Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jake DeBrusk to 7-Year, $5.5M AAV Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I actually like this... I think this is cap rising NHL... while the term seems like it sucks, I think the cap rises enough where this is a nothing contract in 3 years. Plus as others have said, look at the other deals... ugh for so many of them, just with the age difference.

Reactions: I am toxic

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Contract is too long and too high. Runs hot and cold and Boston has beeen trying to move him for years. Often put in high scoring positions in Boston to increase his value in trade and pretty obvious Boston was not making a serious effort top get him back.

Seems to me Canucks were set on Guentzel but lost out on him and then scrambbled and over-paid to get de Brusk. Ended up over-terming and over-paying.

Maybe (big maybe) the deal ages well if cap keeps going up but at the moment have a very mid level player at high price.

Agree team is way better off, overall. with Zadorov rather than de Brusk.

Team gets hell of lot smaller.
Probably dumb to reply to your own post but rethinking this all day and think original reaction was too pessimistic and reflected more my regret with losing Zadorov. Do see a fit with Tocchet approach as number suggest a good two way game and de Brusk has shown he can get to the net. I'd say a lot better than many of our forwards. Can see some Garland like comparisons

To me, far from a slam dunk, but enough of a implicit value bet to take a chance here.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I love Hog and believe he has more to show, but he shot at 20% last season. That's not sustainable.
The point of that post wasn't to suggest that I think Hoglander's a superstar, the point was to suggest that I think it's pointless/silly to draw too many conclusions from such a stat comparison.

Last edited:

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver

Lots of net front goals, some tip ins, and goals from in tight, especially on the power play. A lot of these goals look like the types of goals that Boeser scores these days so I'd think it'd be better to put DeBrusk with Pettersson rather than Miller/Boeser.
Looks very fast and can score rush goals too, so probably better off with EP there too.

Not a lot of east-west passing plays in his game it looks like. Very straight-line direct player who does everything at speed

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
This takes him until he's 34, so it's not like we are buying up a bunch of high risk years by going 7 here. Vancouver has better C depth than Boston had last year, he could post well past 30g playing mostly on JT Miller's and EP's wings.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Probably dumb to reply to your own post but rethinking this all day and think original reaction was too pessimistic and reflected more my regret with losing Zadorov. Do see a fit with Tocchet approach as number suggest a good two way game and de Brusk has shown he can get to the net. I'd say a lot better than many of our forwards. Can see some Garland like comparisons

To me, far from a slam dunk, but enough of a implicit value bet to take a chance here.

There's a recent trend of big game/fish hunting but for many years it's been seen as prudent to surround your star players with good players on good contracts. Could we use a 4th star player up front? Yes. But more importantly we need our big 3 up front to be our big 3 up front + Hughes + Demko. It's too bad that Kuzmenko didn't work out here.

Given that we got rid of Kuzmenko and Mik, and unable to re-sign Lindholm or add Guentzel, DeBrusk is as good of a turnaround addition as any. He's also a guy with a ton of playoff experience.

Reactions: alternate

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Loui Ericsson was originally from Dallas, then had decent success in Boston.
Ericsson knew what he was doing, guy cashed in.

I'm not just talking about Eriksson. I'm talking about other players as well. Former Bruins that actually worked out had some distance between their time in Boston and their time in Vancouver (e.g. Geoff Courtnall and Anson Carter). Lazar, Studnicka, Eriksson, Bartkowski, Halak, Schaller etc. all weren't good acquisitions.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are getting DeBrusk in what should be the prime of his NHL career.....unlike Guentzel, who got a much longer term at almost double the money in Tampa.

Is Guentzel 'twice as good' as DeBrusk? If playoff scoring is any indication, I don't think so.

Canucks are getting DeBrusk in what should be the prime of his NHL career.....unlike Guentzel, who got a much longer term at almost double the money in Tampa.

Is Guentzel 'twice as good' as DeBrusk? If playoff scoring is any indication, I don't think so.

Reactions: I am toxic

Sophos

Jul 23, 2021

Lots of net front goals, some tip ins, and goals from in tight, especially on the power play. A lot of these goals look like the types of goals that Boeser scores these days so I'd think it'd be better to put DeBrusk with Pettersson rather than Miller/Boeser.
Looks very fast and can score rush goals too, so probably better off with EP there too.

Not a lot of east-west passing plays in his game it looks like. Very straight-line direct player who does everything at speed

I mean this with all due respect, but listening to that video gave me a f***ing stroke. I'm glad Jack retired, jesus.

Excited about Debrusk, though. As long as he can leverage the skill of Pettersson/Miller, I'm confident we'll see a superb, all-situations forward come to the fore over the next few years.

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
There's a recent trend of big game/fish hunting but for many years it's been seen as prudent to surround your star players with good players on good contracts. Could we use a 4th star player up front? Yes. But more importantly we need our big 3 up front to be our big 3 up front + Hughes + Demko. It's too bad that Kuzmenko didn't work out here.

Given that we got rid of Kuzmenko and Mik, and unable to re-sign Lindholm or add Guentzel, DeBrusk is as good of a turnaround addition as any. He's also a guy with a ton of playoff experience.
Seems to be a theme with the players we signed today. All have playoff experience.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Good luck to him and good luck to you all when his number one fan starts posting over here.
It is not me. I would have rather the Bs kept Danton Heinen.

I like Jake but am not sad he is gone. He can be very good but also is so inconsistent that he drove me nuts.

IMO, he pouts if he isn't on the top line and needs players to make him better.

He was one of the better players for the Bs in the playoffs but if they had gotten past round 2 who knows.

He seems like a good kid but a bit odd. I wish him well and hope Vancouver is a good fit for him

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
A couple years ago I never thought he'd get a deal like this but he's rounded out his game quite well.

Been a whipping boy for a lot of Boston fans for most of his career but seems like a lot of them wouldn't have minded keeping him now which anecdotally suggests he's turned it around a bit.

He had his best year last season in which he paced for 64 points playing alongside Bergeron and Marchand for the most part. Took a step back this season but played mostly with Coyle and a down-season Marchand, and was strong in the playoffs. So if with a better center like Pettersson, he ends up being somewhere in the middle (55 points) while being good defensively, this will be a fine signing.

Definitely a UFA contract, I don't know if there's any surplus value here unless he and Pettersson find some insane chemistry or something. This signing kind of has a Mikheyev feel to it where he checks all the boxes on paper but don't exactly know what to expect in practice. Although, to be fair, Mikheyev was very effective pre-surgery and his story here could have been very different had it not been for that injury.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
30-30 this year while being an elite PKer. Playing with Petey will do wonders for him. Love that Debrusk is such a threat on the PK.
Debrusk, Suter, Bleuger, Joshua, PDG, Miller, Pettersson - all of these guys can PK well and having depth there goes a loooong way. Makes life for Demko easier and the team absolutely needs Demko at full capacity in the playoffs.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
He’s the kind of player that is useful, coaches will love him, and his cap hit will be fine going forward. The term doesn’t bother me as he’ll be 34 when it’s over. There’s a good chance he actually provides full value. He also seems to be a good locker room guy and wants to be in Western Canada.

My main complaint is I’d rather use that cap space on an actual true goal scorer.
Sure, but who was available though? Reinhart and Guentzel never even made it to UFA, and I don't want anything to do with Stamkos' or Marchassault's contract. Perron is old. Tocchet probably wouldn't like Duclair's game. There isn't much else.

Unless you are thinking of the trade market, but aside from Laine, who is even available?

I actually really like this signing. A prime-age 20ish goal scorer that brings speed, forecheck, and PK utilities is very valuable for this team. Sure he can be inconsistent, but if he was consistent he would've been a 30ish goal scorer looking for $7.5m+. He has always seem to be uncomfortable in Boston, probably due to the pressure of being the only NHL player from that 2015 first round for the Bruins. I'm not sure what happened behind the scene but it was enough for him to ask for a trade out at one point. I wouldn't be surprised if he has more to give in a more stable situation.

We were able to dump Mikheyev's 2 x $4.75m contract in a $87m cap world for a 2nd rounder, if the last couple years JDB becomes a cap dump in a $100m+ cap world, I'm sure it won't be the end of the world, so the 7 years term doesn't scare me. He would only be 32-34 by year 6-7 of the contract, so he won't be ancient and shouldn't be unplayable.

Reactions: Jerry the great

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Both terms are the same and Guentzel is only 2 years older than DeBrusk. It’s also 60% more money, not double, but Guentzel has averaged over 70% more production in the playoffs. Both their AAVs are pretty decent for their value imo

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
According to Drance, DeBrusk was their primary target all along:

The Athletic said:
The Canucks never attempted to trade for Jake Guentzel’s signing rights.

While Canucks brass loves the player and would’ve found a way to make it work if Guentzel had made it to free agency, and been open to coming out West, the club was concerned with how adding a $9-$10 million cap hit to the books might impact the team’s balance. All along they preferred the younger, more affordable option of Jake DeBrusk to punch up their top-six forward group.

Obviously the Canucks kept a tight lid on information surrounding their intentions in free agency, to the point of breaking nearly all of their own signings themselves, but multiple team sources indicated to The Athletic once the dust settled on Monday that one of the reasons Vancouver didn’t try to trade for Guentzel’s rights is that DeBrusk was their primary top-six forward target all along.

• Wow
Reactions: ProviesGhost and MS

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Sure, but who was available though? Reinhart and Guentzel never even made it to UFA, and I don't want anything to do with Stamkos' or Marchassault's contract. Perron is old. Tocchet probably wouldn't like Duclair's game. There isn't much else.

Unless you are thinking of the trade market, but aside from Laine, who is even available?

I actually really like this signing. A prime-age 20ish goal scorer that brings speed, forecheck, and PK utilities is very valuable for this team. Sure he can be inconsistent, but if he was consistent he would've been a 30ish goal scorer looking for $7.5m+. He has always seem to be uncomfortable in Boston, probably due to the pressure of being the only NHL player from that 2015 first round for the Bruins. I'm not sure what happened behind the scene but it was enough for him to ask for a trade out at one point. I wouldn't be surprised if he has more to give in a more stable situation.

We were able to dump Mikheyev's 2 x $4.75m contract in a $87m cap world for a 2nd rounder, if the last couple years JDB becomes a cap dump in a $100m+ cap world, I'm sure it won't be the end of the world, so the 7 years term doesn't scare me. He would only be 32-34 by year 6-7 of the contract, so he won't be ancient and shouldn't be unplayable.
The difference between DeBrusk this year and DeBrusk in 22/23 (when he scored at a 35g/82 clip) is what I've been looking at and two things stood out:

skating data was weaker this year

HD shots/GP were down massively to .89 in 23/24 vs 1.38 in 22/23

Not sure there's much to be gleaned from the skating data.

Re HDS generation: one big difference this year vs last is QOT. He went from playing mostly with Bergeron as his ES C, to playing mostly with Coyle....which probably isn't a positive. If Debrusk goes more aggressively to the net, we probably have the distributors to get him the puck there a lot.

He was not really a primary target of mine leading up to the frenzy, but all things considered I don't mind the signing for the same reasons a lot of others have already talked about (digestible cap hit, age, utility, abrasiveness, speed). I do think there may be a decent sized sliver of hope for upside if he meshes well with Pettersson. I can absolutely see him working well with Miller and Boeser. Or Garland.

I really like the work Alvin did yesterday. Brought in a lot of guys that have (at least on paper) a lot of 2 way utility and grit. Lots of interesting line combos seem plausible.

I love the idea of going into the season without being in the LTIR penalty box.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

I would like this post twice, but the mods won't let me like anything more than once.

Mods, can you fix that? No, I won't promise to be nicer if you do, there is nothing in it for you. Just thought I'd ask anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad