Proposal: Canucks re-tool

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is a terrible take and you seem to think it is gospel. We can take a look at the top 50 and there are a lot of 30+, top 100 has about 25-30 30+ players.

Bo has about 4 or 5 good years after this one in him, and those years are all most teams get for a window.

Keep holding onto that myth

1668468207858.png

The cliff dive starts at 28.

Obviously not every player is the same, there's always exceptions to the rules. But those exceptions go both ways, for every player that holds on for a few extra years beyond 28 before regressing, another players cliff dive has them out of the league by 31.

EDIT: You dont even understand the concept of regression actually, upon reading your post more closely :laugh:

Last edited:

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
:laugh:

View attachment 607987
Now do one that takes into account top players. Most players that sharply decline in their 30's tend to be 3rd liners or worse. 1st liners start dipping into 2nd line numbers and 2nd liners slowly dip into the lower end of 2nd line production. This data is also 6 years old. Find us current proof to prove your point. I also can't think of a single player to "peak" at 22/23 and then start to decline. That's when most players break into the league.

If you want to prove a point, get better data and make sure it is current.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This is true. But Myers has been objectively horrific this year at even strength as well.

I'm vehemently against waiving Boeser or similar 'agh blow it up no matter what' moves. I'm okay moving Boeser, but not just for the sake of dumping him.

Myers, I would drive to the airport. He was good last year, this year I genuinely think he has been the worst D in the league.
Did you miss Stillman and Rathbones games?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

View attachment 607987

The cliff dive starts at 28.

Obviously not every player is the same, there's always exceptions to the rules. But those exceptions go both ways, for every player that holds on for a few extra years beyond 28 before regressing, another players cliff dive has them out of the league by 31.

EDIT: You dont even understand the concept of regression actually, upon reading your post more closely :laugh:
You would have to use the top180 forwards in ice time for this to have any merits.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Now do one that takes into account top players. Most players that sharply decline in their 30's tend to be 3rd liners or worse. 1st liners start dipping into 2nd line numbers and 2nd liners slowly dip into the lower end of 2nd line production. This data is also 6 years old. Find us current proof to prove your point. I also can't think of a single player to "peak" at 22/23 and then start to decline. That's when most players break into the league.

If you want to prove a point, get better data and make sure it is current.

I dont have it immediately, but that one is literally worse :laugh:

A player that is a "4.0 WAR" will decrease more sharply then a player that is a "1.0 WAR" for example. This chart shows the overall average. You're flat out wrong and its hilarious(though unsurprising) to see you dispute evidence.

I actually think its more a simple matter of you not understanding regression. A 30+ player can still be a Top 100 player in the league, while also having regressed every year for 4-5 years straight. Both of those statements are allowed to be factually true.

Horvat can still be an effective player for 4-5 more years beyond this year, and also still regress each of those years. Again, both statements are allowed to be true.

EDIT: Anyway, the entire point initially was that Horvat isn't a young Center anymore. He's at the very end of his prime years.

Personally I still like his game a lot. He's my #1 trade target as an Avs fan and I hope we both trade for and re-sign him this year. Fits what we need as a 2C almost perfectly.

But, I'm also well aware he only has probably this year and 2-3 more years as a true Top 6 Center in the league before he regresses to more of a 3C or worse. Which is fine, Colorado's cup window is realistically only 3-4 more years max anyways since our own core is approaching that 30 age range as well(Landeskog, Mackinnon, and Nichushkin will all be 30+ within 3 years) and will start to hit the same regression patterns.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Since Rutherford and Allvin are against blowing this thing up, here is my idea on how the Canucks could free up some cap space moving forward and pick up some picks to try and re-shape the roster

To FLA:
Tanner Pearson

To VAN:
Nick Cousins
Patrick Hornqvist
2025 3rd round pick

FLA becomes cap compliant when Duclair returns in the next 1-2 months at the cost of 2M next year and a 3rd. Canucks open up 2M cap space next year and pick up a mid pick in exchange for the extra cap created from the previous deals

Can we work Schenn in too?
I get some VAN fans want to keep him but he could always be re-signed next year if he's ready to continue his team leader/veteran role with the Canucks.

I think most Panther fans would easily do this, Hornqvist looks dead out there, worn out and bloated caphit.
Cousins hasn't been very good either but scored the other night.
Wouldn't be missed.

What's Schenn's value?
You need prospects? F or D?
Florida a tad dry on picks haha

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I dont have it immediately, but that one is literally worse :laugh:

A player that is a "4.0 WAR" will decrease more sharply then a player that is a "1.0 WAR" for example. This chart shows the overall average. You're flat out wrong and its hilarious(though unsurprising) to see you dispute evidence.

I actually think its more a simple matter of you not understanding regression. A 30+ player can still be a Top 100 player in the league, while also having regressed every year for 4-5 years straight. Both of those statements are allowed to be factually true.

Horvat can still be an effective player for 4-5 more years beyond this year, and also still regress each of those years. Again, both statements are allowed to be true.
Then please explain it, because your chart shows players start to decline at 24 years old. Also showing 1 analytical stat is not "evidence", unless you believe WAR to be the only one that matters. Everyone can bring a small sample size to prove their point. Here's one:

Stamkos had his 2nd best season ever at 31 years old.

Now, taking every player to play during a certain stretch of time will show differently, but you simply can't post data in such a way that doesn't take into account exceptions. You also can't post that data and suggest that every 27-year-old will follow suite. I will concede that most players decline in their 30's, but some players also play their best hockey after them.

Now I'm not going to be ignorant like you and keep suggesting you ae flat out wrong, but you are not completely right and there are holes in your evidence.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Statistically this isn't true. Players peak at about 28-29 years old. Horvat turns 28 in April so his next contract will almost entirely be in the downswing of his career.

Now, a UFA at 28 is certainly a better age then what most UFAs who hit the open market and sign for big money are(They're usually ~30) so in that sense he should be better value then your typical UFA signing... But that doesn't mean it will be good and if he gets a 7-8 year contract, without question the back half of that deal will not be good for whoever signs him.

He's much, much closer to being an old center then he is a young center, for sure.

See above.

27 is not young anymore, that's a common myth that's existed for a while that isn't true. Bo has 1, maybe 2 more years of top tier play before he begins a decline. A "young" center would be like 21 or 22 years old.
There's nothing mythic about a 27 year old being a young man, lol. He's just as close to 25 as he is to 30. Good grief.

Reactions: Cogburn

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Then please explain it, because your chart shows players start to decline at 24 years old. Also showing 1 analytical stat is not "evidence", unless you believe WAR to be the only one that matters. Everyone can bring a small sample size to prove their point. Here's one:

Stamkos had his 2nd best season ever at 31 years old.

Now, taking every player to play during a certain stretch of time will show differently, but you simply can't post data in such a way that doesn't take into account exceptions. You also can't post that data and suggest that every 27-year-old will follow suite. I will concede that most players decline in their 30's, but some players also play their best hockey after them.

Now I'm not going to be ignorant like you and keep suggesting you ae flat out wrong, but you are not completely right and there are holes in your evidence.

Stamkos did not have his 2nd best season at 31 years old... It was his 5th best season. And if you account for projections in a lockout shortened season and an injury shortened season, it was actually his 7th best season.

If anything, Stamkos is a perfect example of literally what I am saying. 5 of his 7 best seasons happened before he turned 23 years old. 6 of his 7 before 28.

Since his 28 year old season, he's had 2 of his worst seasons of his career. Last year was a strong year and now so far this year he's tracking to have another well below average year.

Just like I said. Exceptions to the rules can happen. A player can buck the trends by a couple years, a player can have an "out of nowhere" good season despite being over 30. Those aren't the "normal" and teams are very well aware of the aging curve.

Funny enough Bo Horvat follows the trend as well:

Horvats best season came when he was 22 years old and he has pretty much stagnated every year since then. He's on pace to have his best season of his career this year... But you're running into the dangers of both a very small sample size(Not even 20% of a season yet) and the very real and well documented contract year boost.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bo has the best year of his career this year, but teams will be extremely cautious about the fact its coming in a contract year and coming after 4 years of stagnated play.

EDIT: Those links are probably behind a paywall. So take my word for it, or dont.

There's nothing mythic about a 27 year old being a young man, lol. He's just as close to 25 as he is to 30. Good grief.

....In the grand scheme of life, sure 27 is obviously quite young. In the NHL, 27 is not young. :laugh:

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Stamkos did not have his 2nd best season at 31 years old... It was his 5th best season. And if you account for projections in a lockout shortened season and an injury shortened season, it was actually his 7th best season.

If anything, Stamkos is a perfect example of literally what I am saying. 5 of his 7 best seasons happened before he turned 23 years old. 6 of his 7 before 28.

Since his 28 year old season, he's had 2 of his worst seasons of his career. Last year was a strong year and now so far this year he's tracking to have another well below average year.

Just like I said. Exceptions to the rules can happen. A player can buck the trends by a couple years, a player can have an "out of nowhere" good season despite being over 30. Those aren't the "normal" and teams are very well aware of the aging curve.

Funny enough Bo Horvat follows the trend as well:

Horvats best season came when he was 22 years old and he has pretty much stagnated every year since then. He's on pace to have his best season of his career this year... But you're running into the dangers of both a very small sample size(Not even 20% of a season yet) and the very real and well documented contract year boost.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bo has the best year of his career this year, but teams will be extremely cautious about the fact its coming in a contract year and coming after 4 years of stagnated play.

EDIT: Those links are probably behind a paywall. So take my word for it, or dont.

....In the grand scheme of life, sure 27 is obviously quite young. In the NHL, 27 is not young. :laugh:
Horvat was 23 when he put up 27g34a and his next 3 season after were all better years with this now starting to be his best ever.

I'd say 42g and 106 pts with a +24 is easily Stamkos' 3rd best season, I'd argue 2nd best (depending on if you want to put his 51g44a season ahead of it) and every time he had a big injury and missed some time, it took him awhile to get back into the swing of things.

Agin that ONE SINGLE stat (WAR) you show only paints a small picture, but you keep posting like it is the be all end all.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Horvat was 23 when he put up 27g34a and his next 3 season after were all better years with this now starting to be his best ever.

I'd say 42g and 106 pts with a +24 is easily Stamkos' 3rd best season, I'd argue 2nd best (depending on if you want to put his 51g44a season ahead of it) and every time he had a big injury and missed some time, it took him awhile to get back into the swing of things.

Agin that ONE SINGLE stat (WAR) you show only paints a small picture, but you keep posting like it is the be all end all.

:laugh: You're using points to determine the quality of a season.

I think we are done here.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The value of these aren’t bad outside of the Myers one.

No team is eating that full contract for free. He’s not playing like he’s worth anywhere near 6m per. The fact he has another year on the deal only further complicates that.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Can we work Schenn in too?
I get some VAN fans want to keep him but he could always be re-signed next year if he's ready to continue his team leader/veteran role with the Canucks.

I think most Panther fans would easily do this, Hornqvist looks dead out there, worn out and bloated caphit.
Cousins hasn't been very good either but scored the other night.
Wouldn't be missed.

What's Schenn's value?
You need prospects? F or D?
Florida a tad dry on picks haha
Both Pearson and the returning pieces are all, even combined, worth less to us then Schenn is.

Cousins, Hornquist and a third are something we could only afford to do depending on other trades, as we simply don't have the cap hit for the differences between Pearson and Hornquist. I would very much do the trade if it were my call, but without other moves, it'll be a tough fit for 6+ million coming in for both players with only Pearson's 3.25 going out.

Schenn is a top four D for us, and at that cap hit, we're happy running his contract out and seeing if he's interested in resigning. He's probably our best defensive D, and definitely our most physical, in addition to being a key locker room guy and on ice leader. We don't need more forwards, we only need D that would be an improvement on Schenn (ie not more bottom pairing guys). Prospects or picks are really what we'd be looking for, and the improvement over Cousins and/or the third would make it really, really unattractive to any interested team.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
...Bo Horvat is certainly not a young C
and please tell me which teams would trade a "young C" with 13 goals in 11 games with an ELC contract? Has there been any precedent? 27 is not old so I dont get your logic here? There would be literally no team trading superstar young Cs for what you would be looking for and Horvat is very close to that.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Statistically this isn't true. Players peak at about 28-29 years old. Horvat turns 28 in April so his next contract will almost entirely be in the downswing of his career.

Now, a UFA at 28 is certainly a better age then what most UFAs who hit the open market and sign for big money are(They're usually ~30) so in that sense he should be better value then your typical UFA signing... But that doesn't mean it will be good and if he gets a 7-8 year contract, without question the back half of that deal will not be good for whoever signs him.

He's much, much closer to being an old center then he is a young center, for sure.

See above.

27 is not young anymore, that's a common myth that's existed for a while that isn't true. Bo has 1, maybe 2 more years of top tier play before he begins a decline. A "young" center would be like 21 or 22 years old.
Players are not robots that work until 28 or 29 then their battery degrades and you have to replace them. There are some players that hit their prime at 31 and some that hit their peak at 23. This is not some kind of mathematic formula that you can just apply to all players. Its a very stupid take, as you assume everything is static and not dynamic. He could be like Jagr and play til he is 50 years old. You dont know that.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Another fact is there is no team dumb enough to trade 20 year old center that still have ELC contracts. I dont know why some posters think that teams are trading 20 year old centers and Horvat is not ideal. Almost 99% of trades usually involve players that are 25 and above and have gone through their ELC contracts. The rest could be prospects that arent panning out or are part of a big trade. So please stop with this Horvat is not young non-sense because most trades usually involve players of his age or much older.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Don’t mind us Canucks fans we’re stuck in 2018 with our budding “young core”

Evidently :laugh:

I like Horvat and want Colorado to trade for him and would even pay a hefty price, but calling him young is just flat out wrong. He's at the end of his prime, has probably 1-2 years left before regression begins. Just a question of how significant that regression is.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

WAR in hockey is such a f***ed up stat. It's great for baseball, where's it's super easy to isolate a player from the rest of his teammates, but in hockey? Much more muddled. I hate how it's become the go to for peoples arguments.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Evidently :laugh:

I like Horvat and want Colorado to trade for him and would even pay a hefty price, but calling him young is just flat out wrong. He's at the end of his prime, has probably 1-2 years left before regression begins. Just a question of how significant that regression is.
So just so I'm clear then, being old begins at what age? 25 according to the graph you provided?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So just so I'm clear then, being old begins at what age? 25 according to the graph you provided?

I didn't say Horvat was old fyi. All I said was that he wasn't young and that he's much closer to being considered old.

In terms of a players prime years... it is getting younger and younger. For most, ~23/24 is when you start to hit your peak. Then you get ~4 years of maintaining that peak, then a decline will start around 28, give or take a year or two and there's always exceptions to the rule.

Personally I would say if you're over 25 you absolutely are not "young" anymore. 30 would be the mark where I would say a player is old.

Nathan Mackinnon isn't young anymore. Connor McDavid has over 500 games played. He isn't young. They're both in the midst of their peaks(For Mackinnon he's just about out of his).

Jack Hughes and Trevor Zegras are examples of truly young Centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad