Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign W Nils Hoglander to 3y/3m AAV Contract

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gotta imagine this means they're leaning towards Hoglander back on Pettersson's wing over Sprong.
I dont think it will take long before Sprong or Heinen gets bumped for Hoglander. Even if it just keeps a fire under their asses it makes us deeper and better.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Eh… would have used him as a trade chip. This org has had misses when it comes to signings like Mikheyev and Kuz.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Was curious if he might be the guy who gets bumped when everyone is healthy, but have to assume that is not the plan with this commitment. Hoglander should be a good player but this still feels like a risky bet.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Very surprised that they extended him.

Not a completely unreasonable gamble but I would've preferred to trade him at the end of the season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You think he's going to regress to worse than his rookie season?

That's just a bad take lmao.

His SH% was unsustainable and he’s behind more depth than he was last year.

He’s a poor defensive player and is basically a smaller Sprong with some agitator in his game.

Healthy scratch in the playoffs and we haven’t seen him in an NHL game since then. I have no idea why we would sign this contract right now. It’s basically the Baertschi special.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
With the way the cap is going, and potentially even more expansion, which would raise league revenue again, this contract is a solid bet by the management IMO.

Even if he cools off, his work ethic will make him a valueable asset on the ice, and you can never pay too much for effort.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
24 goals and even if he doesn’t hit it again his contract was always going to reflect 24 goals. It’s a fair deal and potentially a great one

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
It's jumping the gun for sure. It says something that management is willing to do this move, there must be something they really like about him. I would've preferred that they do this closer to the end of the season since I don't see a huge breakout with so many middle6 wingers. Does that mean he plays with EP40 then? 3 million on the 3rd and 4th lines with Garland and Joshua seems mighty excessive.

If I had to guess, I think he had so much interest from other clubs that they believe this deal would only add to his value as a trade chip when all is said and done.

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
If he scores 14 goals this year and we sign him next summer his contract would not reflect 24 goals.
Maybe he won’t last long enough, in a Van uniform, for that to be proven true. A larger plan may explain the signing (which does seem early).

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
His SH% was unsustainable and he’s behind more depth than he was last year.

He’s a poor defensive player and is basically a smaller Sprong with some agitator in his game.

Healthy scratch in the playoffs and we haven’t seen him in an NHL game since then. I have no idea why we would sign this contract right now. It’s basically the Baertschi special.
He's ten times the forechecker and tight-quarters player that Sprong is and a much better defensive player.

Reactions: sting101 and Peen

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Got to be on the fence with this one. Don't think this player has fully proven himself. Did get to the net and score last season but Sven Baertschi-like in other areas of the ice.

One thing contract avoids is an offer sheet that might have been in-coming if he has a big upgrade in play this season. Ounce of prevention .... and so on

Every cent is going to count with the OEL buyout going up and this might be a little high. Still the Canucks need players under contract moving ahead.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Bleh, not a fan of this. As others have said he's likely to regress offensively (or in terms of scoring), and his play this past playoffs was concerning (2 points in 11 games on the 2nd line).

This feels like a high risk, low reward extension for an undersized RFA winger that they absolutely could have waited to re-sign.
Plus he's competing with Sprong and Sherwood for a spot on that 2nd line, and if he gets edged out he falls to the 4th line (assuming a healthy lineup).

Reactions: MS

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hm, interesting

Something’s got to give here. Filling out next year’s team with guys around the minimum (Willander, Bains, Raty, etc.) - the team is ~1.9MM over the cap if you re-sign Brock around 8MM, which seems conservative if he scores a lot again.

The one you look at is Garland, who’d be a pending UFA for 2026. Or, Myers - but NMC. Regardless, it’d likely have to be someone making 3+

They’ve got to be really smart with their cap structure in these OEL buyout years. Willander, Lekkerimaki, Raty - kind of need them all to be ready to go in not insignificant roles next year.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
tenor.gif

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hm, interesting

Something’s got to give here. Filling out next year’s team with guys around the minimum (Willander, Bains, Raty, etc.) - the team is ~1.9MM over the cap if you re-sign Brock around 8MM, which seems conservative if he scores a lot again.

The one you look at is Garland, who’d be a pending UFA for 2026. Or, Myers - but NMC. Regardless, it’d likely have to be someone making 3+

They’ve got to be really smart with their cap structure in these OEL buyout years. Willander, Lekkerimaki, Raty - kind of need them all to be ready to go in not insignificant roles next year.
The more I think about it, it’s getting clearer that management is forecasting out the plan into pretty fine detail into 2025-2026. The two big decisions going into that season are Garland and Demko, and there’s a real world where both of them are not on this team at the end of that period.

Boeser is another one before then, but this one is a more telegraphed re-signing coming IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad