Preds lines for next season right now

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
I hope Schenn is traded....
Agreed, but Trotz and company seems to like him, and he has negative value. Schenn and a 3rd to some team for FC?

We aren't getting Necas for anything we want to pay. Columbus was apparently prepared to give up 4OA if he would extend with them, but he wouldnt
And I would hope we wouldn’t pay the 8x8 either even if we had the cap room.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That said, I'd still make that call just to see. Worst case scenario is they say no.
There were a lot of reports indicating we were in on Necas so it's likely Trotz has called and didn't like the price. In any case, Necas is really more of a winger that can sort of play center that we already have a few of. Good player but not worth burning our best assets for at this point.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Is he though? Maybe second pair but we need a top pair guy to roll with Roman.

Here is what I see next season:

Forsberg Stamkos Evangelista

Nyquist O’Reilly Marchessault

Parssinen Novak L’Heureux

Smith Sissons McCarron

Jankowski/Tomasino

Josi RHD?

Skjei Carrier/Fabbro

Stastney Lauzon

Schenn

Saros

Wedgewood

Also…. Trouba is available and is a RD….

Fabbro, Tomasino and a first for Trouba 50% retained maybe? Then waive Schenn and bring up Del Gaizo??
Stamkos will not be playing center.
Schenn will not be moved

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Until Trotz clears cap space the team is going with a 20 player roster ... simple math. That means for now the blueline is Josi, Fabbro, Skjei, Carrier, Schenn, Lauzon. Mix and match those six however you'd like.
One thing that may help but not until the season starts is if Johansen goes on LTIR with the Flyers, does that do anything for his retention with the Preds?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
We aren’t gonna play our best centre at centre?

Stamkos
Oreilly

Looks much sexier than

Oreilly
Novak
I think Stamkos is a talent that can make a center better. Im not sure Novak is the center for him but id probably have him on wing with one of Pärssinen, Glass, or Novak (given the centers we currently have). Honestly, id love it if Svechkov or Surin were ready but they arent. Unless we find a way to get someone else, it is the best we got.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Stamkos will not be playing center.
Schenn will not be moved

We aren’t gonna play our best centre at centre?

Stamkos
Oreilly

Looks much sexier than

Oreilly
Novak

I don't know if Stamkos ultimately plays center for Nashville or not (beyond taking draws).

I do believe that Stamkos playing center would be as a last resort for all involved. Ideally, Novak takes off in that role- he's got the speed and skill to make it happen offensively (and he's locked up at a really reasonable cost too).

We'll see.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't know if Stamkos ultimately plays center for Nashville or not (beyond taking draws).

I do believe that Stamkos playing center would be as a last resort for all involved. Ideally, Novak takes off in that role- he's got the speed and skill to make it happen offensively (and he's locked up at a really reasonable cost too).

We'll see.
We shall see I agree but it feels like a waste having a stud like stammer playing with a centre like Novak….

Stammer took a ton of face offs last season with a good winning percentage. We are weak at centre. just makes too much sense…

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
We shall see I agree but it feels like a waste having a stud like stammer playing with a centre like Novak….

Stammer took a ton of face offs last season with a good winning percentage. We are weak at centre. just makes too much sense…

I haven't looked up Novak's FO% and Stamkos is quite good last I checked. But there's a difference in taking the draws versus really playing the C position.

I actually fully expect Novak to play the C to start with, but Stamkos to take a fair amount of draws depending on which dot/side, and maybe even the lion's share of draws regardless of the dot.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
At least Stamkos will be able to take the Dzone draws (must likely after icings) maybe then get the puck to Novak and he can use his speed to get up ice and enter the zone. You probably hope for the best with Novak/Parssinen taking draws in the Ozone so Stamkos can be in a shooting position if the draw is won.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Stamkos isn't a play-driver nor a 200-foot two-way forward at this point of his career. Well, it's not like he was defensive forward to begin with but still.

He needs a playmaker and a more defensive-minded forward in order to succeed. I'd actually consider putting him in with either Pärssinen or Novak as his center and someone like Nyquist on his other wing. Something very tempting about a top-line of Forsberg, ROR and Marchessault.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Since a center has more defensive responsibility than a wing, I question the rational of Novak at center in a top six role as that is not a strength of his. We won't know until the season starts but I also doubt he will be part of the first or second line. The good news is we have the talent to run three scoring line threats this year, and Novak could easily succeed as the third line center.

Reactions: Dadof5boys

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While I understand the enjoyment people get from figuring things out what you have right now is ROR, Stamkos, Forsberg, Nyquist, and Marchessault in some form of combo and whatever 6th works best with those 5.

All you can guarantee is those 5 will be in the top 6 in some combination.

Reactions: Scoresberg

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
While I understand the enjoyment people get from figuring things out what you have right now is ROR, Stamkos, Forsberg, Nyquist, and Marchessault in some form of combo and whatever 6th works best with those 5.

All I know is that none of the folks trying to separate from the rest of the pack for that sixth spot can bitch about not having enough talent alongside to put up good numbers.

Another possibility that wouldn't surprise me would be for that "sixth" spot to go to a player that can be carried/protected by the talent from that top 5, so that we can also ice a capable third line and have a true top 9. Part of this is going to depend on player chemistry, etc., but I don't know that it's necessarily going to be the case that our "top 6" are truly the six best players.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Yeah but then when the playoffs hit they kept Glass benched and brought up Parsinnen, that tells me a whole lot of just exactly what they think about Glass.

And people might as well get used to it, Schenn is going to be playing so you might as well have him in your line up. Trotz didn't give him that contract to sit on the bench and ride out his career. Now luckily he seemed to do better as the season went on, I know Hal Gill said he was struggling with the changes he needed to make in his game to play Brunette's system, so hopefully with a full offseason to work on it things will be better.

IMO Glass ends up moved, or just flat out waived. If someone comes out of camp and steals a spot Fabbro may be right there with him.
My guess is that all 3 of them are gone by the start of the season.

The "youth movement" is toast. It's been replaced with a "grizzled vet movement" now. Like I said a week or two back, I fully expected us to get older and more veteran this offseason. Trotz just made me prophetic is all.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth

That's the default situation, yes. But I could see someone overtaking Nyquist in the top-six in case he falls off. I'd love to see Evangelista get his looks there with Forsberg and O'Reilly.

Reactions: hockey diva

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I wonder if Zamula from the Flyers will go to arbitration so RyJo can get bought out or if they're gonna roll with him. They have capspace once Ellis goes to LTIR so it probably isnt necessary

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder if Zamula from the Flyers will go to arbitration so RyJo can get bought out or if they're gonna roll with him. They have capspace once Ellis goes to LTIR so it probably isnt necessary
I guess Philly doesn't even need to care about buying out RyJo if they can just LTIR him too? Which seemed to be the direction the two camps were taking last I heard?

Doesn't help us if they LTIR him. But ouch for Philly that they have TWO of our crippled players on the books. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad