Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign G Kevin Lankinen to 1y/0.875m Contract

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Got to feel a twinge of sympathy for Lankinen tonight in Edmonton.....he's being thrown to the wolves just to get the Canucks through another meaningless exhibition game.

I suppose the 'positive' is, he'll stare down a bevy of high-end chances and get in a lot of work.....This should help him in the long run. But listening to the goal horn go off and fans in the stands celebrating, can be grating on any goalie.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
He looked technically solid I thought. Especially in the shootout. He followed Mcdavid and stopped him.

Even on the last goal , he almost did the same as he did to Mcdavid.

When Demko comes back , we might have a trade chip in either him or Silovs.

Reactions: mossey3535

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
No doubt about it, Silovs athleticism covered a lot of weaknesses in the playoffs.
Dude is still a couple of years away from full time nhl duty.

If he figures it out he’ll be Demko 2.0

Trying to find the piece I read but it basically summed up the fact that a goaltender's chance of success at the NHL was dependent on posting a .915% of better at the AHL over a 40 (?) game sample size.

Silovs stats at the AHL aren't THAT bad but the eye test suggests that he has a tendency to melt down or allow shitty goals against the run of play. He definitely needs to figure it out down there.

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Trying to find the piece I read but it basically summed up the fact that a goaltender's chance of success at the NHL was dependent on posting a .915% of better at the AHL over a 40 (?) game sample size.

Silovs stats at the AHL aren't THAT bad but the eye test suggests that he has a tendency to melt down or allow shitty goals against the run of play. He definitely needs to figure it out down there.

The other thing with Silovs is that in both of the last two years he started off really poorly in the AHL and then heated up through the final half of the season. He looks like a guy who possibly just struggles to get into a groove at the start of a new year.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Watching Lankinen vs Silovs...Philosophically Torenius is a more relaxed goalie coach, he normally works with each goalie and doesn't try to change things overmuch unless things really aren't working. In ther past he's had to serve two masters in terms of the goalie themselves and their home clubs and what is implemented there.

Lankinen is just a more mature guy, his play style is mostly set. Silovs is still finding his identity and he's doing it from a less developed technical base.

You can see that a lot of Silov's decisions are rooted in the old Clark "go into the RVH automatically every entry" system, and since that's his established base (for what little there is) that's going to be a struggle in the NHL. It's caused lots of issues for Demko and Demko is a much better goalie.

We'll see if Lankinen can keep this up with increasing workload, he's never been a full time starter. Things just get harder the more you need to be consistent over long periods of time.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
Ive never watched Lankinen play but i knew this would be a good signing cause there were times where id pick this guy up in my fantasy pool cause he would go on hot stretches.

And i was wrong about Silovs, i thought he would be alot better than this, like he can totally hold down the fort when Demko was gone.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad