Rumor: Canucks Targeting Jake Guentzel

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

In fact, Ben Kuzma (Vancouver Province) wrote in an article that the Canucks are aggressive in the Guentzel file and that the team is currently looking to acquire his rights from Carolina.

Frank Corrado also talks about it. Lindholm is obviously not resigning in Vancouver so time to get Pettersson a winger.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
And there was talks about them going after him at the deadline with trading Lindholm off, so there's not really a surprise they're interested.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They should have targeted him at the TDL. Not that Lindholm wasn't a good target but I think Jake gave them more of what they needed.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
There were also reports at the trade deadline that Vancouver was one of , if not the top destination preference for Guentzel to be traded to so it makes sense.

The dots can easily be connected with Rutherford/Allvin/Tochett having a history with Geuntzel.

This would be a game breaker for the Canucks imo.

Pettersson has a 100 point season in his belt with linemates being players like Hoglander, Mikhayev, Beuvaullier, Kuzmenko, Lafferty...lmao.

Petey-JG would be a lethal combo.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
They should have targeted him at the TDL. Not that Lindholm wasn't a good target but I think Jake gave them more of what they needed.

According to reports they did but Pitt preferred young prospects as the return which Van isnt flushed with. Pitt also wanted a roster player which highly likely would have been Hoglander. Canucks probably just saw it as asset management and knew they can go after JG for free this off-season.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some back room conversation, 3rd party tampering kind of thing going on already that has let both sides know each others interest in partnering up.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don’t think the price was right, and I think they’d made the Lindholm deal before it was clear Guentzel was on the market, which was why there was some reports they tried moving Lindholm to go after Guentzel

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
According to reports they did but Pitt preferred young prospects as the return which Van isnt flushed with. Pitt also wanted a roster player which highly likely would have been Hoglander. Canucks probably just saw it as asset management and knew they can go after JG for free this off-season.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some back room conversation, 3rd party tampering kind of thing going on already that has let both sides know each others interest in partnering up.
Lekkerimaki is all it would have taken I imagine.
I don’t think the price was right, and I think they’d made the Lindholm deal before it was clear Guentzel was on the market.
That's fair and likely true. The Lindholm trade was fairly early.

Reactions: Lustaf

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

I think Pit would have locked him up long term if thats all it took.

Big time. Someone is gonna give a 30 year old winger like $9M+ until he's 37. Makings of an ugly, ugly contract.

Even a 4-5 year deal isn't going to be great.

Who cares as long as they can perform and bring in some sort of success during the contract.

Anyone today in Florida complaining that 35 yr old Bobrovsky is making 10mil a year?

Any peep of complaint this season from Canuck fans that JT Miller is making 8mil a year now?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This would be a good signing for the Canucks. There are/were rumors about him signing in Chicago but he’s too old IMO and doesn’t match the rebuild timeline. On a team trying to compete the next 3-5 years I think he’d be an awesome addition.

The Penguins don’t want him back or what??

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Vancouver would be far better off giving Jake 9m per than splitting 9m between Zadorov and Joshua.

I think the Canucks have set aside like 14-15mil. for 2 big contracts. It will either be:

1.Hronek-Lindholm
2. Guentzel- Tanev or Tanev like player and contract

I personally prefer option 2, as it would also allow them to trade Hronek and retain assets from that trade.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Pit would have locked him up long term if thats all it took.

Who cares as long as they can perform and bring in some sort of success during the contract.

Anyone today in Florida complaining that 35 yr old Bobrovsky is making 10mil a year?

Any peep of complaint this season from Canuck fans that JT Miller is making 8mil a year now?

JT Miller is a 100 point #1C. Guentzel isn't even remotely close to that level of player and he's going to be making more money for longer.

Bobrovsky was damn near bought out 2 years ago.

Reactions: VaporTrail

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
JT Miller is a 100 point #1C. Guentzel isn't even remotely close to that level of player and he's going to be making more money for longer.

Bobrovsky was damn near bought out 2 years ago.

My point is Canuck nation hated it when Miller was signed to an 8yr contract that will take him to his Age 36 yr.

Florida hated the Bobrovsky contract a couple of years ago.

Edmonton hates the Nurse contract, etc..

Non of that matter if any of those teams wins the cup. Almost each cup winning team will have some sort of bad contract....

Giving Guentzel who is a top 5 winger in the game a big contract is a gamble id take on anyday.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Feel like Jake is this year's "You're gonna regret it" signing.

No way, dude is a legitimately great player. His hockey IQ is off the charts and he should age extremely well due to that.

He’s never been a guy with crazy good skills, it’s his hockey IQ that has made him an elite winger.

Vancouver would be far better off giving Jake 9m per than splitting 9m between Zadorov and Joshua.

100% this. If signing Guentzel means they won’t be giving Zadorov a heinously bad contract, it makes signing Guentzel even more obvious.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
This would be a good signing for the Canucks. There are/were rumors about him signing in Chicago but he’s too old IMO and doesn’t match the rebuild timeline. On a team trying to compete the next 3-5 years I think he’d be an awesome addition.

The Penguins don’t want him back or what??

Chicago would be smart to offer JG something like 3 yrs at 14.5 mil AAV, That might entice JG as he would still have some runway to sign another big UFA contract when he is 32 yrs old.

Chicago would massively improve Bedards development having JG beside him for the next 3 years.

Then in 3 years, Chicago can flip JG for a 1st round pick return at the deadline.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad