Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Damn this sucks to hear.

I certainly thought he was in a squeeze position and the way he ended the season wasn't going to help him but was a fan of the person and his tools and thought he could become a decent btm 6 guy and provide toughness in our lineup.

Still think he can become a useful NHLer.

Don't like that he went to Edmonton but getting picks to help our quest for a top4 D is probably a good idea if he was going on waivers.

Reactions: quat

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Inevitable we’d lose him, outside looking in for a while. Better to get something for him rather than nothing on waivers.

Reactions: David71

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The last of the Russians. The writing was on the wall, just wasn’t good enough.
First thought I had. And so ends the Russian experiment. Old Cherry will have a big smile on his face.

Apparent the team gave up on Podz at this point. But only getting a 4th is a shock. Really got Edmonton over a barrel and at least could have seemingly got the third Blues will have to give the Oilers for Holloway. (if offer sheet isn't matched)

I guess Podz might have been taken on waivers but still, given the situation, only getting a fourth and trading him to a rival like the Oilers appears, on the surface, to be a mistake.

Really waiting to hear a good rationale from the team for this deal. And God help us if Podkolzin gets it together in Edmonton.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Sounds about right what Podkolzin's worth. If we're being real, he's not done anything notable since being drafted and you're just going to get the same results next year too, Oilers included. This is not unlike acquiring Sven Baertchi from the Flames for the Oilers.

The real question is what the Canucks plan on doing with the cap space. Who is the late season bargain they're adding. Justin Schultz?

Yeah. It is a bit odd, why extend him just to trade him? I'm disappointed, I always liked the pick and was hoping he'd make it as a player here.
They got a 4th for him instead of losing him for nothing, lol. That's why, there was some value to be mined there are you saw about what the conversion rate was worth in draft picks.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
i am surprised at this. he got the pouliot fourth mid-summer. a full punt after last season.

i thought he'd get one more camp. i wonder if they are dissatisfied with his offseason training approach. or maybe he did or said something that makes him oiler worthy.
You have to assume this otherwise their sorting hat would not have accepted him. Major underlying character issues that have yet to be divulged.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
My gawd the previous regime just sucked at drafting players. So Podkolzin is gone; and it's likely that the last few drafts of the Benning era, Jett Woo and Danila Klimovich, will soon follow.

You don't trade a former first round, top-10 pick like Podkiolzin to a division rival, unless you're convinced he doesn't have a chance to make your club in training camp and you'll lose him on waivers. So I guess a fourth rounder is better than nothing.

But does open the door, at least a crack, for someone like Bains, Raty, Karlsson or even Lekkerimaki to stick with the big club.

Hughes, Petterson, Boeser? I'm far from a Benning supporter, but no need to dump on the previous management one of the few things they did alright on.

Clearing picks that don't work is always something the new management always does. Benning cleared out a lot of the Gillis picks in his first few years.

Russians out
kuz
mik
zadorov
pod

Also fired our Russian scout Chibisov. I believe we still own Kravtsov right's but it's unlikely he'll ever come back with the Canucks.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I thought this may happen given the quantity of wingers we signed in free agency.

Barring a miracle, there’s no top six upside left there. And maybe the org feels stronger about Raty, Karlsson, PDG, Bains (i wouldn’t). Or at least enough to think it’s worth taking the 4th given the likelihood he’s on waivers.

Numbers game so probably the right move. Really hope he figures it out

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This doesn't seem like something they needed to do right now and could have waited to see how he looked at camp. I think this is a bad move

If they do that, then the market is flooded with the usual waiver players and cheap options that always shake loose at that time of year.

Podkolzin was always going to be in tight to make the team, and unlikely to force his way into the kind of ice time he'd need to make himself worth a probably high 4th rounder more than any of the other players who will now get the spot instead.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Becoming waiver eligible before you've established yourself as a worthy everyday NHLer is a kiss of death.

The third top 10 pick by Benning that was completely duffed, and unfortunately there isn't a Benning calibre GM in the league ready to pay 2nds and 3rds for about to be waiver eligible players (Vey, Pouliout, Clendening, Pedan, etc.)

Like others have mentioned, would have preferred to not see him in EDM as I cannot cheer for him to turn it around now.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Can't say that I am thrilled with Podkolzin being traded to our division rivals, especially after the playoffs. Can't stand the Oilers. I am not surprised that Podkolzin got traded, but I figured he could of atleast fetched a 3rd rounder. I really liked Pods but he really came to a stand still on his development. I want to see him succeed, just not with the Oilers.

Honestly I am not thrilled with the trade, especially now that Mike Grier helped out the Oilers bigtime by trading for Ceci for next to nothing.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I think this is a precursor to something else that is coming... specifically a Poolman trade perhaps?

Anyone feel like doing the math. Assuming we get rid of Poolmans contract, how much cap space to we have to play with at the trade deadline.

If we're able to package this 4th with the Poolman contract and bring in a big ticket piece with the saved cap space over that time, we'll be looking back at this as a genius move.

And lets be honest, if we kept him and he got claimed in waivers, everyone here would be saying "WTF... WE COULDN'T EVEN GET A 4th FOR HIM??? WTF MAN! Terrible Asset management!!! Fire Allvin!!!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad