Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign RD Vincent Desharnais 2-Year, $2M AAV Contract

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wonder if Edmonton actually tried to re-sign this guy.
The writing was on the wall, after Philip Broberg's breakout performance in the last couple of playoff rounds. Broberg was a former first round pick of the Oilers; and they always get opportunity after opportunity to crack the lineup.

But you can't discount the playoff experience of a guy like Desharnais. I've sure the Canucks watched him closely during their seven-game marathon with the Oilers, and probably came away figuring that if he hit the market on July 1st, he might be able to help them.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The writing was on the wall, after Philip Broberg's breakout performance in the last couple of playoff rounds. Broberg was a former first round pick of the Oilers; and they always get opportunity after opportunity to crack the lineup.

But you can't discount the playoff experience of a guy like Desharnais. I've sure the Canucks watched him closely during their seven-game marathon with the Oilers, and probably came away figuring that if he hit the market on July 1st, he might be able to help them.

I don't know that his playoff performance was terribly great - but this was really his first full season in the NHL. Have to figure the coaching staff feels there's more upside to reach with him.

Reactions: David71

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't know that his playoff performance was terribly great - but this was really his first full season in the NHL. Have to figure the coaching staff feels there's more upside to reach with him.

I thought he was quite good against us, regularly played 17+ minutes with a high of 19:49 in Game 7. He trailed off after that (though his playoff high was 23:08 minutes in Game 1 versus the Stars, that's including the OTs, but Kulak didn't log that high). There was some word he was impacted by an injury later in the playoffs and ended up scratched.

For Games 6-7 against the Canucks and Game 1 against the Stars, he was playing pretty much 19-20 minutes per game.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I'm not disputing that "journeyman" has a different meaning in other professions. In hockey, it has come to mean a player who has played for multiple teams.
In sports, a journeyman is someone who is experienced and competent but undistinguished. It has nothing to do with the number of teams played for.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
In sports, a journeyman is someone who is experienced and competent but undistinguished. It has nothing to do with the number of teams played for.
I think that as it's used, it usually does have some kind of connection with the player having worked for multiple teams—something about that "competence" being established by multiple organizations judging the player to be a player of that sort (though it might also have something to do with people in the sports world getting that "journey" bit wrong).

that's why he worked so well with Luke Schenn, who could easily absorb that punishment and get Hughes the puck. Might work with Vinny too, but if not, the signing is probably worth doing considering the PK utility and overall fit in our system.....if there's more in him, I trust our coaching staff to get it out.
Man, if Desharnais fits with Hughes, I'll start using the word "genius" when talking about this management team.

Reactions: lousy

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
If he can play as Schenn did with Hughes I would love to give that pairing a try. He seems to play a lot like Schenn does, a simple rugged defensive game. It worked before and many were sad to see that go.

Frees up Hronek as well.

Reactions: ProviesGhost

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If he can play as Schenn did with Hughes I would love to give that pairing a try. He seems to play a lot like Schenn does, a simple rugged defensive game. It worked before and many were sad to see that go.

Frees up Hronek as well.
Yeah, every Oilers fan has warned us not to move him up above a 3rd pairing, but stylistically, if he can play with Hughes the way Schenn (or even an upgraded Juulsen) did, the idea of a Forbort - Hronek pairing is a lot more promising/less scary than having a Forbort - Desharnais pairing.

Reactions: lousy

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Frees up Hronek as well.

Either that or he works with Soucy and you can move Myers down with Forbort and continue to run Hughes-Hronek. Soucy and Myers are not terrible puck movers, so that gives you one guy who can move the puck up the ice on the 2nd and 3rd pairing.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
i think the coaching staff could help vinnie unlock some potential in his game, sure he doesnt move the puck as well. but his big frame would help in the pk area and maybe if the game gets rough maybe slide him alongside quinn hughes for protection ala luke schenn.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Thanks Wiki.
I think that as it's used, it usually does have some kind of connection with the player having worked for multiple teams—something about that "competence" being established by multiple organizations judging the player to be a player of that sort (though it might also have something to do with people in the sports world getting that "journey" bit wrong).
It's the commonly accepted usage and doesn't have to be a derogatory term. "Journeyman" is used to describe players who have played on multiple teams. There's obviously different levels of competence. Mike Sillinger's name comes up in journeyman discussions because he has played on the most number of teams out of any NHL players. The guy played over 1000 games in the NHL. I haven't heard anyone call Jim Slater a journeyman. In the NBA, Chris Paul is frequently described as a journeyman (and also an NBA star). Derrick Brassard (congrats to his retirement) clearly became a journeyman and is in the Sillinger camp where he is both wanted and deemed dispensable.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You neuter hughes offensive game doing that
I never got the feeling that Schenn neutered Hughes' offensive game, personally. Might not work, but I think It's worth experimenting with.
Either that or he works with Soucy and you can move Myers down with Forbort and continue to run Hughes-Hronek. Soucy and Myers are not terrible puck movers, so that gives you one guy who can move the puck up the ice on the 2nd and 3rd pairing.
Yes, but damn, a Forbort - Myers pairing sounds potentially scary as hell in a bad way, to me. Myers had a great year, but also got to play with fairly good players.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I never got the feeling that Schenn neutered Hughes' offensive game, personally. Might not work, but I think It's worth experimenting with.

Yes, but damn, a Forbort - Myers pairing sounds potentially scary as hell in a bad way, to me. Myers had a great year, but also got to play with fairly good players.

In my mind, assuming Forbort is healthy he’d probably make a fine third pair with Myers. The issue is whether Desharnais can handle minutes with Soucy.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I could see Vinny getting DZ starts with Hughes, especially versus big teams that are good on the cycle.

Then keep Hughes and Hronek together in offensive situations.

I'm expecting deployment to be situational more so than fixed pairings, at least until there's an addition to the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad