Yes, very comparable to this

1719442365829.png

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yes, very comparable to this

View attachment 887740

When I saw this signing, my first thought was literally "I'm so glad we're past the days of giving out $3M deals to guys playing small roles for us", and Beagle was the first guy to come to mind.

And frankly, Blueger played a bigger role on the team last year than Beagle ever did. I respected Beagle's effort and try - he certainly wasn't a guy who just phoned it in during his time in Vancouver - he just wasn't very good at playing hockey.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Surprised a bit more on the term than the AAV, thought he’d be looking for at least one more year even at a lower salary. His numbers really don’t jump off the page in any aspect, so he was probably not getting a massive amount more than this regardless, but good to have some depth locked up when a bunch of it looks like it might walk.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
When I saw this signing, my first thought was literally "I'm so glad we're past the days of giving out $3M deals to guys playing small roles for us", and Beagle was the first guy to come to mind.

And frankly, Blueger played a bigger role on the team last year than Beagle ever did. I respected Beagle's effort and try - he certainly wasn't a guy who just phoned it in during his time in Vancouver - he just wasn't very good at playing hockey.
with beagle he was good at playing defensive hockey but he played it too much of the time he was on the ice.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Good signing. Was impressed with Blueger all year and especially in the playoffs. A versatile defensive player who chips in occasionally.

I'd like to see Pod and Aman play regular minutes as well. Hopefully we can somehow land another center but I wouldn't be averse to starting the season with someone like Sasson and then plugging the hole at the deadline if he's not effective.

Reactions: bh53 and Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure I'm too pumped about this.....seems like treading water to me, bringing back Blueger.

I get that he's good in the faceoff dot and on the PK.....but also had a 30-game goal-less drought last season on a team that was one of the highest scoring in the NHL.

Bottom line, the Canucks need a lot more offense from all their bottom-six forwards, especially Blueger. And checking his career stats on Hockey DB, there's no indication Blueger can deliver.

Hard not to argue that surely there were some better options than that out there on the UFA market.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Not sure I'm too pumped about this.....seems like treading water to me, bringing back Blueger.

I get that he's good in the faceoff dot and on the PK.....but also had a 30-game goal-less drought last season on a team that was one of the highest scoring in the NHL.

Bottom line, the Canucks need a lot more offense from all their bottom-six forwards, especially Blueger. And checking his career stats on Hockey DB, there's no indication Blueger can deliver.

Hard not to argue that surely there were some better options than that out there on the UFA market.
At the same price?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Wow. I was ready to give him 2M with term too. This is a gem of a contract.

Name someone better on the PK and likely willing to sign that cheaply. While I agree we need offensive depth, we can afford to have some players who lack in that aspect but make up for it elsewhere. Keep in mind, Blueger was apart of what made our third line deadly until Joshua got injured.

He also has no protection. So in the event things go south, we could easily waive him. He'll almost certainly get claimed and if not, it's 900k on the books.

Reactions: DarrenX

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
1.8 for a 4th line centre is jim benning territory

Jim Benning gave a 32 year Jay Beagle $3M for 4 years about 3.75% of the cap ($79.5M in 2018).

Allvin just signed a 29 year old $1.8M for 2 years about 2% of the cap ($88M in 2024), 3 years younger and 2 less years. That's better flexibility too.

Not the same territory.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

What were the better options on the UFA market?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

He was part of the best third line in the NHL, and at times just one of the best lines period last year.

And we desperately need some guys who can get the job done at a reduced cost if we are going to upgrade the top 6 and rebuild the blue line. Blueger does that extremely well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad