what do the Leafs do on offense?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I know they need to revamp the defense and they are in the process of doing that being on the verge of adding Tanev to the defense.

It also sounds like they are in on Zadorov and OEL too.

But what do they do up front?

At the time of this writing both Domi and Bertuzzi are about 30 hours away from free agency. You can't simply fill their spots with Marlies that's not going to work, the Marlies don't have the caliber of players that would allow them to just plug a couple guys into the top 6.

I'm personally hoping that Jeff Skinner is brought in, Domi and Bertuzzi combined scored 30 goals, Jeff Skinner himself scored 24, he's a better goal scorer than both Domi and Bertuzzi, and he should be relatively cheap considering he was just bought out.

I've been of the opinion that David Perron is all but official just based on how complimentary he's been of the coaches and management especially in regards to Berube and Savard.

If Perron comes in he will help for sure, but I'd prefer him as more of a Jarnkrok replacement, I'd like to see Jarnkrok traded today and Perron signed tomorrow, because as much as I like Jarnkrok, and I do quite a lot actually, I think Perron is a better depth piece both in the regular season and playoffs.

The other guy I'd look at is Jake Debrusk.

If Bertuzzi leaves Debrusk would be the ideal replacement.

There are other guys I'd look at like Duclair, Tarasenko, Barabonov as a bottom 6 guy but those are July 2nd guys.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The top 9 forward group is stacked with wings: Nylander, Marner, Knies, Robertson, McMann, Jarnkrok. But at C we have Matthews but we don't have a proper 2 C. Tavares is a 3C at this point and not a good fit with Nylander. They should sign Stephenson and put him between Nylander and Robertson.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Nick-Stephenson-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The top 9 forward group is stacked with wings: Nylander, Marner, Knies, Robertson, McMann, Jarnkrok. But at C we have Matthews but we don't have a proper 2 C. Tavares is a 3C at this point and not a good fit with Nylander. They should sign Stephenson and put him between Nylander and Robertson.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Nick-Stephenson-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok

Yeah I'm not sure why people keeping saying Tavares is now a 3rd line center It's just not true.

You can say he's not worth his cap hit that's fine and that's true.

But his production was hurt A LOT last year by Bertuzzi just not scoring for the 25% of the season and Tavares still had 65 points.

In what reality is a 65 point center a 3rd line center? because it sure as hell isn't this one.

Reactions: Kazparov

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Jeff Skinner doesn't have the snot to play on a Berube coached team.

Rather have Domi in the top 6 , at least he will hit and fight and protect his teammates. Skinner is soft. Not sure why you want him.

Really can't do much upfront until Tavares is off the books.

Reactions: CincoHolio

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
I want Domi back for sure. Perron would be fine. Debrusk would be good but not sure we can afford him if we get one of the big D available and hope to sign a goalie.

Im not expecting much just hoping we don’t sign anyone long term (3+) besides Domi. Lots of work to do and it can’t be done in a single offseason.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Jeff Skinner doesn't have the snot to play on a Berube coached team.

Rather have Domi in the top 6 , at least he will hit and fight and protect his teammates. Skinner is soft. Not sure why you want him.

Really can't do much upfront until Tavares is off the books.

They have to do something, like I said if Bertuzzi and Domi walk you can't just not replace them.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
They have to do something, like I said if Bertuzzi and Domi walk you can't just not replace them.
I'm reading reports Domi is re-signing and Bert is possibly as well. If they do we have enough bodies upfront.

If Bert goes for a bigger contract elsewhere then don't even sign another forward , use the savings for D/goalie spending. McMann , Knies and Robertson can play a bigger role nezt season.

Reactions: CincoHolio

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm reading reports Domi is re-signing and Bert is possibly as well. If they do we have enough bodies upfront.

If Bert goes for a bigger contract elsewhere then don't even sign another forward , use the savings for D/goalie spending. McMann , Knies and Robertson can play a bigger role nezt season.

Obviously if they sign extensions then we are set, I'd still like to see Perron signed in either casebecause what a 3rd piece he would be.

I don't think expecting them to do NOTHING up front is realistic because even if you are completely satisfied at wing, do you REALLY want Holmberg as the #3 center?

I like Holmberg he can play, #3 center? I don't know about that

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Yeah I'm not sure why people keeping saying Tavares is now a 3rd line center It's just not true.

You can say he's not worth his cap hit that's fine and that's true.

But his production was hurt A LOT last year by Bertuzzi just not scoring for the 25% of the season and Tavares still had 65 points.

In what reality is a 65 point center a 3rd line center? because it sure as hell isn't this one.
While Tavares may may be ok offensively as a 2C, his defensive abilities in the same role are subpar. They need to acquire a center regardless, as relying on Tavares and Kampf as the second and third best C's on the defensive side isn't good enough. Also Tavares and Nylander don't work. We need another C.

Reactions: Nineteen67

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
While Tavares may may be ok offensively as a 2C, his defensive abilities in the same role are subpar. They need to acquire a center regardless, as relying on Tavares and Kampf as the second and third best C's on the defensive side isn't good enough. Also Tavares and Nylander don't work. We need another C.

Oh I'm right there with you in terms of needing a new #3 center Kampf doesn't cut it as the #3 center.

I'm just not there when people say Tavares isn't a #2 center that's just not true.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I think it's less about the personnel, and more about how we score goals. Regular season - finesse, pass through 50 bodies for a highlight reel goal. We try to apply the same idea in the playoffs, and we fall flat.

If Berube can make us play true playoff hockey, and change the core's approach, then I would be less angry about riding out Marner for the year and then let him walk. I would rather trade him and use the cap space on D and in net because I just can't see him changing his pass first, shy away from contact game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad