Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Derek Forbort to 1-Year, $1.5M AAV Contract

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
This, or they do a minor deal including Juulsen and push Forbort down. The target has to be an upgrade on Forbort, who is just a placeholder imo.

I think Desharnais signals the end of Juulsen here.

My guess is that they're eyeing Marcus Pettersson later in the year, just like the Oilers would be, or looking at what happens to Matthias Samuelsson in BUF.

Forbort was their worst signing of the day, but he's also the one with the least term.
Yeah that’s probably right. 1.5m at 1 year is a low risk flyer- he can either step up and give you legit 3rd pair value or disappoints.

This group has shown they are willing to correct their mistakes quickly.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks might have one of the biggest bluelines in the entire.....unfortunately in terms of mobility it might have the turning radius of a Humvee.

Still think at some point they're going to have to find some guy with a bit more mobility, who can beat the forecheck with finesse and transition the puck quickly. Maybe a guy like Cole McWard or Jett Woo steps up big-time in training camp.

But more likely they just 'get by' this season and open up a spot for Wilander next season. The other option is splitting up Hughes and Hronek, and hope that Hronek can anchor a second pairing.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Derek is a dog lover. He adopted Darla when she was older.

Bruins fans loved Darla stories. Sadly, she passed away in March.

1720092457213.png

Reactions: CanadianPirate

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Also Derek Sanderson went into the Bs locker room to meet Forbort

It makes sense that Derek Forbort eventually made his way to Boston. His dad named him after Bruins legend Derek Sanderson. “I actually was named after Derek Sanderson,” the Bruins defenseman said Thursday over Zoom. “He was my dad’s favorite player. That was my first hockey card that I had in my room, was a Derek Sanderson card.”
1720092624042.png

Reactions: CanadianPirate

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It's clear that Forbort has a lot of work to do become effective on the bottom pairing. Makes you wonder if the coaching staff over-bought into the notion that they're big dmen whisperers after finding success with Myers and Zadorov. It could be the case that there aren't enough raw ingredients to work with in this player.

If he has a couple more nights like last night though, I suspect they'll own up to their mistake and pair Desharnais with a puck mover. Wolanin or possibly Brannstrom might be a decent stop gap until we have accrued enough cap to bring in someone more legit.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Forbort is an aging player, slow to begin with, in decline, and coming off major surgeries which he came back surprisingly early from.

The upside is that Forbort had been pretty good for Boston prior to last season when he dealt with injuries so there's hope of a bounce back year.

I'm hoping that things revert to mean and Forbort will be a solid 3rd pairing defenseman and good on the PK in the games he does play.

I think Cole has always been the better defenseman so Cole isn't a very good comparison aside from the two having been brought in on 1 year deals to play a veteran role.

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
Seems like a great guy and has twice already jumped in to defend a teammate with zero hesitation.

Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have any kind of NHL skillset other than being a good penalty killer. Not a guy you can have playing a regular shift 5-on-5.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Seems like a great guy and has twice already jumped in to defend a teammate with zero hesitation.

Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have any kind of NHL skillset other than being a good penalty killer. Not a guy you can have playing a regular shift 5-on-5.

He's basically a LH Juulsen. And having one of those guys as your 7D is fine but you can't have two.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Looking like the guy Boston didn't want to play on a regular basis last year.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad