Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
big overpayment for what he offers. guess hughes will have his partner for the next 8 years. now that means Z is gone.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t see why some people say it’s risky… Defensemen usually get better as they get close to 30, they don’t get worse. In my opinion this is a pretty safe contract. So what if he had some inconsistent play at times? Overall he played like a top pairing RHD, those don’t grow on trees. 7.25mil for a top pair RHD, through his entire prime, for 8 years. Sounds okay to me.

The inconsistency is the issue because he doesn't have size or steady defensive play to fall back on. If his poor 2nd half play is due to injuries, he's also prone to injuries (which is not unusual for defensemen). Hronek's floor is lower than what I would like for $7.25M AAV.

With that said, all-situations ~27 year old RHD who can put up points don't grow on trees. The demonstrated chemistry with Hughes also adds value.

Over in the Zadorov thread and reading the speculated contract demands got me thinking that we were like $1M apart for both players. If the Canucks were to give that extra $1M to Hronek or Zadorov who would prefer? I think given Hronek's age and top pairing RHD usage, keeping Hronek makes more sense.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
PSA: Dont f*** with Vector.
giphy.gif

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
i don’t love hronek and tbh he was our best trade chip and would have allowed us to keep guys i wanted to keep more but this AAV is practically not an iverpay at all, and given the term and his age won’t be for much of the life of the deal.

so i can’t hate this

curious what kind of trade protection he got though. hronek on a fair deal is a pretty good asset.
I tend to agree and hope his play in the playoffs was injury related.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm fine with the AAV. Term is what it is. Trade protection is about as team friendly as can be expected.

I do wish the contract was more front loaded and had less/no signing bonuses over the last 2/3 years.

Give the contract a B+ overall. Getting it done was always a priority to me.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
And ... Hronek is excited to be in Vancouver, he likes playing with Quinn but is fine with playing on a different pair, he appreciates the coaches and feels that he can talk to them about anything, and he's working on getting stronger in order to maintain a high level of play through the season.

He prefers Champions League to the Euros.

Back to your regular programming ...

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Hronek is meeting with the media shortly. This will be exciting.
Fight fight fight fight fight

And ... Hronek is excited to be in Vancouver, he likes playing with Quinn but is fine with playing on a different pair, he appreciates the coaches and feels that he can talk to them about anything, and he's working on getting stronger in order to maintain a high level of play through the season.

He prefers Champions League to the Euros.

Back to your regular programming ...
Can’t blame him, Czechia isn’t doing too hot.

Reactions: Lindgren

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
A lot of money for a guy that struggles immensely with zone exits and I don’t think can carry his own pairing.

I still attribute a huge amount of his stats to Hughes, who is that good.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't mind signing him, and I get the scarcity. The only issue I have is whether you'd have been better off moving some cap around, and allocating the bulk of this to two mid-tier right-side UFAs (ie. somebody like Walker and Tanev/Carrier for like $9M AAV total), and creating more defensive depth. This was probably a bridge-to-far in terms of risk and complexity, but still.

The defense is probably going to be pretty top-heavy next year, and I somewhat worry on the Hughes-Hronek workload. If Myers leaves for more money, this gets really interesting.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I know this isn't a logical way to look at the whole situation, but in my mind we traded Horvat for Hronek essentially, so considering we have had 1 year of Hronek at $4.4m, and then 8 more years at $7.25m (27 to 35 years old seasons), comparing to Horvat at 8 years at $8.5m almost immediately (28 to 36 years old seasons), I think we did pretty good overall.

The contract is fair. There is downside risk if we get "2nd half Hronek" for the majority of the contract, but also upside reward if we get "1st half Hronek" for the majority.

Having Hronek and Willander on the top 2 pairs going forward seems very solid, assuming Willander hits his pre-draft projection. RHD is the toughest position to fill, if we can have Hronek-Willander locked up the top 2 spots there, I think we are in good shape.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I know this isn't a logical way to look at the whole situation, but in my mind we traded Horvat for Hronek essentially, so considering we have had 1 year of Hronek at $4.4m, and then 8 more years at $7.25m (27 to 35 years old seasons), comparing to Horvat at 8 years at $8.5m almost immediately (28 to 36 years old seasons), I think we did pretty good overall.

The contract is fair. There is downside risk if we get "2nd half Hronek" for the majority of the contract, but also upside reward if we get "1st half Hronek" for the majority.

Having Hronek and Willander on the top 2 pairs going forward seems very solid, assuming Willander hits his pre-draft projection. RHD is the toughest position to fill, if we can have Hronek-Willander locked up the top 2 spots there, I think we are in good shape.

This is an incredibly logical way to look at the situation because it's basically exactly what happened.

We had 3 quality Cs and we traded one of them to address a weakness at RHD, and the two players are now both signed for a similar length of time.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Uh, when did Miller not live up to his contract?

Even at his worst he was still value for his bargain previous deal and then he stepped up massively with a career year in the first year of his new contract.
That is utter bullshit.

He singlehandedly tanked the 2022-23 season.

He had higher GA than many goalies in the league in the first few weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: Breakers and God

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad