Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jake DeBrusk to 7-Year, $5.5M AAV Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
So he's quick, a good skater, goes to the dirty areas, excellent defensively, great pk guy, and is still considered a goal scorer at the end of the day?

I think that the inconsistency I keep hearing about is what kept him at 5.5. If he was all those things and consistently scoring he would be looking at more like 7.5 or 8 would be not?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So he's quick, a good skater, goes to the dirty areas, excellent defensively, great pk guy, and is still considered a goal scorer at the end of the day?

I think that the inconsistency I keep hearing about is what kept him at 5.5. If he was all those things and consistently scoring he would be looking at more like 7.5 or 8 would be not?

He would need to be a more consistent 30 goal, 60+ point guy to start creeping into the 7MM valuation IMO. Consistency has been a big issue for him, as have untimely injuries (he had a major injury a season he was going absolutely apesh** in 22-23).

Reactions: mossey3535

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver

Lots of net front goals, some tip ins, and goals from in tight, especially on the power play. A lot of these goals look like the types of goals that Boeser scores these days so I'd think it'd be better to put DeBrusk with Pettersson rather than Miller/Boeser.
Looks very fast and can score rush goals too, so probably better off with EP there too.

Not a lot of east-west passing plays in his game it looks like. Very straight-line direct player who does everything at speed

I think Petey will be happy with that skill set, watching that made me cringe with Mik Miss Memories

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
The difference between DeBrusk this year and DeBrusk in 22/23 (when he scored at a 35g/82 clip) is what I've been looking at and two things stood out:

skating data was weaker this year

HD shots/GP were down massively to .89 in 23/24 vs 1.38 in 22/23

Not sure there's much to be gleaned from the skating data.

Re HDS generation: one big difference this year vs last is QOT. He went from playing mostly with Bergeron as his ES C, to playing mostly with Coyle....which probably isn't a positive. If Debrusk goes more aggressively to the net, we probably have the distributors to get him the puck there a lot.

He was not really a primary target of mine leading up to the frenzy, but all things considered I don't mind the signing for the same reasons a lot of others have already talked about (digestible cap hit, age, utility, abrasiveness, speed). I do think there may be a decent sized sliver of hope for upside if he meshes well with Pettersson. I can absolutely see him working well with Miller and Boeser. Or Garland.

I really like the work Alvin did yesterday. Brought in a lot of guys that have (at least on paper) a lot of 2 way utility and grit. Lots of interesting line combos seem plausible.

I love the idea of going into the season without being in the LTIR penalty box.
On the radio yesterday on AM650, they were saying that JDB was playing most of this past season with some sort of hand injury. Not severe enough to shut him down, but it was enough to limit his effectiveness.

He has missed time in his career with various injuries so hopefully it won't be an on-going issue, but the hand thing might be another reason he took a step back statistically last season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Probably dumb to reply to your own post but rethinking this all day and think original reaction was too pessimistic and reflected more my regret with losing Zadorov. Do see a fit with Tocchet approach as number suggest a good two way game and de Brusk has shown he can get to the net. I'd say a lot better than many of our forwards. Can see some Garland like comparisons

To me, far from a slam dunk, but enough of a implicit value bet to take a chance here.

My views have done much the same thing.

A big of initial disappointment to be losing Zadorov and missing out on Guentzel/Reinhart, but after letting this soak in for a day I think it's a good signing and a prudent move at a good AAV.

The scary bit is the term. 7 years is a long time - think how much the league has changed since we were signing Vanek/Gagner/Del Zotto. If it's 4 years (like Mikheyev) and the signing doesn't work out after 2 you can move it on. With 7 years, it had better work out.

Looking at all the numbers, I'm certainly open to the notion that he can break out into the 30-35 goal range with more TOI and better Cs than he had in Boston.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I don't think he's going to be Petey's linemate.

Think his game will mesh better with Miller.

Can see a top 6 of

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Petey - Garland

Reactions: Bleach Clean

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
I don't think he's going to be Petey's linemate.

Think his game will mesh better with Miller.

Can see a top 6 of

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Petey - Garland
I love Joshua, but if he's on the 2nd line I can skip watching next season because we aren't accomplishing anything.

When it comes to Jake I see a very similar situation to when we acquired Mikael Samuelsson except Jake is younger and bit grittier.

20/20 guy who is good defensively, good at even strength, has room to grow and strangely has as many gwg as EP.

Last edited:

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
do people not realize how f***ing good joshua/blueger/garland was that should be a more than viable second line

Except slotting them into the second line means they race stiffer comp. Not at all smart.

This is why 2011 worked so incredibly well. Everyone was perfectly suited for their role and everyone took turns playing above their current level.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

It's because he's "only" put up 40-50 points the last few seasons. Every 50 point 2nd line winger gets labelled as "inconsistent" at some point, because most people don't understand distributions.

A 0.66 PPG player isn't going to get 2 points every 3 games. But that's what people expect. They're going to have stretches of like 9 points in 5 games, then 0 in 7, and then people will label them as "inconsistent" because they can't keep up that pace.

He much of his inconsistency is due to being in trade limbo for an extended period of time, injury and Bruins having little center ice depth? I know which way the canucks are betting.
Agree with the above, but the "inconsistency" factor is generally overblown in most cases.

On the radio yesterday on AM650, they were saying that JDB was playing most of this past season with some sort of hand injury. Not severe enough to shut him down, but it was enough to limit his effectiveness.

He has missed time in his career with various injuries so hopefully it won't be an on-going issue, but the hand thing might be another reason he took a step back statistically last season.
Yeah, he played with a hand injury for much of the season. It's not really surprising the shot rates declined.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Thank you, someone gets it.

When it comes to goal scoring only the elite of the elite aren't streaky.

I don't know how it finished but at the 40 something game mark Matthews had only scored in half the games.

Reactions: bossram

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's because he's "only" put up 40-50 points the last few seasons. Every 50 point 2nd line winger gets labelled as "inconsistent" at some point, because most people don't understand distributions.

A 0.66 PPG player isn't going to get 2 points every 3 games. But that's what people expect. They're going to have stretches of like 9 points in 5 games, then 0 in 7, and then people will label them as "inconsistent" because they can't keep up that pace.

Agree with the above, but the "inconsistency" factor is generally overblown in most cases.

Yeah, he played with a hand injury for much of the season. It's not really surprising the shot rates declined.

There's ebb and flow, then there's Debrusk's trick of 10 points in a 40 game stretch

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.

I go to the dirty areas for free babes

I think that fat dobber was, at the time, one of the current longest tenure GM's too.
I'll show u a fat dobber all right.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
I think Petey will be happy with that skill set, watching that made me cringe with Mik Miss Memories

I watched 14 seconds of that 7 minute video and I already saw as many DeBrusk goals as Mikheyev scored for us in the past 6 months.

Edit: sorry gave Mikheyev too much credit, it's 8 months.

2nd Edit: holy shit how can someone be that bad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad