Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers to 3y/3m Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ngl i am pretty distraught about this

i was really hoping for a second pair of zad being babysat by tanev, which obviously isn’t happening now

but also it kind of feels like when we were finally almost at the end of eriksson, beagle, and roussel’s deals and then benning traded them for umpteen years of OEL. not nearly as disastrous but the feeling is the same.

Reactions: Regal and mriswith

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
ngl i am pretty distraught about this

i was really hoping for a second pair of zad being babysat by tanev, which obviously isn’t happening now

but also it kind of feels like when we were finally almost at the end of eriksson, beagle, and roussel’s deals and then benning traded them for umpteen years of OEL. not nearly as disastrous but the feeling is the same.

I suppose Zadorov/Tanev is still possible if we strike out on Guentzel/other big fish.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I suppose Zadorov/Tanev is still possible if we strike out on Guentzel/other big fish.
I dont like that Myers was prioritized over these guys. If you strike out on big fish or Zadorov/Tanev then you go to Myers/Dillon.

I get the guys love him, but he's been a bad case of something you couldn't get rid of with a pill for most of his contract, even acknowledging his turnaround in the second half this year

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
There is a lot of recency bias here.

For most of his contract, Myers was just a bad player, notwithstanding he was grossly overpaid.

I would much rather give Tanev $5M and get an actual legit top 4 (top 2 if you consider his defensive liability) than $3M on Myers who might regress again.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Ya'll should wait for what Tanev, Zadorov, etc go for before clamoring about how re-signing Myers at 3mil is bad.

By all accounts Allvin tried to re-sign Zadorov and I trust that if a deal wasn't done, it was before it was for too much.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Me coming to HF to celebrate Joshua but seeing the Myers news

giphy.gif

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

For most of his contract, Myers was just a bad player, notwithstanding he was grossly overpaid.

I would much rather give Tanev $5M and get an actual legit top 4 (top 2 if you consider his defensive liability) than $3M on Myers who might regress again.

He was bad for 6mil. The bias is some sort of cost/value bias. Happens all the time once a player is getting overpaid. Suddenly they become completely bad a hockey even though if they were on a better deal, everyone would be losing their minds how great they are. It's wild. At 3mil, Myers is fine. If Myers was signed to 3mil for the last several years, no one would have batted an eye.

People also seem to think there's an infinite pile of defensemen available, that the ones that are would simply come for a ballpark number that works. Maybe Zadorov has priced himself out, who know what Tanev wants to do, etc. There's just a handful of capable dmen available and half the league vying for them.

Reactions: Phil Brooks

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Myers can’t defend odd man rushes, he can get discombobulated in his defensive zone coverage, he can be over-aggressive, and he can take stupid penalties. On the plus side, he is in great shape, still has decent mobility, is right handed, plays hard, and his teammates appear to like him. He also seems to be less vulnerable to brain cramps in Tocchet’s system and with coach Foote telling him what to do via remote control. IMO not a contract we can love but maybe one we can tolerate.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
ian cole was our second best dman in the first round then fell apart in the second after he had his ankle shredded

Cole has infinitely more miles on him than Myers does due to his playoff experience. He has 129 playoff games to Myers 61 playoff games. The dude has been through it. He has play 10+ playoff games in 4 of the past 7 seasons. He's a bloody beast for somehow tossing in another 13 playoff games last year at 35.

Reactions: Mr4legs

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He was bad for 6mil. The bias is some sort of cost/value bias. Happens all the time once a player is getting overpaid. Suddenly they become completely bad a hockey even though if they were on a better deal, everyone would be losing their minds how great they are. It's wild. At 3mil, Myers is fine. If Myers was signed to 3mil for the last several years, no one would have batted an eye.

People also seem to think there's an infinite pile of defensemen available, that the ones that are would simply come for a ballpark number that works. Maybe Zadorov has priced himself out, who know what Tanev wants to do, etc. There's just a handful of capable dmen available and half the league vying for them.

Honestly, Myers was just flat out bad, period, at times. He does really weird things way too often. Like a really tall Jan Bulis on D.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

They can still get tanev, Myers at 3m won't stop that. Zadorov at 5 would have...

I am no Myers fan but if you can get a tanev then I can see why they went this direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad