Proposal: Canucks re-tool

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Since Rutherford and Allvin are against blowing this thing up, here is my idea on how the Canucks could free up some cap space moving forward and pick up some picks to try and re-shape the roster

To NYI:
Brock Boeser
Jett Woo

To VAN:
Anthony Beauvillier
Grant Hutton
Samuel Bolduc
2023 2nd round pick

NYI gets their 30 goal scorer to pair with Barzal. Canucks clear 2.5M in cap space moving forward and pick up a lesser roster player, B prospect, late 2nd, and potential Schenn replacement.

To NJD:
Travis Dermott

To VAN:
2024 3rd round pick

NJ upgrades on Brendan Smith. for the 3LD role. Canucks clear up more of the logjam on D. Dermott has been decent for us but the pick is more important at this time.

Now for pure fantasy deals that have no chance in hell in coming to fruition:

To BUF:
Tyler Myers

To VAN:
Future considerations

Buffalo gets to fill the hole on thier RHD in return for their 6M unusued cap space for this season and next.

To COL:
Bo Horvat 1.5M retained

To VAN:
JT Compher
Jean Luc Foudy
2023 1st round pick
2025 2nd round pick

Colorado gets their 2C rental for a B- prospect a late 1st and a distant 2nd.

To FLA:
Tanner Pearson

To VAN:
Nick Cousins
Patrick Hornqvist
2025 3rd round pick

FLA becomes cap compliant when Duclair returns in the next 1-2 months at the cost of 2M next year and a 3rd. Canucks open up 2M cap space next year and pick up a mid pick in exchange for the extra cap created from the previous deals

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It looks like Myers has been terrible again this season, so I'm not sure it's a good idea for Buffalo. I prefer Dahlin, Jokiharju and Lyubushkin on right side than Myers.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
If we move Horvat I hope he goes to Carolina, think that would be a good fit and the Hurricanes need to make a push to try and go all the way! Can maybe re sign Bo also, they have Pacioretty and his 7m coming off the books as well as some other players

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
It looks like Myers has been terrible again this season, so I'm not sure it's a good idea for Buffalo. I prefer Dahlin, Jokiharju and Lyubushkin on right side than Myers.
Myers has been good at 5v5 but bad on the PK. We also have the worst PK Coach in the history of the NHL and all our players look lost on it...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Myers has been good at 5v5 but bad on the PK. We also have the worst PK Coach in the history of the NHL and all our players look lost on it...
Maybe, not have seen much of his play this season, but I read Canucks board yesterday and there were, to put it mildly, not good comments about Myers' play.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
If you make that trade for Horvat, you may as well just call it a full rebuild.

You have to get Newhook or some other asset for a young C that is scoring like he is.

Or target something based around Girard? Although having a D pairing with an average height of 5'4" is probably not ideal.

• Haha
Reactions: zcaptain

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Maybe, not have seen much of his play this season, but I read Canucks board yesterday and there were, to put it mildly, not good comments about Myers' play.
Because he makes 6m and should be making 5m. Most fans were happy with him the last couple years. Us Canucks fans are easily the hardest on our players in the league. We even have fans saying the Boeser would cost multiple 1sts to dump, despite having 8 points in 10 games. He hasn't scored yet, but his passing game is better, and he doesn't float in his own end. He just doesn't have the foot speed fans want so they dump on him.

You shoulda read he boards about Pettersson last season before he started playing lights out. We are a VERY "What have you done for me recently" fan base.

Reactions: zcaptain and Fjordy

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If you make that trade for Horvat, you may as well just call it a full rebuild.

You have to get Newhook or some other asset for a young C that is scoring like he is.

Or target something based around Girard? Although having a D pairing with an average height of 5'4" is probably not ideal.
...Bo Horvat is certainly not a young C

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Not awful proposals but there's still a lot of room for negotiations.

I don't think the Islanders trade away Bolduc AND the pick; Jett Woo isn't really much of anything at this point. Beauvillier+2nd is fair.
McDermott maybe gets a 4th. Myers is untouchable, so that one is a no go. The Avs trade for Horvat, take out the distant 2nd.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
For once why don't people just post the players available and let the fans of their teams say what they would give up. If someone's 2nds it from that fanbase maybe you have an idea what the market might be vs all this I want your prized ELC for our overpaid floundering player.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Now for pure fantasy deals that have no chance in hell in coming to fruition:

To BUF:
Tyler Myers

To VAN:
Future considerations

Buffalo gets to fill the hole on thier RHD in return for their 6M unusued cap space for this season and next.
While I can see the argument for the move, i think there is pretty much zero chance Adams goes for this. When Samuelsson and Jokiharju are back in a couple of weeks, Myers would be in the pressbox. That is a very expensive 7th defender, signed for another year.

Unless someone goes down long-term, I doubt Buffalo would take on that contract. And even then, I think it might take serious retention for a sub-par return. Adams has zero job pressure right now, so the chance of him making a risky move for high priced contracts is almost non-existent.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
At 27 he also is not old. He is in prime years and has several more after this for whoever signs him as a UFA.
That doesn’t mean he’ll sign with the team he’s traded to. Right now he has rental value. Judging from the ongoing contract drama in Vancouver he’s looking to cash in big time.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Because he makes 6m and should be making 5m. Most fans were happy with him the last couple years. Us Canucks fans are easily the hardest on our players in the league. We even have fans saying the Boeser would cost multiple 1sts to dump, despite having 8 points in 10 games. He hasn't scored yet, but his passing game is better, and he doesn't float in his own end. He just doesn't have the foot speed fans want so they dump on him.

You shoulda read he boards about Pettersson last season before he started playing lights out. We are a VERY "What have you done for me recently" fan base.
This is true. But Myers has been objectively horrific this year at even strength as well.

I'm vehemently against waiving Boeser or similar 'agh blow it up no matter what' moves. I'm okay moving Boeser, but not just for the sake of dumping him.

Myers, I would drive to the airport. He was good last year, this year I genuinely think he has been the worst D in the league.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
That doesn’t mean he’ll sign with the team he’s traded to. Right now he has rental value. Judging from the ongoing contract drama in Vancouver he’s looking to cash in big time.
You're right (for teams like Colorado) But most fans point to an old player becoming UFA and say "That's his value" or a lesser player and say "That's his value". Bo is currently 2nd in the NHL for goals and will likely hit 40g this year based on how his pace is expected to slow down (his 66g pace is not sustainable). The package to land him will be rather big, and whatever team acquires him will most definitely try to re-sign him and shed some cap if they succeed. There have been talks of bubble teams wanting him just so they have the inside edge on re-signing him in addition to having him for a playoff push. I would wager 15-20 teams look to see if they can get a deal done this year for him. We will only hear about 5 of them, and the one he goes to won't be one of the 5.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
At 27 he also is not old. He is in prime years and has several more after this for whoever signs him as a UFA.

Statistically this isn't true. Players peak at about 28-29 years old. Horvat turns 28 in April so his next contract will almost entirely be in the downswing of his career.

Now, a UFA at 28 is certainly a better age then what most UFAs who hit the open market and sign for big money are(They're usually ~30) so in that sense he should be better value then your typical UFA signing... But that doesn't mean it will be good and if he gets a 7-8 year contract, without question the back half of that deal will not be good for whoever signs him.

He's much, much closer to being an old center then he is a young center, for sure.

Like.....27 year old Bo Horvat? Are you thinking of Steve Horvat?
See above.

27 is not young anymore, that's a common myth that's existed for a while that isn't true. Bo has 1, maybe 2 more years of top tier play before he begins a decline. A "young" center would be like 21 or 22 years old.

• Haha
Reactions: Canuck86

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Statistically this isn't true. Players peak at about 28-29 years old. Horvat turns 28 in April so his next contract will almost entirely be in the downswing of his career.

Now, a UFA at 28 is certainly a better age then what most UFAs who hit the open market and sign for big money are(They're usually ~30) so in that sense he should be better value then your typical UFA signing... But that doesn't mean it will be good and if he gets a 7-8 year contract, without question the back half of that deal will not be good for whoever signs him.

He's much, much closer to being an old center then he is a young center, for sure.

See above.

27 is not young anymore, that's a common myth that's existed for a while that isn't true. Bo has 1, maybe 2 more years of top tier play before he begins a decline. A "young" center would be like 21 or 22 years old.
Totally fine with the idea that prime years are younger than ever before, but that's what the acquiring team would already have evaluated at the time of the trade. They would factor in the number of "prime years" and the number of "above/average" and potentially even "detriment years".

In the case of Horvat, maybe you aren't getting a full slate of prime years, but you aren't getting many (if any) detrimental years (assuming a contract extension).
You are getting a few prime years, and a few good to average years. There's still a ton of value there. If you were trading for all prime years then the price would be astronomical, not just high.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015

See above.

This is a terrible take and you seem to think it is gospel. We can take a look at the top 50 and there are a lot of 30+, top 100 has about 25-30 30+ players.

Bo has about 4 or 5 good years after this one in him, and those years are all most teams get for a window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad