Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers to 3y/3m Contract

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Adam Larsson is on a 1 year, $4M dollar contract for next season. He's on Seattle who will not be contending. It's a mismanaged organization.

That's the Zadorov target for next season, meanwhile Myers is a perfect 3rd pair for playoffs.

Larsson would be a nice get but I imagine there will be a number of suitors leading up to the deadline

Reactions: Bleach Clean

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the problem is larsson is gonna be expensive to both acquire and re-sign. he'd probably cost similar to lindholm in trade value. can the canucks afford to give up a first and a prospect like brzustewicz for another rental?

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don’t think that even at his worst has Myers been as bad as that clown was during his time in Vancouver. And certainly never ran his mouth spewing the idiotic garbage that Gudbranson did.

The two shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. TFM has his brainfarts, but when he's on his game, he's very good.

Guddy flat out sucked ass and was one of the most unlikable blowhards to ever play for this team. Just a total f***ikg douchebag.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The money is fine based on his play last season but just wish they could have kept it down to 2 years.

That said, if we need to dump him in the final year it shouldn't be too expensive to do so.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The two shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. TFM has his brainfarts, but when he's on his game, he's very good.

Guddy flat out sucked ass and was one of the most unlikable blowhards to ever play for this team. Just a total f***ikg douchebag.
Gudbranson made dozens of millions of dollars for little reason other than being a big Canadian who likes to punch people in the face and occasionally skate. He had maybe one season in Calgary where he wasn't an AHL-tier player but kept scamming GMs over and over.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
This will probably be the best per dollar value rhd signing this offseason. Get him to the third pair by the playoffs.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Gudbranson made dozens of millions of dollars for little reason other than being a big Canadian who likes to punch people in the face and occasionally skate. He had maybe one season in Calgary where he wasn't an AHL-tier player but kept scamming GMs over and over.
Gudbranson with us did not care to punch anyone in the face.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The money is fine based on his play last season but just wish they could have kept it down to 2 years.

That said, if we need to dump him in the final year it shouldn't be too expensive to do so.
Friedman mentioned that Tanev and the leafs are talking 6 years at $4 mill per. The $4 mill is fine but darn til he’s 40? Robidias island down the line I guess.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With free agency frenzy out of the way, I don't think Van was going to do a lot better.

Tanev, 6 years... Wow... Robidas Island. Who would have guess Tanev would be basically a 10 year $4.5 mill player when he left?
Pesce, no surprise to me he went to NJ, as he's from the NE USA. 6 years at $5.5 mill mill. Thought he'd get more, but didn't play as well this past season.
Montour, yeah, not paying him $50 mill over 7 years.
Walker was reasonable, but ended up in Carolina at under $4 mill. Carrier stayed in Nash also at under $4 mill.
Dumba, 2 years at $3.75 mill per with Dallas.

Reactions: mathonwy

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
With free agency frenzy out of the way, I don't think Van was going to do a lot better.

Tanev, 6 years... Wow... Robidas Island. Who would have guess Tanev would be basically a 10 year $4.5 mill player when he left?
Pesce, no surprise to me he went to NJ, as he's from the NE USA. 6 years at $5.5 mill mill. Thought he'd get more, but didn't play as well this past season.
Montour, yeah, not paying him $50 mill over 7 years.
Walker was reasonable, but ended up in Carolina at under $4 mill. Carrier stayed in Nash also at under $4 mill.
Dumba, 2 years at $3.75 mill per with Dallas.
The terms being thrown out are crazy. We got hit with the cap recapture penalty based on Luongo not being expected to play until he was in his 40s. Now you have Tanev being paid until he is in his 40s.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s not a 35+ contract. Probably structured to make it less likely he continues on once he gets older. Robidias Island. Figure he finishes it as a ltir. I’d say the same for Slvin who begins his 8 year deal at 31.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
wether you love him or hate him, (his game improved this past season) you have to admit....

that the way the free agency went this year.... we kinda lucked out with 3x3. Myers would have gotten more if he reached free agency. no doubt. the same with Dakota Joshua. I feel he would have gotten more easily.

gotta give props for Alvin on this one. 3x3 for Myers on a Free agency is a no go.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If you'd said a few years ago that Tyler Myers would likely finish his career as a Canuck, I'd have laughed until I cried.

But here we are......Myers back for three more years at $3m a season. And he deserved a new deal, even though it's half of what he was earning.

But that was the problem. Benning defied the pundits around the league and signed him to that ridiculous five year contract at $6m a season. Everybody knew (except for Jimbo apparently) that the guy simply isn't a top-four d-man on even a mediocre team like the Canucks were.

But Myers stuck with it and is now in a perfect spot for him and the Canucks. His contract is now good value for a guy who can round out your 5-6 on defense, and jump briefly in to the top-four if there are any injuries.

So the 'Tyler Myers redemption tour of duty' is firmly underway in VanCity.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
If you'd said a few years ago that Tyler Myers would likely finish his career as a Canuck, I'd have laughed until I cried.

But here we are......Myers back for three more years at $3m a season. And he deserved a new deal, even though it's half of what he was earning.

But that was the problem. Benning defied the pundits around the league and signed him to that ridiculous five year contract at $6m a season. Everybody knew (except for Jimbo apparently) that the guy simply isn't a top-four d-man on even a mediocre team like the Canucks were.

But Myers stuck with it and is now in a perfect spot for him and the Canucks. His contract is now good value for a guy who can round out your 5-6 on defense, and jump briefly in to the top-four if there are any injuries.

So the 'Tyler Myers redemption tour of duty' is firmly underway in VanCity.

Huh? Going into free agency in 2019, pretty much everyone expected Myers was going to get paid. It was pretty universally expected to end up being a bad deal, but everyone knew someone would pay him.

Reactions: F A N and Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Huh? Going into free agency in 2019, pretty much everyone expected Myers was going to get paid. It was pretty universally expected to end up being a bad deal, but everyone knew someone would pay him.
Early in his career as a Canuck, Myers was a lightning rod for everything that had gone wrong with the franchise. And the more they played him and tried to move him up in the blueline lineup, the worse he played.

He clearly wasn't comfortable or happy; and Canuck fans were less than enthralled with him.

But that wasn't uncommon for a lot of Canuck d-men in those days--particularly the guys Benning signed as UFA's. They all immediately posted some of their worst career numbers. Vancouver was a d-man graveyard.

So seeing where Myers is today, you have to feel good for him and the Canucks.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Early in his career as a Canuck, Myers was a lightning rod for everything that had gone wrong with the franchise. And the more they played him and tried to move him up in the blueline lineup, the worse he played.

He clearly wasn't comfortable or happy; and Canuck fans were less than enthralled with him.

But that wasn't uncommon for a lot of Canuck d-men in those days--particularly the guys Benning signed as UFA's. They all immediately posted some of their worst career numbers. Vancouver was a d-man graveyard.

So seeing where Myers is today, you have to feel good for him and the Canucks.

The f*** does that have to do with my post?

Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The f*** does that have to do with my post?
Sorry....but if you really believe that any other team in the NHL, other than Benning's Canucks, would have offered Myers a five year contract at $6m a season, then you're living in fantasyland. Clearly the Jets couldn't wait for his contract to end.

It was a terrible contract the day it was signed. And sadly for the Canucks, there was only one GM like Benning in the entire NHL at the time.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sorry....but if you really believe that any other team in the NHL, other than Benning's Canucks, would have offered Myers a five year contract at $6m a season, then you're living in fantasyland. Clearly the Jets couldn't wait for his contract to end.

It was a terrible contract the day it was signed. And sadly for the Canucks, there was only one GM like Benning in the entire NHL at the time.

Are you joking?

Tyler Myers will get way too much money​

This one already seems like a given at this point in time. Some of the projected contracts that have been floated around Myers' name have been totally absurd, with the rumored ask being around $7 million a year or more.

If Myers sniffs even close to that number on an AAV it will be a massive overpay, especially if he gets significant term on the deal. The Winnipeg Jets want to keep him (it's part of the reason they traded Jacob Trouba to the New York Rangers for pennies on the dollar) but they may not be able to afford him at this rate, and that could be a blessing.

Myers is a decent defenseman and he might be able to provide immediate help to a team that wants some defensive depth, but he's not particularly great in any area of his game. He's okay offensively but is a notable liability in his own end and doesn't fare well against top competition.

At the end of the day, he's a second-or-third-pairing defenseman who is most likely going to get paid like a first-pairing guy for some wild reason. (Spoiler: it's largely because he's 6-foot-8.) His contract will be an albatross for whichever team is dumb or desperate enough to hand it out.
Fantasy

2. Tyler Myers — A former Calder Trophy winner (2010), the 29-year-old Myers played a significant role helping the Winnipeg Jets become a perennial playoff contender. The 6-foot-8, 229-pounder averages over 20 minutes of ice time per game and netted 31 points this season. The Vancouver Canucks reportedly already met with Myers on Monday. They won't be the only club pursuing the big blueliner.
Land

8. TYLER MYERS, D, 28
2018-19 cap hit: $5,500,000

Hasn’t become the dominant force that his 2009-10 Calder Trophy promised but, in such a thin market for defensemen, his mobility and massive wingspan will be coveted. The term “overpaid” isn’t a player’s fault. It happens when there’s a big demand for a low-supply service, which is what we’ll have with Myers. He thus might make more money than many people expect.
Fantasy

Land

The team signed Tyler Myers to a five-year deal with an AAV of $6 million. Myers’ deal carries with it a no-movement clause that goes away after the 2019-20 season, meaning he will not require protection in the Seattle expansion draft. This is a contract that benefits the Canucks, as Myers is a quality defenceman who can give them a much needed offensive boost on the back end.
Fantasy

Pending UFA D Tyler Myers will meet/speak with a handful of teams over the next week, starting with a visit in Vancouver on Sunday. The Myers camp waiting to hear back from the Jets as well
Land

According to TSN’s Frank Seravalli, Tyler Myers is expected to sign a five-year deal worth about $30 million with the Canucks once NHL free agency opens.

This is a bit lower than most people expected with Myers. There were some reports that he was going to get at least $7 million a year, which is insane. But even at $6 million, Myers is a bit expensive and overpaid.
Fantasy

But $6m for five years isn't really an 'over-payment' and for a team as starved for blueline talent as the Canucks, it's really hard to argue with, even if he isn't an everyday top-four guy.
LAND

The so-called hockey minds on the Networks have pretty consistently labeled the signing of Myers one of poorest value contacts of the July 1st period. But I think that's a bit harsh, and is based on the underlying analytics of his time in Winnipeg.

But when you have a blueline as bad as the Canucks, you have to take a swing at a veteran guy like Myers. And if you do that on July 1st, you're inevitably going to overpay.

And five years for Myers at $6m per is a lot more palatable than Eriksson at $6m for six years. If you're gong to overpay, better to do it for a d-man than a winger.
Fantasy

I'm OK with the price for Myers....basically only $500,000 more than he was making with the Jets. He may have taken a bit of home-town discount to sign with VanCity.

Hockey pundits and Jet-watchers aren't convinced that he's a legitimate top-four guy, but on the Canuck he'll have to be.
Land

Also, I still don't understand what your previous reply has to do with the post you quoted, and this last one also doesn't explain it.

But, also, you literally thought that contract was Myers taking a discount. What are you talking about?

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only way that Myers contract would ever have worked in Vancouver, is if he'd been a legitimate top-our defenseman.

But he wasn't....not from the get-go. I suppose back in the day there was grounds for some optimism. But as the years wound down, it was increasingly obvious it was an awful contract--just like Louie Eriksson's before him.

So I could care less what all the talking heads were saying at the time. TSN had Myers on 'their do not sign list' . And they were right.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The only way that Myers contract would ever have worked in Vancouver, is if he'd been a legitimate top-our defenseman.

But he wasn't....not from the get-go. I suppose back in the day there was grounds for some optimism. But as the years wound down, it was increasingly obvious it was an awful contract--just like Louie Eriksson's before him.

So I could care less what all the talking heads were saying at the time. TSN had Myers on 'their do not sign list' . And they were right.

But $6m for five years isn't really an 'over-payment' and for a team as starved for blueline talent as the Canucks, it's really hard to argue with, even if he isn't an everyday top-four guy.

The so-called hockey minds on the Networks have pretty consistently labeled the signing of Myers one of poorest value contacts of the July 1st period. But I think that's a bit harsh, and is based on the underlying analytics of his time in Winnipeg.

But when you have a blueline as bad as the Canucks, you have to take a swing at a veteran guy like Myers. And if you do that on July 1st, you're inevitably going to overpay.

And five years for Myers at $6m per is a lot more palatable than Eriksson at $6m for six years. If you're gong to overpay, better to do it for a d-man than a winger.

I'm OK with the price for Myers....basically only $500,000 more than he was making with the Jets. He may have taken a bit of home-town discount to sign with VanCity.

Hockey pundits and Jet-watchers aren't convinced that he's a legitimate top-four guy, but on the Canuck he'll have to be.

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Are you A.I?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad