Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
i mean i didn't think he was gonna be great but this has to be a precursor to a bigger move...right?

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Clears up $1 mill in cap, which Edmonton takes while needing to clear cap to match offers sheets. Must mean they are letting both walk.

Weird day to pull the trigger on this trade, something bigger happening? Maybe, but probably not.

Reactions: Indiana and tyhee

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
This is probably not a precursor - he likely knew and might’ve been told he was on the outside looking in already, and this was what was best for his career. Likely PA/JR trading him while he has value instead of waiting until he is cut and is picked up for free

Sad because I really really like the kid but he couldn’t really ever get out of his head and put it all together

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Disappointing they couldn't find another landing spot for him, but I suppose it is pretty clear what Management thinks of his game at this point.

I think he still has a chance to carve out a fourth line role and Edmonton is probably a good spot for him to do that.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Cross posting from what I said in the trade forum:

I was bullish on Podkolzin.

He doesn't look like he's likely got top 6 chops at this point, unless he's got perfect chemistry with someone.
But his off puck hockey sense, his small space plays (chipping it to a teammate in space, tying a guy up so his teammate can get it), his tenacity, and his raw tools of size, speed, and shot make me feel like he's still got potential to be a useful player.

With that said, I looked at our roster and really couldn't see where he would fit and wondered what would happen. I guess now I know.

It's probably not a bad move in terms of the other players we have. Kiefer Sherwood, Nils Hoglander, even Arshdeep Bains have shown more NHL potential in the last couple of years.

Podkolzin seems to have really mercurial confidence and when he's low confidence it seems like he processes the game really slowly. If he can't move past that, he's a 4th line/scratch tweener. But it's possible the Oilers have gotten a decent replacement for what Holloway has shown so far (Holloway has higher potential at this point one would think).

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Well that's surprising, must be more coming or just relieving the chance he hits waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad