Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign G Arturs Silovs to 2-Year Contract, $0.85M AAV Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Glad we got this wrapped up. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops over the next couple of years. He came in clutch for us in the playoffs, but still has a ton of room to grow before he can be relied on for anything more than backing up Demko.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
With the following roster, the Canucks are expected to have 0.16m in cap space to start the season and not utilize LTIR.

Danton HeinenJT MillerBrock Boeser
Nils HoglanderElias PetterssonJake DeBrusk
Dakota JoshuaTeddy BluegerConor Garland
Kiefer SherwoodPius SuterVasily Podkolzin
Nils Aman
Quinn HughesFilip Hronek
Carson SoucyTyler MyersThatcher Demko
Derek ForbortVincent DesharnaisArturs Silovs
Mark FriedmanNoah Juulsen

You can squeeze a little more out by having PDG instead of Aman. Finding a way to get rid of Poolman's contract would net them a pretty significant gain.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Other than an offer sheet, Silovs had no negotiating power. Most likely the Canucks offered this exact contract the entire time and the negotiation was around it being a one-way deal.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
With the following roster, the Canucks are expected to have 0.16m in cap space to start the season and not utilize LTIR.

Danton HeinenJT MillerBrock Boeser
Nils HoglanderElias PetterssonJake DeBrusk
Dakota JoshuaTeddy BluegerConor Garland
Kiefer SherwoodPius SuterVasily Podkolzin
Nils Aman
Quinn HughesFilip Hronek
Carson SoucyTyler MyersThatcher Demko
Derek ForbortVincent DesharnaisArturs Silovs
Mark FriedmanNoah Juulsen

You can squeeze a little more out by having PDG instead of Aman. Finding a way to get rid of Poolman's contract would net them a pretty significant gain.
With only 0.16M in space, are they better off just utilizing LTIR? Or is it better to accrue cap space and do the the daily send down/recall thing to maximize cap space by the TDL?

Reactions: Lindgren and Peen

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
With only 0.16M in space, are they better off just utilizing LTIR? Or is it better to accrue cap space and do the the daily send down/recall thing to maximize cap space by the TDL?

That's with a 23-player roster. You can tinker around the edges with the 13F and back-up defense spots, and do some smaller things while staying out of LTIR. I doubt they do, but maybe now that's Silovs signed they look to find this year's Pius Suter etc.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

It's the question I've been pondering this entire time. They don't have enough capspace to accrue anything meaningful nor can they absorb any injuries that would require IR. They can get to about 1m in space by waiving Aman instead of PDG and waiving one of Friedman/Juulsen. They can't play the recall game because, as of right now, don't project to have anyone on the roster that isn't eligible for waivers. They could do it by sneaking people through waivers early on but that will run out pretty quickly given the games player and days on roster requirements before those players are eligible for waivers again. So to even do that you have to get through training camp completely healthy, which the Canucks haven't been able to do the last two seasons.

The easiest thing to do is bite the bullet and find a way to trade Poolman's contract.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A little bit less than I expected on a two-year term. Was thinking more ~$1M for two-years, so this helps them accumulate a sliver of cap space.

It's the question I've been pondering this entire time. They don't have enough capspace to accrue anything meaningful nor can they absorb any injuries that would require IR. They can get to about 1m in space by waiving Aman instead of PDG and waiving one of Friedman/Juulsen. They can't play the recall game because, as of right now, don't project to have anyone on the roster that isn't eligible for waivers. They could do it by sneaking people through waivers early on but that will run out pretty quickly given the games player and days on roster requirements before those players are eligible for waivers again. So to even do that you have to get through training camp completely healthy, which the Canucks haven't been able to do the last two seasons.

The easiest thing to do is bite the bullet and find a way to trade Poolman's contract.
I am curious why it seems (and I think Drance and Dhaliwal have reported this) Allvin is very uninterested in moving Poolman's contract. It's for only 1 year, you would think it would cost less than moving Mikheyev.

It would give them a ton more flexibility, especially at the deadline being able to accumulate a lot more cap space throughout the season.

Reactions: Lindgren and Vector

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007

If they have any intentions on making a deadline move, they pretty much have to move Poolman's contract before the season starts.

Catch-22 in that if they decide to not make any upgrades, getting rid of assets for nothing in return doesn't feel great. I think having the option open to acquire up to a 6 million dollar player vs being limited to a 3 million dollar one (I don't know exact numbers but I'm guestimating here) makes it worth exploring.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Other than an offer sheet, Silovs had no negotiating power. Most likely the Canucks offered this exact contract the entire time and the negotiation was around it being a one-way deal.
Yeah at first I sneered at this deal until I realized that it was one way and for two years. Just under 2 mil in guaranteed money is solid and if what I think is going to happen actually does happen (Demko continuing to decline and be injury prone and Silovs continues to improve) then his next contract will be a doozy...

Reactions: dwarf

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
A little bit less than I expected on a two-year term. Was thinking more ~$1M for two-years, so this helps them accumulate a sliver of cap space.

I am curious why it seems (and I think Drance and Dhaliwal have reported this) Allvin is very uninterested in moving Poolman's contract. It's for only 1 year, you would think it would cost less than moving Mikheyev.

It would give them a ton more flexibility, especially at the deadline being able to accumulate a lot more cap space throughout the season.

Apparently, and I can't remember which reporter was talking about it, the Canucks have consistently tried to move off of Poolman's contract but the price has been very high. Teams liked Mikheyev a lot more and feel they could recoup some of the cost by trading him for an asset later. Poolman is pure capspace and the few teams that can absorb 2.5m in capspace are putting a high price on that.

If they have any intentions on making a deadline move, they pretty much have to move Poolman's contract before the season starts.

Catch-22 in that if they decide to not make any upgrades, getting rid of assets for nothing in return doesn't feel great. I think having the option open to acquire up to a 6 million dollar player vs being limited to a 3 million dollar one (I don't know exact numbers but I'm guestimating here) makes it worth exploring.

Given their reluctance to part with what few assets that have, I wonder if they will try to package him with a Hoglander/Podkolzin for a useful but slightly burdensome player. Like Brock McGinn (1y/2.75m).

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad