Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign RD Vincent Desharnais 2-Year, $2M AAV Contract

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Forbort was equally, if not worse than Desharnais, but we have zero depth at LHD to push Forbort out of the lineup.

At least the vision was there with Desharnais, with Forbort, only played half the games possible the last 2 years, whether he was injured or healthy scratched.

Which comes to the 2nd point, Forbort was scratched for most of the playoffs, the most important time of the year. And he’s just our 5th D…

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Which comes to the 2nd point, Forbort was scratched for most of the playoffs, the most important time of the year. And he’s just our 5th D…

Forbort was coming off what was suppose to be season-ending surgeries last season. He was probably only scratched for a game or two due to ineffectiveness. Regardless it's not an indictment one way or another given that he was coming off surgery and rushed back.

Reactions: Brookbank

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Honestly are Forbort and Desharnais any better than Juulsen or Friedman? It's honestly hilarious how bad they are. Really missing Ian Cole right now, who has looked FANTASTIC in Utah. The fact that Forbort and Desharnais make more than Cole combined is PA'S first head scratcher.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Honestly are Forbort and Desharnais any better than Juulsen or Friedman? It's honestly hilarious how bad they are. Really missing Ian Cole right now, who has looked FANTASTIC in Utah. The fact that Forbort and Desharnais make more than Cole combined is PA'S first head scratcher.

I think the jury is still out but I think ultimately yes.

Forbort is veteran NHL player who has some mileage on him. Certainly in his prime he's proven to be better than Juulsen and Friedman. Absent further age and injury-related the odds are he's better.

Desharnais I can't really say. Allvin is obviously betting that he's better given the contract that was handed out to him.

The Canucks did try to re-sign Cole but we obviously didn't offer him the $3M he wanted and he got even more from Utah. And speaking of Cole, I think he might have carried Juulsen a bit. It'll be interesting to see how Juulsen plays this season away from Cole.

Friedman I think is at a disadvantage given he doesn't PK and Juulsen played a lot last season.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I think the jury is still out but I think ultimately yes.

Forbort is veteran NHL player who has some mileage on him. Certainly in his prime he's proven to be better than Juulsen and Friedman. Absent further age and injury-related the odds are he's better.

Desharnais I can't really say. Allvin is obviously betting that he's better given the contract that was handed out to him.

The Canucks did try to re-sign Cole but we obviously didn't offer him the $3M he wanted and he got even more from Utah. And speaking of Cole, I think he might have carried Juulsen a bit. It'll be interesting to see how Juulsen plays this season away from Cole.

Friedman I think is at a disadvantage given he doesn't PK and Juulsen played a lot last season.

friedman is definitely frozen out because if he were in the lineup they'd have to lean on soucy to kill penalties given hughes isn't very good at it and you don't want your top guy being your first up pk guy. soucy is an okay pker but he's definitely not good

forbort tho was a miscalculation on allvin's part imo. if they had a more dependable/experienced guy to play with him on the bottom pairing you could maybe get away with it but the prospect of forbort/desharnais or forbort/myers is horrific

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
forbort tho was a miscalculation on allvin's part imo. if they had a more dependable/experienced guy to play with him on the bottom pairing you could maybe get away with it but the prospect of forbort/desharnais or forbort/myers is horrific

I don't disagree with your assessment here, but I'm not sure what you mean by dependable/experienced guy to play with Forbort. Myers is experienced (dependability can be argued). Our other RD options are suppose to be dependable (albeit limited). While NHL games experience might be somewhat lacking, I wouldn't say Desharnais/Juulsen/Friedman are inexperienced at this point.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
There was no coming back for Cole between the 3M cap hit and his series against Edmonton. Just the kind of thing a player needs a fresh start after

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I don't disagree with your assessment here, but I'm not sure what you mean by dependable/experienced guy to play with Forbort. Myers is experienced (dependability can be argued). Our other RD options are suppose to be dependable (albeit limited). While NHL games experience might be somewhat lacking, I wouldn't say Desharnais/Juulsen/Friedman are inexperienced at this point.

i just mean myers is also a guy who needs a steady partner and needs to be sheltered a bit. playing two of those guys together is a recipe for disaster

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Desharnais with his second straight healthy scratch. Is the year that the usual off-season UFA signings on the blueline finally blow up on their faces?

You can plug the blueline holes with free agent signings for only so long.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Desharnais with his second straight healthy scratch. Is the year that the usual off-season UFA signings on the blueline finally blow up on their faces?

You can plug the blueline holes with free agent signings for only so long.

Dumb gamble IMO.

For what they paid Desharnais and Forbort (combined $3.5 million in cap space), they could have signed:

Jokiharju - $3.1 million (RHD)
Walker - $3.6 million (RHD)
Cole - $3.1 million
Dumba - $3.75 million(RHD)
Grzelcyk - $2.75 million
Hakanpaa - $1.5 million (RHD)

ANYONE of those guys would have been better than the duo of Desharnais and Forbort for $3.5 million. ANY of those guys are regular NHL'ers, which is more than what you can call Forbort and Desharnais. It was dumb then and dumb now. PA has been AMAZING, but those 2 moves where head scratchers to me. I'd rather have 1 average player for an average cap hit, rather than 2 below average players for small cap hits.

In hindsight if you know Demko is injured you sign a guy like Hakanpaa, who is an everyday NHL'er and can PK, and put the rest in a goaltender who can bail you out from time to time (Cam Talbot @ $2.5 million).

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Should have brought Zadorov back......signing Forbort and Desharnais smacked of 'desperation' after they lost big Z's size and truculence.

I'd have rather seen Zadorov paired with somebody from Abbotsford making somewhere around the league minimum, rather than the depth defenders they're trotting out there right now.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i just mean myers is also a guy who needs a steady partner and needs to be sheltered a bit. playing two of those guys together is a recipe for disaster

I see what you mean there and I don't disagree conceptually. We've seen Myers play like a top 4 Dman before and that was when he was playing with Edler, OEL (OEL's first season), and last season. Myers in his younger days wasn't a first pairing defenseman. As we see last season, he can be a solid 2nd pairing defenseman but he's not a plug and play defenseman who can anchor a 2nd pairing. At the age of 34, that's also a big ask. Forbort is simply not a top 4 Dman. Myers did have some success alongside Soucy last season and I do think the pairing can work but Soucy hasn't put together a full season logging 2nd pair minutes. Combine with a 3rd pairing which isn't playing well and things can fall apart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad