete perspective. General best practice for public is rest, rest, rest. But this no longer applies for athletes like EP. No pain, no gain, Petey.
This sounds really solid to me.

Just another thought... high end athletes ability to recover, from injury or just heavy work load can honestly be pretty bizarre to witness.

I can have pain in my neck for weeks if I turn my head too fast to back up my KIA.

They can get folded in half against the boards and be sore for a few days but good to go the next.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This sounds really solid to me.

Just another thought... high end athletes ability to recover, from injury or just heavy work load can honestly be pretty bizarre to witness.

I can have pain in my neck for weeks if I turn my head too fast to back up my KIA.

They can get folded in half against the boards and be sore for a few days but good to go the next.

Brent Sopel once through-out his back picking up a cracker off the floor. Athletes, they're just like us...sometimes!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad