Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Kiefer Sherwood to 2-Year, $1.5M AAV Deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Any chance he gets a look on the wing with Miller and Brock?

PDG had success and Sherwood is a better player…

I kind of like the fact that a lot of the forwards seem like they could move up if need be depending on who is going. Heinen, Suter, Sherwood, even Hogs I imagine will move up and down a bit.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Drance:

The Athletic said:
Canucks hockey operations think more highly of Sherwood than that, however, even if they’d be deeply reluctant to say so publicly. This is more a storyline for training camp and in season, but there’s a school of thought that with Sherwood’s speed and willingness to mix it up, it may be worth seeing whether Sherwood is capable of effectively complementing Pettersson in a second-line role at some point this season.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Kid has a cool name.

There was just something so much more satisfying when it came to ripping shots with a wooden Sherwood hockey stick.

sherwood-hockey-stick-pmp-5030-sr_1.jpg

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
From the Athletic (note I continue to beat the paywall with print to PDF!):

Sherwood is tabbed as the Sam Lafferty replacement. He might be a smaller body, but the club wanted to bring in a fourth-line presence with a nastier game, a bottom-six winger who played to their identity on a more consistent basis than Lafferty managed last season.

Canucks hockey operations think more highly of Sherwood than that, however, even if they’d be deeply reluctant to say so publicly. This is more a storyline for training camp and in season, but there’s a school of thought that with Sherwood’s speed and willingness to mix it up, it may be worth seeing whether Sherwood is capable of effectively complementing Pettersson in a second-line role at some point this season.”

oba

Feb 2, 2024
Canucks were sold on Sherwood after his one-man, wrecking crew play against them in the Cup playoffs.....might have been one of the Preds most effective forwards.

Looking at all the signings, the Canucks have added a ton of truculence and physicality to the lineup. Tocchet is going to love some of these guys---especially Sherwood.
Now if they can only cruise effectively and load manage, until game 83. Work out all the tweaks.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Now if they can only cruise effectively and load manage, until game 83. Work out all the tweaks.
Cruising never works. There will be ups and downs (work on those tweaks as you go) and every good team needs to fight through the grind and stay hungry.

Reactions: Regal

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Looked a lot better than Lafferty in the playoffs. Nice deal.

This is basically how i'm viewing it. He's a Lafferty replacement...with a bit more potential upside. Little less versatility.

Let's hope he can sustain the intensity and physical play better than Lafferty did. And the fact he was such an enormous nuisance against us in the playoffs bodes well for that ability to have something left to give when it matters most. Which Lafferty did not have as the season wore on and he faded into the woodwork.

Also didn't entirely realize that he was quite as prolific an AHL scorer as he has become. That's also a very intriguing element. Guys who can score like that at lower levels, but still take the time to sort of "reinvent" their game as bottom-six bangers are interesting. Tends to show a really strong drive and work ethic, which bodes well for things. Especially on a Tocchet coached team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is basically how i'm viewing it. He's a Lafferty replacement...with a bit more potential upside. Little less versatility.

Let's hope he can sustain the intensity and physical play better than Lafferty did. And the fact he was such an enormous nuisance against us in the playoffs bodes well for that ability to have something left to give when it matters most. Which Lafferty did not have as the season wore on and he faded into the woodwork.

Also didn't entirely realize that he was quite as prolific an AHL scorer as he has become. That's also a very intriguing element. Guys who can score like that at lower levels, but still take the time to sort of "reinvent" their game as bottom-six bangers are interesting. Tends to show a really strong drive and work ethic, which bodes well for things. Especially on a Tocchet coached team.

I talked about this earlier - there used to be a youtube compilation of all his goals with the Colorado Eagles in 21-22 and damn it was impressive but it's gone now it seems.

He's fast and can really rip the puck. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's more NHL offense in there if given more minutes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know there's a tendency to see Sherwood strictly as a third-fourth line 'energy forward, replacing a guy like Lafferty. So anything 10 goals or more, would be a huge bonus.

What got my attention though was his 2021-22 season with the AHL Colorado Eagles. I mean 36 goals and 39 assists in just 57 games is impressive in any league. And just to prove that wasn't a fluke in his 2022-23 season split between Nashville and Milwaukee, he contributed 29 goals and 51 assists.

You don't put those kind of offensive numbers if you're a ham-fisted plumber. If he lands on a line with a decent center in Vancouver, I don't think 15-20 goals is out of the question.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Would be fun if he ends up finding really great chemistry with Miller or Petey as a dawg. The more I watch this kid, the more I love this

Heinen Miller Boeser
Debrusk Pettersson Sherwood
Joshua Blueger Garland
Hoglander Suter Podkolzin
I love all those lines. Puck hounds and grit along with scoring touch on every line.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Apparently Hughes had a pretty big say in adding Sherwood 😍😍😍😍. Move aside Eichel, there's a new GM in town.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Really like this one.

Even if he doesn't provide more offense than he's shown, he'll do a much better job of being effective and consistent in a 4th line role than someone like Lafferty.

Lafferty was such a disappointment after his hot start. Really liked him in Toronto and thought he'd at least be consistent but the dude fall off a damn cliff.

Reactions: M2Beezy and Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad