Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Umm andersson plays more than Weegar and I think Weegar is the better offensive guy but he’s not going to get PP1 time here with Hughes so that part of his game is going to be wasted here.
I think Andersson is the better fit for us, would fit in perfectly with Hughes allowing Hronek to slide down a pair and maybe anchor his own.
I think cap wise it makes more sense to get a guy at 4.5ish to play with Hughes and let the 7.25M guy to anchor his own pair.

If we did acquire Weegar somehow, I'd be half tempted to run both him and Hughes on PP1. I know that's huge rarity nowadays but the biggest reason our powerplay collapsed last season was due to its predictability. Doing something like that, thus allowing Hughes to play more of a rover role would be exact opposite of predictable.

Of course, this is all hypothetical seeing as I don't see any way we could fit Weegar under the cap without double retention and that plus the acquisition itself would cost a ton. There's no shot we'd get Weegar without Lekk or Willander going the other way.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Umm andersson plays more than Weegar and I think Weegar is the better offensive guy but he’s not going to get PP1 time here with Hughes so that part of his game is going to be wasted here.
I think Andersson is the better fit for us, would fit in perfectly with Hughes allowing Hronek to slide down a pair and maybe anchor his own.

Well Andersson played mostly alongside Weegar and Andersson struggled. Weegar is superior defensively and both the eye test and stats support this. The previous year Andersson was better with Weegar than Hanifin.

In terms of fit, we also have Willander (if he's not traded) that we hope to be part of the future.

I think cap wise it makes more sense to get a guy at 4.5ish to play with Hughes and let the 7.25M guy to anchor his own pair.

I think whatever works best for the team so I'm not sure about whether it makes sense to have your 2nd best Dman anchor his own pairing (if he plays on the opposite side of the team's best Dman and they have chemistry together). Certainly there are quite a few Cup winners who have paired their two best Dmen together. Florida won pairing their two best defensemen together. So did Colorado.

The point is that Weegar is better and more consistent than Andersson, and has shown he can play well with different defensemen. Hughes is capable of anchoring his own pairing but he won the Norris playing alongside Hronek. So if you're talking about fit, Weegar is basically plug and play and you can keep Hughes and Hronek together.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well Andersson played mostly alongside Weegar and Andersson struggled. Weegar is superior defensively and both the eye test and stats support this. The previous year Andersson was better with Weegar than Hanifin.

In terms of fit, we also have Willander (if he's not traded) that we hope to be part of the future.

I think whatever works best for the team so I'm not sure about whether it makes sense to have your 2nd best Dman anchor his own pairing (if he plays on the opposite side of the team's best Dman and they have chemistry together). Certainly there are quite a few Cup winners who have paired their two best Dmen together. Florida won pairing their two best defensemen together. So did Colorado.

The point is that Weegar is better and more consistent than Andersson, and has shown he can play well with different defensemen. Hughes is capable of anchoring his own pairing but he won the Norris playing alongside Hronek. So if you're talking about fit, Weegar is basically plug and play and you can keep Hughes and Hronek together.
Didn’t pay that much to the Flames last season so not sure if Weegar was better or Andersson. But yeah I am just looking at pure stats and it looks like Andersson has always been the higher min d.

but honestly I prefer M Petterson, seems like his profile is closer to the type of guys they normally like. Big ass 2 way D.

Hughes - Hronek
Petterson - Desharnais
Soucy - Myers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad