Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jake DeBrusk to 7-Year, $5.5M AAV Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Doubt that will happen as he's still young and has the HAPPY feet and can forecheck like the devil.

It's guys like Boeser or Miller who really hit the wall around 32- 34 yrs old and it' mostly because of their foot speed (never really had it in the first place) & the league just passes them by.

It’s one of those things where sometimes if your skating advantage goes then you don’t have the smarts or creativity to make up for it. And it’s hard to be a forechecking demon as you get older. Not saying it will necessarily happen to DeBrusk but I wouldn’t expect him to be a top 6 player the last two years of the deal.

I would t expect Miller to age quickly because he has a lot of talent to fall back on. Boeser maybe because his skating is that weak as is.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think the likelihood of elite talent making it to market will be diminished over the next few years. A rising cap, parity and teams being flush with picks means VAN is in tough to get anything done there.

Boeser being the best winger on the team likely gets re-signed.

I think VAN is now set on the path of winning via depth, not top end talent, but we'll see.

I mean, if Pettersson, Miller, Hughes and Demko are all playing at the top of their games the top end talent is still as good as all but a handful of teams in the league.

i don't disagree that high end players have better longetivity, but i'm still probably not taking the bet that guentzel from ages 29-36 won't experience a decline more significant than debrusk from 27-34... and i don't entirely buy that guentzel losing his tools won't result in a massive downtick in production. we all saw what happened with pettersson and his knee injury.

Fair enough. I think Guentzel was worth the risk. I’m not sure DeBrusk is, but it’s not a big deal as long as he doesn’t decline much the first 4/5 years or so.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Yeah, that's exactly what happened.

Jesus H
What's so Jesus H about that? I'm probably wrong with the 5yr original offer as Debrusk was plan B but everyone in the NHL including their dogs knew Z was coming in at around 5 mil. & 8 for Lindholm....It was always about term with these players and for some reason this management team didn't want to commit to that.

They got burnt and now we have Debrusk for 7 years

I think management really F*cked up by not offering Zadorov that exact same offer and signing Myers early( needed that extra 3 mil for FA) and not letting Myers go to FA.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I’m not a big fan of the player but it could be due to his situation in Boston. I worry about his consistency. Otherwise, term is a bit long but the player is good. Versatile 2-way player, gives you 20 goals 50 points with a higher ceiling, can produce in the playoffs. Could break out if he proves to be a good fit. Probably better with Miller than Petey.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I’m not a big fan of the player but it could be due to his situation in Boston. I worry about his consistency. Otherwise, term is a bit long but the player is good. Versatile 2-way player, gives you 20 goals 50 points with a higher ceiling, can produce in the playoffs. Could break out if he proves to be a good fit. Probably better with Miller than Petey.
Have to wonder how much Tocchet had an influence (if any) on the signing? If anybody can get the player going, it's going to be him.

Reactions: Burnaby Schmo

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I dislike this deal, I think he'll be fine for the first 3 years and then it could go downhill fast. He's also just a streaky 2nd line winger so he's going to have weeks where he'll frustrate fans.

But I do like that he's a bit of a playoff gamer, so if the team makes the playoffs again I think he'll win over fans.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I mean, if Pettersson, Miller, Hughes and Demko are all playing at the top of their games the top end talent is still as good as all but a handful of teams in the league.

Fair enough. I think Guentzel was worth the risk. I’m not sure DeBrusk is, but it’s not a big deal as long as he doesn’t decline much the first 4/5 years or so.
For sure, I definitely would've rather had Guentzel. I don't care about the whole 7 years, I care about the next 3, and Guentzel is definitely better.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For what it’s worth, I think Calgary offered 4 years over $6M AAV so there is some cap savings here with the much longer term.
Pretty much guarantied to be a 40-50+ point winger that is 6ft, 200lbs and can skate that is 27 year old...yah hate it, what were they thinking? :biglaugh::DD
I consider him more as a 28 year old signing. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Wry n Ginger

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Pretty much guarantied to be a 40-50+ point winger that is 6ft, 200lbs and can skate that is 27 year old...yah hate it, what were they thinking? :biglaugh::DD
It's not the player in a vacuum, but 5.5 for potentially a 40pt guy, when the team still needs a long term top 4 RHD, OEL's 4.7 coming up, Boeser's extension, and probably a high end skill top 6 forward...

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Contract is too long and too high. Runs hot and cold and Boston has beeen trying to move him for years. Often put in high scoring positions in Boston to increase his value in trade and pretty obvious Boston was not making a serious effort top get him back.

Seems to me Canucks were set on Guentzel but lost out on him and then scrambbled and over-paid to get de Brusk. Ended up over-terming and over-paying.

Maybe (big maybe) the deal ages well if cap keeps going up but at the moment have a very mid level player at high price.

Agree team is way better off, overall. with Zadorov rather than de Brusk.

Team gets hell of lot smaller.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I also would have liked the clearly better player, the one who was also not available to us at the end of the day so whats the point grousing about it?
What? It's a minor discussion about performance decline for hockey players on a hockey discussion forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad