Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
When they signed a guy like Sprong for league minimum, the writing was on the wall for Podz to be on the outs as he was making more money as a fringe 13/14 forward and can’t be sent to Abby without being exposed to waivers.
Last year we got Lafferty for a fifth and Zaddy for a third, getting a fourth for Podz when he’s not even an NHL regular is decent value.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
When they signed a guy like Sprong for league minimum, the writing was on the wall for Podz to be on the outs as he was making more money as a fringe 13/14 forward and can’t be sent to Abby without being exposed to waivers.
Last year we got Lafferty for a fifth and Zaddy for a third, getting a fourth for Podz when he’s not even an NHL regular is decent value.

If that is the case, then i rather have us not signing Sprong, selling podkolzin when his stock is low is just stupid. Don't forget Sprong is basically a fourth liner who can play in the powerplay. Podkolzin has the potential to be so much more. He just needs to play with confidence, and that would come with experience.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Even still, if we had given up on those three guys when they were still worth something, we'd have given ourselves opportunities to correct the mistake.

Bad draft picks are an inevitability, but the ability to recognize your mistake and course correct rather than continuously investing into a sunk cost in my opinion is a more important skill.

Like Lekkerimaki? Should we have traded him for a late second or third?

You would probably miss out pretty some good players like that. A lot of guys take a year or three to evolve. Pods also had a good first season. We may have gotten a second at that point but it would have been an odd trade for a building team.

I really liked Pods and tried to support the pick even though I was Boldy all the way. This is likely a good move though. He is not going to be playing ahead of all our new players. I don't really care that he went to Edmonton either. You make the trade for what you're getting, not worrying about the other team.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Not a fan of this move as I think Podkolzin will be a Trenin type, physical 3rd or 4th line winger. Will probably come back to hurt the Canucks, especially playing for the Oilers as I'm sure he'll be up there in hits. The 4th is better than losing him on waivers but I'd have rather let PDG go than lose Podkolzin. There must be more to this so I'll reserve judgement until I see the opening night roster. I imagine they'll use the cap space on another dman.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It's difficult to watch so many high draft picks completely flame out, Benning picks or not. I can't think of a time where the Canucks drafted so high consistently, and yet the results were generally as bad as ever. My god those were dark years.
Drafting Quintin Hughes at number eight was the most honest thing that fat liar ever did here. He didn't try and outsmart the situation. He just did the obvious thing.

From the bottom of my heart, a legitimate Thank You, Jim.

Any positive sentiment here pertains only to the selection of Quintin.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Becoming waiver eligible before you've established yourself as a worthy everyday NHLer is a kiss of death.

The third top 10 pick by Benning that was completely duffed, and unfortunately there isn't a Benning calibre GM in the league ready to pay 2nds and 3rds for about to be waiver eligible players (Vey, Pouliout, Clendening, Pedan, etc.)

Like others have mentioned, would have preferred to not see him in EDM as I cannot cheer for him to turn it around now.

Exactly - I don't necessarily love this trade, because I don't think there was a huge risk that Pod even gets picked up off waivers at training camp when many similar players are being pushed through. So while I don't see a huge upside to the player, I don't know why they'd do this and give Edmonton flexibility to walk from the Holloway offersheet or make another move. Trading the guy after giving him a two year extension does make sense though... that's gotta be a huge part of the value appeal for him as an asset. If the Oilers could've just done that with Dylan Holloway they wouldn't be in this position lmao.

The flipside is that this is an anti-thesis of a Jim Benning trade from the Canucks perspective. Mid-round pick for a waiver eligible fringe 23-year old with high pedigree that cannot put it together. It's a textbook Benning move for the Oilers - age-gap acquisition to fill the hole of fumbling other young assets due to incompetence and mismanagement.

Maybe this is a sign Bowman is about to add local boy Jimbo to his front office. :naughty:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Don't care too much about pod but helping the oilers out is f***ing stupid
I definitely understand the sentiment but it doesn't really help edm at all, pod will be a healthy scratch before long, and better player will be on waviers at start of season. We get an earlish fourth instead of worse or nothing, save 2M real dollars and contract slot over two years, and hopefully are one of the teams snagging an upgrade off waivers.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Cam Neely scored 42 goals in 69 games and was a 2nd Team AS at the same age that Podkolzin was last year.
Michael Grabner Part 2.

f***ing Podkolzin will score 34 goals next year.

Really hope that 4th is better than Keith Ballard.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Michael Grabner Part 2.

Grabner at age 20 scored 30 goals in 66 games in the AHL. Podkolzin at age 22 last season scored 15 in 44.

It's weird we traded him to Edmonton but otherwise he's heading to waivers and the chances of him being anything more than what you can sign for a year in UFA, like Sprong, are minuscule at this point.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So do we actually save 1m in cap, or was that always going to happen regardless if he missed making the team and put on waivers?

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Michael Grabner Part 2.

no, he isn't Grabner either. Grabner was also a prolific goal scorer in the AHL.

Podkolzin hasn't shown any indication of being anybody in any level he's played at.

Don't care too much about pod but helping the oilers out is f***ing stupid
it's far more likely they've helped us.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I think this is a precursor to something else that is coming... specifically a Poolman trade perhaps?

Anyone feel like doing the math. Assuming we get rid of Poolmans contract, how much cap space to we have to play with at the trade deadline.

If we're able to package this 4th with the Poolman contract and bring in a big ticket piece with the saved cap space over that time, we'll be looking back at this as a genius move.

And lets be honest, if we kept him and he got claimed in waivers, everyone here would be saying "WTF... WE COULDN'T EVEN GET A 4th FOR HIM??? WTF MAN! Terrible Asset management!!! Fire Allvin!!!"

I'm going to try to answer my own question. The Canucks now have 23 players on the roster (Inc Poolman). If they trade Poolman this frees up 2.5m. Assuming they sign someone to replace him on the 23 man roster or bring someone up to the roster this leaves them with around 2m in cap space.

Accrued over the coarse of the season, this should be roughly 8m in cap space. Assuming they also remove someone from the roster in trades, this likely means they can bring in someone worth upwards of 9m as a rental.

If this is Allvin's endgame and he pulls it off, this trade will be looked at as a pretty shrewd move if we bring in a true #2 defender or first line winger.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
no, he isn't Grabner either. Grabner was also a prolific goal scorer in the AHL.

Podkolzin hasn't shown any indication of being anybody in any level he's played at.

it's far more likely they've helped us.
Grabner at age 20 scored 30 goals in 66 games in the AHL. Podkolzin at age 22 last season scored 15 in 44.

It's weird we traded him to Edmonton but otherwise he's heading to waivers and the chances of him being anything more than what you can sign for a year in UFA, like Sprong, are minuscule at this point.

Fine...he's the next Michael Carcone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes, Petterson, Boeser? I'm far from a Benning supporter, but no need to dump on the previous management one of the few things they did alright on.

Clearing picks that don't work is always something the new management always does. Benning cleared out a lot of the Gillis picks in his first few years.

Also fired our Russian scout Chibisov. I believe we still own Kravtsov right's but it's unlikely he'll ever come back with the Canucks.

There's a reason why NHL teams that fail to make the Stanley Cup playoffs, are placed in a draft lottery to determine the first order of the top-15 players selected. They suck.....and their reward is usually a top-10 draft pick.

So if you're the Canucks drafting 10th overall in 2019, you simply have to find a guy who can make your lineup. Not a guy like Podkolzin, who a little over four years later is moved for a fourth round draft pick.

But so many picks in the Benning era went down the same depressing path. Fortunately the scouts that made these kinds of draft selections are long gone.

Reactions: BimJenning and quat

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Good trade, ideally it was outside of the division but oh well. Pod seems like a good character guy but I don’t think he has the mental resilience and confidence to make this team. It’s not like he was dominating the AHL either.

Not really sure I buy all the “this is part of another move to come” talk. Management knew he was in tough to make this roster after bringing in 4 nhl wingers this summer while only losing Mikheyev and Lafferty on the wing.

The top 12 feels pretty set with Aman as 13th forward, barring injuries or an impressive camp from Sasson or Bains.

Reactions: BimJenning

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So do we actually save 1m in cap, or was that always going to happen regardless if he missed making the team and put on waivers?

If they go with a 22/23 roster then, yes. Other wise they went from 0.16m under the cap to 0.19m.

The actual impetus in the trade as getting a 4th they can use, freeing up a contract spot, and creating roster competition between PDG, Aman, Bains, Karlsson, Raty, and Sasson.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Prior to the trade, we would have needed to send Aman down waivers to remain cap compliant. With Podkolzin now traded, Aman can be included in the 23 man roster, if he makes the team obviously. So we have about $190k in cap space. If you send Aman down anyway, we have just over $1M in cap space with a 22 man roster.

If Aman and Poolman are gone/sent down (assuming you clear Poolman’s $2.5M without taking back any cap), we can have as much as $2.5-3.5M in cap space depending on if you run a 22 or 23 man roster. Would result in crazy amounts of cap at the TDL from accrual ($8-10M+) assuming no one goes on LTIR/trades/player movement which we will likely see.

I’m positively certain we see Poolman moved, probably within the next 2-3 weeks.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Prior to the trade, we would have needed to send Aman down waivers to remain cap compliant. With Podkolzin now traded, Aman can be included in the 23 man roster, if he makes the team obviously. So we have about $190k in cap space. If you send Aman down anyway, we have just over $1M in cap space.

If Aman and Poolman are gone/sent down (assuming you clear Poolman’s $2.5M without taking back any cap), we can have as much as $2.5-3.5M in cap space depending on who’s on the roster. Would result in crazy amounts of cap at the TDL from accrual ($8-10M+) assuming no one goes on LTIR/trades/player movement which we will likely see.

I’m positively certain we see Poolman moved, probably within the next 2-3 weeks.

It also sounds like it may have to do with contract slots:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad