PTO: Canucks Sign Tuomo Ruutu and James Sheppard to PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Vancouver's entire first line is at the World Cup so it makes sense that they added a few veteran bodies to meet the preseason requirements.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Funny story about Ruutu. When he was doing his draft interviews one team asked if he would be disappointed to drop in the draft. Being honest, he said it wouldn't bother him. The interviewer didn't believe him, and got a bit flustered. So he said 'surely you would be disappointed if you were drafted 30th!' Being funny, he said 'I'd be thrilled! I would join the cup champions.'

I remember when he was still starting out in Chicago, I thought that Tuomo should be played at center. It would have protected him a bit more from his over zealous style, keep him out of some of the harder board battles. I'm pretty sure he played in the middle in international play, where he excelled. But at this point he isn't an NHL'er any more. Bummer, because I always liked the guy.

IIRC, Tuomo never played center for Finland as an adult. He was Mikko Koivu's loyal sidekick. It's a wonder the guy's even lasted this long TBH, as he considered retiring due to his injuries already nearly a decade ago. He's an absolutely fantastic guy to have in your locker room, but yeah, he's pretty much done as far as high level hockey goes.

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
Didn't Sheppard have a few injuries that set his career back a bit as well, albeit earlier than Ruutu's? What are the chances either gets a contract? I can imagine they are just in camp because Sedins/Eriksson are in WCH

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
D.Sedin, H.Sedin, L.Eriksson, J.Hansen, J.Markstrom, L.Sbisa are all at the WCOH.

That's our:

1LW
1C
1RW
2RW
2G
6D

So we brought in a C,LW and a RW along with a G to fill in as bodies at camp. IF one of them performs well, then MAYBE they sign him. I don't think its anything more than that.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Ruutu has been plagued with injuries. I honestly don't see him cracking the roster UNLESS he has finally gotten rid of all injuries that might have hampered him (I don't know if he has such but I wouldn't be surprised). If his game is anything similar to last season he is done in the NHL.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
IIRC, Tuomo never played center for Finland as an adult. He was Mikko Koivu's loyal sidekick. It's a wonder the guy's even lasted this long TBH, as he considered retiring due to his injuries already nearly a decade ago. He's an absolutely fantastic guy to have in your locker room, but yeah, he's pretty much done as far as high level hockey goes.

You may be right, I sure don't have a perfect memory. But I was pretty sure he played C at some tournament or another. Hard to find now when I don't even know what event or what year. But I did find this:

link
“We traded a great player in Andrew Ladd for him. At the time we made the trade, we were really short on centers. We were trying to get a center iceman,†said Canes President and General Manager Jim Rutherford. “The fact that Ruutu can play all three forward positions, that’s ultimately why we made the decision to make the deal.â€

The versatility in Ruutu’s ability to play center ice or either wing was and continues to be a factor in what makes him a valuable asset.

Anyway, it's pretty irrelevant now. Good guy, good player, always brought it for Finland. But his NHL career is probably done.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Ruutu has been plagued with injuries. I honestly don't see him cracking the roster UNLESS he has finally gotten rid of all injuries that might have hampered him (I don't know if he has such but I wouldn't be surprised). If his game is anything similar to last season he is done in the NHL.

He used to have pretty good speed, but I think a lot of his injuries were lower-body, and that's really slowed him down, especially the knees. Unfortunate because he had a hell of a lot of promise. Can only recover to a point.

Granted, I hope the best for him. He was a player I always liked.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Fun fact about Ruutu. He was contemplating retirement ten years ago when he was with the Blackhawks. His injuries bothered him that much.

And now here he is, 33 yr old going for a PTO.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
three-stoogescopy.jpg

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Ruutu had the same amount of points as Ovy and Crosby combined at the Socchi olympics (5 points in 6 games). He is seriously underrated here.

On a serious note, he is done which is a shame. Always liked him and his style of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad