Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Kiefer Sherwood to 2-Year, $1.5M AAV Deal

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I love this contract and player. He doesn’t PK so he’s almost entirely an even-strength guy but really raised the floor of this team. Limited track record but looks to provide some needed 4th line scoring and physicality. Given what others got, this is fantastic.

The thing with Sherwood is that he was literally the most dominant offensive player in the AHL in 21-22.

He’s reprofiled as this hyper-physical bottom-6 guy but there’s a fair bit of skill there and a lethal shot and I wonder how much of that will come back to the surface with more NHL experience, even at a fairly advanced age.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The thing with Sherwood is that he was literally the most dominant offensive player in the AHL in 21-22.

He’s reprofiled as this hyper-physical bottom-6 guy but there’s a fair bit of skill there and a lethal shot and I wonder how much of that will come back to the surface with more NHL experience, even at a fairly advanced age.

This guy strikes me as the most likely to be on the Joshua-like late bloomer trajectory. Absolutely tore the doors of the AHL for multiple years (including playoffs) and then puts up a 32 point/82 pace all at evens in only 12:00 ATOI.

Could end up as one hell of a signing having both him and Joshua buzzing around destroying guys in the corner and giving us 30-40 points each.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I have no issues with this whatsoever. A low AAV along with low term. It's a win/win for the team. Teams need depth players who can play at the NHL level if they want to take that next step. This does just that and more. Good signing by the team.

Reactions: dwarf

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks were sold on Sherwood after his one-man, wrecking crew play against them in the Cup playoffs.....might have been one of the Preds most effective forwards.

Looking at all the signings, the Canucks have added a ton of truculence and physicality to the lineup. Tocchet is going to love some of these guys---especially Sherwood.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015

I just love this signing. Late bloomer.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Just randomly posting this here.
dyvaE1.gif

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
This is one of the best contracts of the day. Scored at a 30 ES point clip from 12 minutes/game, hits everything that moves, rocket of a shot. Might even have more upward offensive ability than he’s shown.

He’s a better player than Trenin who got $3.5 million AAV.

I was gonna say, this is my fav of all the signings for the Nucks today.

Reactions: dwarf and bbud

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good signing. Price is right for a player who has showed a solid, lower line NHL game last season. Plays a lot like Lafferty and has good speed.

Canucks must have been impressed with his play in the Nashville series where he was very good.

Reactions: dwarf and Frostage

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
Was one of the most noticeable players on the Preds against us in the playoff series. I think the addition of Sherwood and Heinen have been a bit underrated around here.

I think we’re significantly stronger up front compared to last season with the additions today. Remember, before the playoffs Lindholm was a ghost for us.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Was one of the most noticeable players on the Preds against us in the playoff series. I think the addition of Sherwood and Heinen have been a bit underrated around here.

I think we’re significantly stronger up front compared to last season with the additions today. Remember, before the playoffs Lindholm was a ghost for us.
It doesn't even seem fair to consider Lindholm in season-to-season comparisons, IMO, as a deadline rental that you wouldn't expect to retain in the first place.

That said, I wouldn't call them underrated-- everyone's been singing the praises of those two pickups.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Love it. Cheap and low-term. Almost no risk involved. And another one of My Guys I wanted Allvin to acquire.

He's got some untapped scoring potential. But even if he doesn't hit another level, his style should suit Tocc's system perfectly. He's a forechecking beast and hits a ton. He should provide depth scoring and be able to move up the lineup when needed. Like Debrusk, brings some needed speed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Wow!....You're not kidding.....in his breakout year with the Colorado Eagles in 2021-22 he had 36 goals and 39 assists for 75 points in just 57 games. I know it's not the NHL, but the AHL is still a tough league to put up points in. That's a monster season.

And he followed that up with 29 goals and 23 assists split between Nashville and Milwaukee in the 2022-23 season.

So clearly he's not a 'one trick pony'. He's got some serious offensive chops. And signed for $1.5m a season for the next two years. Might be the best value signing of the entire Free Agent Frenzy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad