Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign W Nils Hoglander to 3y/3m AAV Contract

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I could totally see him replacing Garland in the future if that’s the route they prefer to take. Similar skill sets.

It really depends on how high they value him and what they think his role will be going forward. There’s also a good chance he’s trade bait considering he’s really one of our only moveable players when we inevitably trade for a top 4 D man.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m expecting a major regression from Hoglander this year and do not like this deal at all.

If he’s sitting at 10-10-20 at the deadline he’s now basically a negative-value asset. To me this is a guy we should be squeezing the cheap value years out of and then moving on.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I'm not quite sure as to management's logic here. Is he sort of an internal replacement for Suter - a guy who can slot up and down the lineup as a complementary piece? But if that's the case, that's a big jump in caphit from 1.6M to 3M.

I guess they're gambling that Hogs finds another gear and cements himself in the top6. But given his hockey IQ, that's a pretty risky bet.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I’m expecting a major regression from Hoglander this year and do not like this deal at all.

If he’s sitting at 10-10-20 at the deadline he’s now basically a negative-value asset. To me this is a guy we should be squeezing the cheap value years out of and then moving on.
Same thought as well. He faded down the stretch and in the playoffs and was ineffective in the middle of the ice. PDG looked like a better option in the playoffs.

You just wonder if he can elevate his game in high intensity games.

Reactions: dez and MS

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013

You think he's going to regress to worse than his rookie season?

That's just a bad take lmao.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I personally like the deal. Hoglander had 24 goals last season while not having the trust of his coach. Hoglander came into Canucks camp in terrific shape "dominating in many of the skating drills", I think he potentially could breakout this season being quite possibly a 25 goal 25 assist guy. This deal could pan out very well and is still easily tradable with the age and potential Hogs has. I think this deal is a good gamble by GM Allvin.

So far I'm liking this Sunday as a Canucks fan, so I shall crack another beer.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Same thought as well. He faded down the stretch and in the playoffs and was ineffective in the middle of the ice. PDG looked like a better option in the playoffs.

Hughes also looked bad in his first playoffs during the bubble series.

Should we have traded him back then lmao.

It's wild that this place complains all the time about having a lack of homegrown talent on the team, and the moment we have a player we develop internally succeed, they immediately want to dump them.

Pick a lane boys.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Playoffs ugly for sure, and unsustainable shooting % in the regular season. But the unsustainable shooting didn't result in average third-line production, it resulted in 24 ES goals. I think the contract is in the ballpark.
Does he have any trade protection?

These were all RFA seasons so he wasn't eligible for trade protection.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
You think he's going to regress to worse than his rookie season?

That's just a bad take lmao.
Scoring wise he already has lol.

Hughes also looked bad in his first playoffs during the bubble series.

Should we have traded him back then lmao.

It's wild that this place complains all the time about having a lack of homegrown talent on the team, and the moment we have a player we develop internally succeed, they immediately want to dump them.

Pick a lane boys.
What? Hughes was not bad in his 1st playoff series at all. .

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Gotta imagine this means they're leaning towards Hoglander back on Pettersson's wing over Sprong.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I think the deal is fine. There's a lot of "wait and see" with this one as far as coming to a conclusion. That's not necessary the best way to do business but for me as a fan I'm content to wait and see. It's not bad right now and it's not amazing either. Let's see how he does.

Reactions: Blue and Green

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Interesting gamble

On 1 hand Hoglander has shown to be a massive pain in the ass to play against scores 24 and shows he can play a Marchand light game and then at times he just doesn't see the ice that well and struggles to make any traction like last years playoffs.

Not a fan of paying 2 plus million to middle six guys who can't have some impact in heavy hockey. Did show a little growth by the end of the playoffs last year and it certainly didn't help with Mikhayev and Pettersson struggling so?

Has looked fantastic in camp and should be able to push Heinen Sprong when they struggle or they shorten the bench. Huge fan of Hogs but he needs to start being more of an agitator and a little more stiff against some of the after whistle crap

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
So if they didn’t sign him, and he repeated the performance of last year’s regulars season (say), he’d have arbitration rights and a good case for more than $3m. Agree?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
The guy puts up 24 goals. The coach and management sent him off to work on things this offseason. He comes back in, according to Tocchet, the best shape on the team. He had a solid preseason so they decide to gamble. I like it. He is young and talented. Hopeful that he gives us 25+ going forward.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Weird timing, to say the least. I guess they believe in the player and like his growth?

He has good hands and a solid work ethic. Everything else can be taught.

Still RFA at the end of the contract.

No, this will walk him to right to UFA - he'll have been a pro for 7 years at the end.

Does he have any trade protection?

No, this will cover his remaining RFA years, so no trade protection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad